Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

I seem to smell of mould!

(50 Posts)
phoenix Tue 18-Feb-20 21:40:38

Evening all, and good wishes.

I posted previously about a Christmas present of bath bombs from Mr P.

Well, I only had 2 left, and needed to have a bit of a soak so that it gave the hard skin remover gadget for my feet at least a fair chance.

(If I don't keep on top of the hard skin it's a bit of a toss up as to whether I need a chiropodist or a farrier blush)

So, I went for the one labelled "Oceans 11" ( they all had daft names). According to the description, it was supposed to be (and I quote) "Smells of sun and sea blended with orange and pink rose to tickle your senses".

I turned on the taps, removed the paper wrapper, tried to remove the inner plastic one, failed, looked for the bathroom scissors, found them (hooray) managed to get the plastic off without stabbing myself (double hooray!) bunged it in the bath.

Toddled off to get my bathrobe to hang on the radiator, my book (bath is a rare event, may as well make the most of it) and got ready to immerse myself.

The general aroma in the bathroom wasn't particularly, well, aromatic, but in for a penny in for a pound.

Well, the bath was run, I was sort of committed (I had fitted a new roller on my foot thing) so got in.

Reader, (if indeed you have got this far) I did not linger. Just stayed long enough to soften my hooves feet.

On reaching the sitting room, I mentioned it to Mr P. He had a sniff of my arm and tactfully said that as far as he could tell, I didn't smell of sun, sea etc (see description above) and when pressed, agreed it was somewhat reminiscent of mould/mildew! confused

I think I will be having a shower before getting into bed.

If I still smell of mould after that I will start to worry..........

phoenix Tue 18-Feb-20 22:13:25

PS Tried to post this on "Chat" but site seemed to be playing up again.

Curlywhirly Tue 18-Feb-20 22:34:32

Oh dear ??? never mind, just slather yourself in some lovely smelly body lotion - job done! Are those roller/sanding things for hard skin any good? Could do with a good pedicure!

phoenix Wed 19-Feb-20 08:20:01

Yes, Curlywhirly they are pretty good. I use mine quite regularly and then have a "proper" pedicure from time to time.

monkeebeat Wed 19-Feb-20 09:57:09

Have often mused over when I stop having ‘pedicures’ and commence ‘chiropody’

jaylucy Wed 19-Feb-20 10:02:50

It's a bit like some scented candles - I was given one for Christmas by my niece -label says something along the lines of "a wonderful blend of essential oils , of roses and cinnamon with a touch of ylang ylang - just reminded me of catsick!!! Wouldn't have been so bad, but lit the candle to get rid of just that smell!!!
Those roller things for your feet are brilliant! Son bought me one last Christmas and I have found that if you use it on a regular basis, the hard skin (especially on your heels) can be kept under control.

josiew58 Wed 19-Feb-20 10:06:48

Oh @monkeebeat, I wouldn't be without my " feet man" ! My chiropodist comes to the house every 6 weeks, my legs and feet are numb due to a medical problem, my sight isn't what it was and consequently I was cutting off the tops of my toes as well as the nails. Myself and 2 neighbours now have a foot meeting and it's wonderful. Side note, the one time I did opt for a pedicure both of my big toe nails went black and fell off !!!

Grandmafrench Wed 19-Feb-20 10:08:58

Morning and do hope you smell better! Well, that’s an amazing way to aim my very first post at a stranger ... did think you were going to complain about your washing machine (always guaranteed to promote a huge rant from me) but it seems now that you can’t even trust something to put in your bath with the promise of summer ocean smells. Disgraceful, but that’s man-made pongs for you. Often expensive but high risk - even if you survive uninjured after breaking into the packaging!

Acer Wed 19-Feb-20 10:09:48

I attempt to scrub my feet every time in shower and/or bath. No problems at all with foot care (loadsa problems elsewhere however).
My granny used to say, always look after your feet they serve you as much as your hands. Although often quite difficult to find a good ‘strong bristle nailbrush’.

JoyBloggs Wed 19-Feb-20 10:09:53

Oh dear Phoenix, a tad worrying methinks... how do you smell this morning? confused I hope there's a whiff or two of sun, sea, oranges and roses... and your tootsies are soft as a baby's bottom?

seadragon Wed 19-Feb-20 10:11:16

Hilarious post, phoenix. Bad enough having hooves as I know only too well and no bath to soak in either...but smelling of mould too....! You have my heartfelt sympathy.

geera Wed 19-Feb-20 10:13:38

Many years ago, when our daughter was young, we had a 'real' Christmas tree. So far, so good. I thought it would be nice if the room at smelt like a pine forest, so bought a 'pine scented' room freshener. Huge mistake - the whole place smelt like a public toilet!! These things rarely smell of whatever it is they're supposed to. Lesson learnt.

Nannan2 Wed 19-Feb-20 10:14:00

I bought the boots own foot roller in a pack with some nice nail polishes etc.never got round to using it yet..tidied up bedroom and havent seen it since!hmm

Jillybird Wed 19-Feb-20 10:14:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jillybird Wed 19-Feb-20 10:15:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nortsat46 Wed 19-Feb-20 10:17:15

Very funny Phoenix and a suitably eye catching title.

Jaylucy your cat sick candle made me laugh out loud.
?

Nannan2 Wed 19-Feb-20 10:17:58

Hope you smell good now Phoenix smile

gillyknits Wed 19-Feb-20 10:31:06

Some of the reed defusers smell musty. My husband describes them as old ladies drawers. (I hope he means the furniture kind and not the underwear!)
I still use an old fashioned pumice stone on my feet and it really gets rid of any hard dry skin.

sandelf Wed 19-Feb-20 10:31:16

For what its worth... I have a thing (like a Clarsonic but knock off 'Hangsun'). Tried it out on various bits that seemed less than silken. It has made a world of difference to the state of my feet, hands, knees, elbows. Still might need the 'grater' very occasionally. - I'm a 'dry to flakey' person. Husband who is 'olive' (perfect skin grrr) would get no benefit.

Rosina Wed 19-Feb-20 10:44:19

Having endured a painful big toe for weeks, I visited a 'podiatrist' (sounds a bit better than 'Lady of 70+ sees chiropodist) and have never looked back. I emerged with feet that felt about twenty years old, no hard skin, nails trimmed beautifully and painful toe sorted out for ever. I paint my nails in the summer, never have those ghastly hacks on my heels that were so painful, and in short this lady in worth her weight in gold. I consider it part of my keep healthy efforts. And yes - to get back to the subject matter Phoenix , I was bought some bath bombs and thought they smelled foul. I stood up and washed myself off with the shower. Never again!

anti Wed 19-Feb-20 10:45:56

smile smile …… next time you'll be smelling of roses hopefully! You did make me laugh as I was reading it while having my morning cuppa. Good way to start the day phoenix!!!

Aepgirl Wed 19-Feb-20 10:45:58

I don’t trust any smelly things to smell as expected - there’s always a strange hint of something unpleasant.

cupcake1 Wed 19-Feb-20 10:50:45

Hilarious! Thanks that’s brightened up my morning! smile

Juliet27 Wed 19-Feb-20 11:03:09

Oh the romance!!

Phoebes Wed 19-Feb-20 11:04:30

I cover my feet with foot cream after my shower every morning and don’t have any problems with hard skin. Every so often I do my own pedicure and paint my toenails shocking pink.