Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Moisturiser for dry sensitive skin

(82 Posts)
Aglassofroseplease Thu 05-Dec-19 20:55:49

I’m looking for the holy grail of moisturisers - does it exist?
I prefer creams without too many irritating chemical as I end up itchy and sore. I’ve tried various creams and as I’ve got older and we go into winter and cold windy weather my skin is feeling dry and a bit sore. Anyone got any suggestions, please

Baggs Thu 05-Dec-19 21:00:15

Simple is good. Also Boots own brand without perfume.

I've always had dry skin. Avoiding anything (soap, shampoo, deodorant, moisturiser) containing perfume of any kind makes a huge difference. I don't use anything other than those four things. And I only use soda crystals in the washing machine.

Cotswoldslass Thu 05-Dec-19 21:01:34

Have you tried the Aveeno range? I have dry, sensitive skin and find them really good (I use the body wash and the body cream, they have other lotions and creams). When I was undergoing radiotherapy for breast cancer my consultant recommended the range and I have used them ever since.

Chewbacca Thu 05-Dec-19 21:05:34

Aldi's Lacura Caviar moisturiser range is excellent and starts at £6.99. They also do a serum

ananimous Thu 05-Dec-19 21:06:05

***My secret... I use generic baby moisturizer a drop the size if a small pea, and have done for years, (was recommended to by my dr) - Anyway, People always complement me on my skin, radiant glow, etc

LadyGracie Thu 05-Dec-19 21:22:46

I agree Aveeno is great for dry skin.

ExperiencedNotOld Thu 05-Dec-19 22:20:53

I’ve rosacea that flares up from time to time and Child’s Farm baby moisturiser (£5) calms it better than anything else. In fact I now use it under makeup and before I apply my usual moisturiser, La Roche Posay Toulerine for sensitive skin (£12)..
Believe me, I’ve tried them all and at all prices.

Hetty58 Thu 05-Dec-19 22:59:12

Coconut oil.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 05-Dec-19 23:06:08

Aveeno everytime use the moisturiser n the shampoo too by far my fav and quite reasonably priced too , need very little and the cream sinks in well

Dee1012 Thu 05-Dec-19 23:41:52

I tried Aveeno alongside many others and nothing agreed with my skin.
Someone recommended La Roche Posay and I've been using that for about 18 months now.
Lovely on my skin, doesn't irritate at all and it's not too expensive.

jusnoneed Fri 06-Dec-19 08:50:00

My son suffers with dry skin and has found Aveeno to be the best thing for him.
I only ever used baby lotion (also as a make up remover when I used to wear it) as I think if it's good for their skin it's good for anyone.

tiredoldwoman Fri 06-Dec-19 09:49:31

Bio oil ! Best thing ever , a tiny amount only is needed . Warmed between your palms then massaged into your face and neck , the rest around your nails then I smooth my hair with my palms . Nothing else needed !

Babs758 Fri 06-Dec-19 09:58:53

Aveeno for legs and scars and l’occitaine divine for face. Expensive but a little goes a long way and everything else brings me out in spots!

kaycee Fri 06-Dec-19 10:03:22

I agree Bio Oil is very good. Have used Waitrose Baby Bottom Butter in the past and that was brilliant not sure if they still do it.

paintingthetownred Fri 06-Dec-19 10:04:38

Would like to go with Weleda Skin food. They do a light version as well. Wouldn't change mine now.

ToadsMum Fri 06-Dec-19 10:20:02

Clarins Double Serum - pricey but worth it - before any moisturiser really increases the effect.
Plastic surgeons always recommend Nivea - for my son after skin graft and someone I worked with after something removed from her face - we always have it in the house since. So if skin is wintery dry, often use that for a while.

Bluegrass Fri 06-Dec-19 10:21:00

I have tried a few pricey items just as a treat but always return to my old favourite. For face and neck, I love Nivea daily essentials, oil free moisturising day cream. The other versions are night cream or sensitive but they are quite different. For me, the oil free is super, it's inexpensive and worth a try.

Graygirl Fri 06-Dec-19 10:23:53

Take a look at SBC , have used there ranges for years skin very sensitive but direct from there website or qvc. Also body shop hemp face winter protection as a emergency stand by.

jaylucy Fri 06-Dec-19 10:27:01

Aveeno is good and this summer I have found Sukin which apparently an Australian brand that you can buy from Amazon (I got a 100ml pump bottle for about £5)
SBC is also a good, UK company that make water based gels that you can use on your face and body.
I have also started using Rosehip oil - a few drops patted onto your face and decolletage at night or add a couple of drops to any moisturiser.
I also like the Lacura range from Aldi, but it is so popular that you have to be there at the right time - Lidl's own brand is also excellent, all ranges.

NM1568 Fri 06-Dec-19 10:29:02

The Aveeno range was recommended to me by a consultant dermatologist . I have a hereditary dry skin condition and in the past paid big bucks thinking you have to do this to get a better quality product. It’s really not necessary xx

Grandmagrotbags Fri 06-Dec-19 10:31:23

I swear by tropic skincare. I find it really feeds my skin

tropicskincare.com/

Madmaggie Fri 06-Dec-19 10:33:21

I have rosacea and as others have said La Roche Posey but check it out online for best deal & I only use for a flare up. For normal days I am also using bodyshop vitamin E face cream and its lovely. Got it on an offer and its most economical. Feels good on, sinks in . I've tried loads & am happy with this. Im 70.

pinkquartz Fri 06-Dec-19 10:36:38

For without chemicals Neals Yard is very good for dry skin. I use it for my face and neck.

Aveeno is fab for dry and itchy skin.

Magrithea Fri 06-Dec-19 10:38:38

@aglassofroseplease have a look at Wow You! www.wowyou.com It's chemical free and smells lovely! I have to declare an interest as the company belongs to an old school friend of my DS but it is lovely stuff!

flaxwoven Fri 06-Dec-19 10:38:46

I have life-long ichthyosis for which there is no cure, only moisturising. Very dry flaky skin. The best creams for sensitive skin are those with no perfumes such as E45 or Aveeno. I use Simple face cream, very delicate and soft. E45 lotion or cream or Aveeno on the body. I used to buy Body Shop vitamin E face cream but the price has gone up so much. £14 for a tiny jar. Nivea is also good and can be used on the face. For lips I use Vaseline and MAC lipstick which is creamy. I can't wear makeup because of the flaky skin. I use Lidl hand cream which has a lovely smell of camomile and very cheap. Palmers cocoa butter is nice and thick but difficult to squeeze out of the tube.