Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

How many pairs of boots do you consider reasonable?

(78 Posts)
MawB Mon 06-Jan-20 18:00:28

I have just bought a very comfortable - but smart pair of grey suede boots. Did I need them? Probably not as I already have a pair of fur lined grey suede boots, but I am telling myself this new pair are “smarter”
Anyway, is there any reason we should not have several pairs of boots in the same way we have several pairs of shoes, not just one in each colour
So counting up my boots - oh dear , but sone are “smart” others, utility - black leather -2, tan leather -3, black suede -1, brown suede -1, blue suede -1, grey suede -2, tan suede-1.
Anyone prepared to make me feel less like Imelda Marcos?

Hetty58 Mon 06-Jan-20 18:05:55

Sad really - so many dead animals to put your feet in!

Doodledog Mon 06-Jan-20 18:09:48

Not me grin. I have lots of boots too. I tend to wear boots and sandals more than shoes, but even so, there is no reason why you shouldn't have as many pairs as you like - you are paying for them.

Also, boots fulfil differing functions. Some are to keep your feet warm, some are to stop you slipping in the snow, some are for comfort, some are to look nice and set off an outfit, some are for going on long walks etc. There is nothing wrong with having them for as many of those situations (or others) as you find yourself in.

Enjoy your boots!

MawB Mon 06-Jan-20 18:19:53

Oh Hetty for heaven’s sake, stop trying to make me feel guilty, it won’t work.
I eat meat, wear real wool, leather and suede, and have leather handbags and gloves.
Animals are raised for domestic consumption , and while I like to know they have been raised and slaughtered humanely, but don’t expect me to add to the indestructible plastic in our landfill or fibres in the sea from acrylic or other artificial fabrics.
Save your breath to cool your vegan porridge.

Oopsminty Mon 06-Jan-20 18:24:47

Never feel guilty about buying boots

MamaCaz Mon 06-Jan-20 18:26:38

I have one pair of knee-length brown boots with a (lowish) heel and one new pair of very casual, tan coloured shorter boots that are nearly flat.
One or the other of these pairs will be worn nearly every day from mid-autumn to spring, every year until they drop apart.

Apart from those, I have a pair of wellies and a pair of walking boots.

That's more than enough boots for me. They suit my lifestyle and cover all my needs.

Sara65 Mon 06-Jan-20 18:28:54

I think I’ve got a long way to go to get near Imelda Marcos, I have three pairs which I wear to work, black, purple and sort of grey/mauve. Three pairs of not going to work, red, black purple. Some shiny black boots with bits of gold bling, special occasions, some Uggs, long walks. Several pairs bought, but never yet worn.

quizqueen Mon 06-Jan-20 18:33:53

All my boots are very old and falling apart so I need to buy 3 new pairs for different functions. I never really wear shoes, just sandals, boots, crocs and trainers.

MawB Mon 06-Jan-20 18:37:37

Sar65 I am feeling better already! smilesmile

SirChenjin Mon 06-Jan-20 18:37:42

I have a pair of knee length black suede boots, two brown knee length (1 heel, 1 flat), 6 pairs of ankle boots (combination of colours and heel heights), walking boots and posh wellies.

wildswan16 Mon 06-Jan-20 18:44:06

I have one pair of very comfy boots (ankle ones). I really can't see the point of having any more.

kittylester Mon 06-Jan-20 18:48:03

Quite a few - mostly just wear the comfy brown Clarks. Which makes it worse really! blush

janeainsworth Mon 06-Jan-20 18:49:40

Do I have to include my hiking boots?

Apart from them I have: 1 pair of brown heeled knee-high boots, 1 pair brown mid-calf cowboy style boots, 2 pairs flat knee-high black boots , 1 pair black ankle boots, 1 pair black biker boots, 1 pair grey suede fur-lined boots, 1 pair grey suede low-heeled ankle boots, 1 pair flat lace-up brown suede fur-lined boots.

In my defence, some of these boots are more 20 years old but I still like & wear them. I've just brought my brown knee-high boots which have a stiletto heel and pointy toes back into circulation after an absence of about 15 years. I'm really glad I didn't chuck them out.

Hetty Animals die. If boots and shoes are made from their skin, ultimately these articles will decompose.
Unlike plastic shoes, and bags.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 06-Jan-20 18:59:52

MawB I started counting and stopped at twenty, in my defence I look after all footwear and keep them for ages blush

SueDonim Mon 06-Jan-20 19:04:00

One pair of purple sheepskin boots for very cold/snowy weather.
One pair of wellies for digging us out of snow.
One pair of black ankle boots.
One pair of raspberry-coloured suede ankle boots.

I rarely wear any of them as I prefer shoes, or sandals, if truth be told!

Where do you keep all your boots? I honestly don’t think I’d have the room for any more than I have now, and we have a good sized house.

craftyone Mon 06-Jan-20 19:09:18

garden 1 walking 1 smart short 2 smart longer 3

6 pairs are real suede with sheepskin lining, will last me a heck of a lot longer than any plastic boots, which I would not buy anyway out of consideration for the planet and for fish and hence mankind

craftyone Mon 06-Jan-20 19:10:35

oh and one pair of indoor sheepskin boots for freezing weather

DoraMarr Mon 06-Jan-20 19:16:56

Well, I can’t keep up with some of you, but I do love ankle boots, and probably have more than I need. Grey suede sounds lovely! I’m contemplating some cream ones reduced on the Pikolinos website. Or maybe the same ones in black. I bought my first pair of Blundstones this winter and they are so comfortable. Unfortunately I can’t get on with Doc Martins any more, or I would have some cherry red ones too!

Calendargirl Mon 06-Jan-20 19:18:42

One pair sturdy laced ankle boots, faded sort of plum colour, worn daily in winter.
One pair knee high sheepskin lined Dubarry boots, expensive and too warm unless really cold, given to me by a friend for looking after her dog one Christmas.
One pair snow boots.
One pair walking boots.
Two pairs Wellingtons, one pair leak but they are Hunters, so I use them if it’s dry, if that makes sense.

Marydoll Mon 06-Jan-20 20:03:15

Maw, I'm too embarrassed to say! blush
I am Imelda Marcos re-incarnated. Enjoy your purchases!

GrannyGravy13 Mon 06-Jan-20 20:16:26

Calendargirl I am envious of your Dubarry boots envy

Willow500 Mon 06-Jan-20 20:52:15

Oh dear - I think I have more pairs of boots than shoes and that's saying something

Favourite ones are taupe ankle boots with fur trim and an identical black pair I bought on eBay for a song a couple of months ago with red laces.

I also have 2 pairs of Emu boots in navy and green, brown leather cowboy style knee booths which are practically falling apart, black knee length faux suede with leopard patterned heels and about 8-10 pairs of other boots I've had for years and can't bear to part with including one pair of thigh high black leather stilettos which I can't walk in and a pair of New Rock heavy metal boots only worn at a festival for one weekend which resulted in such terrible blisters I had to visit the medical tent as soon as I arrived hmm grin

TerriBull Mon 06-Jan-20 21:25:21

I've got quite a lot, the knee high ones I've had for at least 5 years. I tend to buy ankle boots more these days, I think I've got more than a dozen, not sure because they're spread round the house and then I forget about them until I happen upon them again. The spirit of Imelda Marocs lurks within on the occasions I pass certain shoe shops, I try and fight her off, but sometimes well I just succomb. I've just ordered a pair of FitFlop ankle boots on line, it seems that brand has diversified into footwear for all seasons and I always find their products very comforable.......and they were in the sale.

Iam64 Mon 06-Jan-20 21:31:39

I too am Imelda Marcos and I didn't know.

- walking boots
- one pair suede knee length lace up boots
- one pair beautiful knee length brown leather boots I bought 12 years ago when still working. Wore them recently.
- 3 pairs ankle boots with small heels
- one pair red leather mid calf length boots
- one pair black flat leather ankle boots, bought in the sales which are so comfortable I scarcely take them off.

I also have a pair of wellies, expensive but half price in a sale after my old wellies split at age 10.

My collection of boots started 12 years ago and I've added a pair when I've been unable to leave a shop without them

Obviously I'm not vegan

merlotgran Mon 06-Jan-20 21:55:54

I don't have many pairs of boots but they get plenty of use.

Two pairs of wellies, one pair of knee high leather boots, one pair of grey leather ankle boots, one pair of walking boots and one pair of Skechers On the Go ankle boots.