Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

What to wear while walking the dog.

(30 Posts)
Teetime Sat 04-Jan-20 14:49:24

The Telegraph colour supplement has a 'helpful' article which describes what we should wear while walking the dog. As I only rarely walk my daughters dog should I invest in stylish/expensive clothes to be part of the dog walking fraternity/sorority? I thought it was all gardening jackets and wellies. I wouldnt want to be thought unstylish. grin

MiniMoon Sat 04-Jan-20 15:05:17

Hmm! I don't have a dog any longer, but when I did walk a dog I wore the following:
A pair of waterproof shoes, snow boots if required.
Regatta waterproof jacket
Jeans or jeggings
Scarf and hat (both home crocheted). (Winter time)

Summertime similar but without the outerwear.

It was always stylish enough for me, and I never met anyone dressed any differently. ?

I don't take the Telegraph, so can't advise.?

CanadianGran Sat 04-Jan-20 15:05:59

As long as you're not in pyjamas... there was an earlier conversation here regarding the use of sleepwear as streetwear. shock

I bought the best Helly Hansen jacket last year. It's windproof, waterproof, the hood stays on and the pockets zip up to keep gloves or phone safe.

sodapop Sat 04-Jan-20 16:30:41

Waterproof coat and trousers if necessary, my waterproof trousers are hugely wide and I resemble a balloon when wearing them. Hat with flaps, washable gloves. The true dog walker is not concerned with style but practicality.

SirChenjin Sat 04-Jan-20 16:55:32

The dog owners here wear wellies or walking boots, weather appropriate coats, jeans and hats/gloves/scarves if necessary. The Telegraph would be very disappointed in them I think!

Ellianne Sat 04-Jan-20 17:00:35

Barbour jacket, Muck wellies, jeans.

kittylester Sat 04-Jan-20 17:05:23

It's a good excuse for clothes shopping though, teetime!

merlotgran Sat 04-Jan-20 17:35:55

I practically live in jeans and jumpers in the winter so I just chuck on my Barbour jacket and boots and I'm good to go.

Scarf and woolly hat if it's really cold.

Nannylovesshopping Sat 04-Jan-20 18:25:27

Anything that washes well, the spaniel is a jumper, and goes through everything rather than round?

Barmeyoldbat Sat 04-Jan-20 19:28:50

early in the morning, pj's, wellies and a warm waterproof jacket. grin

Oopsminty Sat 04-Jan-20 19:39:35

I don't tend to think about my attire when preparing to walk the dog

I tend to just throw a coat over whatever I'm wearing

And wellies at the moment

Muddy in the woods at the moment

Oopsminty Sat 04-Jan-20 19:40:02

Too many moments

Iam64 Sat 04-Jan-20 20:10:05

Old jeans or cords, thermal vest, warm fleece, hat, gloves, thick warm socks, walking boots or wellies (wellies if in the fields which resemble lakes) and a warm waterproof coat.
I have to very hairy dogs and need to take half the clothing off when I get home, to shower the dogs. Remind how much I love the dogs....

Iam64 Sat 04-Jan-20 20:11:25

Whoops, should have responded to the OP, Teetime, I'm so relieved I didn't see this article and almost wish you hadn't told us about it.
Stylish clothes for dog walking! is it even A Thing.

Daisymae Sat 04-Jan-20 20:18:38

Waterproof jacket and wellies mainly at the moment. I also have a trendy black woolly hat!

M0nica Sat 04-Jan-20 20:26:00

Well, the dog walkers that go past our house every day, and there are a lot, and those I meet when walking myself, (we do not have a dog), wear anything and everything, according to the weather. Generally sensible shoes/boots. Currently lots of new Christmas knitwear, coast and jackets of all sorts or jeans and hoodies, However, I live in a rural area.

If you live in a town, while shoes would be sensible, I would dress as I would dress day to day.

To be honest, does it matter?

quizqueen Sat 04-Jan-20 20:32:59

Whatever dog walkers (or just walkers) wear in the dark, it is should be light coloured clothing so they can be seen by on coming cars. That goes for cyclists too, who are stupid enough to ride without lights on their bikes- plenty of those silly buggers around!

Hetty58 Sat 04-Jan-20 20:41:10

No cars in the fields at the end of the road - so, as above, waterproof hiking boots, long Regatta padded coat, jeans, hat, scarf, gloves - and a stylish roll of poop bags!

Missfoodlove Sat 04-Jan-20 21:03:35

I once walked my dog in my pyjamas before I was to get ready for work. I did have a long waxed coat over my pyjamas, this was fine but I slipped and twisted my ankle!
There was a fast running stream where I fell so I took my boot off and put my foot in the stream and basically froze it, this was enough pain relief for me to be able to get home.
I never walked my dog in my pyjamas again!

BradfordLass72 Sun 05-Jan-20 03:32:27

High-Visibility vests which slip over clothing are essential if you are going anywhere near traffic.

A stout stick to ward off other dogs and muggers.
A wee hip flask to help you recover after warding off other dogs and muggers.

Stout walking boots. These should be emersed, when new in warm wateer (while you are wearing them of course) and then walked dry so they fit the specific shape of your feet.
(This almost caused divorce in our house when my husband insisted I do it but By jingoes he was right and I had the most comfortable walking boots ever from then on. They took me hundreds of miles ! grin

Weather-appropritate clothing and from what I remember of the UK, that's a waterproof mac; a balaclava and scarf; heavy wool jersey, socks and thermal underwear. In winter you may need even more.

Portable GPS in case you get lost, unless that is your intention, plus one on the dog's collar in case it gets lost but dogs usually know how to get home anyway. Well, I've never seen one using a GPS but it may be different in the UK.

Emergency supplies in case the aforementioned GPS develops a glitch. My friend's took her to a beach - she wanted the shopping center.

Emergency supplies (according to my dear departed) consists of enough food to keep you alive at least 3 days; 2 litres of water; an emergency foil thermal blanket to prevent hypothermia, a whistle and a First Aid Kit.

Of course, if you're only going to the park......

millymouge Sun 05-Jan-20 04:05:10

For walking my dogs it is a wind proof, waterproof fur lined jacket, jeans, wellingtons, thick scarf and gloves. Underneath are thermal top and leggings. Said jacket must have a fur lined hood, large pockets for the essential poo bags, biscuit treats, mobile phone, several paper hankies, a packet of wipes for mucky hands and a couple of peppermints. Hopefully in the summer the thermal top and leggings can be discarded. Can be a bit windy and chilly where I live

Nannytopsy Sun 05-Jan-20 05:15:18

Do not wear long floppy scarves or blouses with floppy bows.
Sis i L found out the hard way when her blouse came untied as she picked up poo ...
I am knitting a neck warmer / cowl atm for dog walking to avoid this ?.

Nanabas Sun 05-Jan-20 08:03:18

What did the article suggest as suitable attire for dog walking?
Was it as practical as a fashion feature I once saw - a smiling model model potting up in a greenhouse wearing a pale cashmere sweater !
Since then I've always felt slightly under dressed in my usual old gardening gear ?

TrendyNannie6 Sun 05-Jan-20 08:07:56

What ever I happen to be wearing at the time, I don’t wear any particular attire but don’t wear pjs, always wear thick coat and boots though

GrannyLaine Sun 05-Jan-20 08:15:08

BradfordLass72
You are hilarious.
grin grin grin