Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

How many beige clothes do you have?

(150 Posts)
shysal Wed 08-Jul-20 07:36:36

Having just purchased a bright tomato red Joules top (reduced), I wondered whether at 74 I should tone down my colourful clothing. I am still more or less dark haired and tan easily so always go for colour.
How many beige items of clothing do you have (I have none) and how many red?

Bathsheba Wed 08-Jul-20 09:30:17

There is an old person look, more yesteryear now, pale clothes, floral meh sort of wishy washy paraphernalia, ubiquitous, pleated skirts that women once wore when they got into their later years

Oh yes, I remember that! Back in the 80s and 90s there was almost a kind of 'uniform' among much older women in the summer - pale floral, knee length frocks with a white cardigan and white flat shoes - you know the sort of thing, they would be sensible lace ups, with a pattern of punched holes all over. Haven't seen them around for years now, but they were very popular at one time!

MawB Wed 08-Jul-20 09:30:59

I will admit to two pairs of creamy beige linen trousers which I like with navy or with bright red, but everything else around that palette was ditched when my hair went white. I have quite a lot of red, cobalt blue, strong pink, navy and white. Trying a bit of yellow/gold these days too. So many more colours are possible now with white/grey hair!

ladymuck Wed 08-Jul-20 09:32:24

I don't think being old should stop you from wearing whatever you feel comfortable in. I have always loved bright colours, and the 'peasant-style' clothing...full skirts, gypsy tops, etc. That is what I continue to wear. I do have a beige raincoat and beige trousers, but otherwise I wear bright colours.

lemongrove Wed 08-Jul-20 09:48:15

Bathsheba

There is so much snobbery about beige clothing, with people rushing to join in and say they never wear it. If beige suits your colouring then wear it. What's the problem? In my wardrobe there is some cream, caramel, stone, camel and natural tones - probably all lumped together by some as the dreaded and 'must-be-avoided-at-all-costs' beige. But there is also a riot of colour - red, pink, purple, orange, emerald green, mustard, bright yellow, cornflower blue. With my paler skin and light hair I avoid wearing the 'beige' tones near my face, unless they're lifted by a bright, colourful scarf.

There is nothing wrong with beige. It got its bad name from some older people wearing all beige - trousers, top, coat, shoes and bag. Yes, that's hideous. But as just part of a predominantly colourful outfit, it's absolutely fine.

Good post!?I am like you, cannot wear any of the ‘beige-ish’ tones near my face, but now and then wear stone/ caramel colour chinos and used to have a military style jacket ( sadly grew out of it) that I loved.
Nobody wants the head to toe look of course.

fifeywifey Wed 08-Jul-20 09:54:51

Too old for colour? Not at all! Just keep on trying different colours and keep an open mind. Beige is the devil's handiwork as far as I'm concerned. ?

Seajaye Wed 08-Jul-20 09:56:14

I don't have much beige at all, but I do have a pair of camel coloured smart trousers. I agree that head to toe beige or grey rarely suits anyone, let alone the over 60s. Our skin tone dulls as we age and it's best to make the best of colours that suit, especially near the face. I am dark blonde with hazel eyes and warm tones work best for me. It look me years to work out that the cool colours that look great on my blue eyed friends do nothing for me.

GeorgyGirl Wed 08-Jul-20 09:57:02

None, I have never liked beige and never will. Age has nothing to do with it, one of my young granddaughters actually does like it :-) Wear the colours that suit you Shysal.

Coconut Wed 08-Jul-20 09:57:14

No beige or grey for me, just lots of colour......

angiemary64 Wed 08-Jul-20 09:57:19

I used to joke with my daughters, that when l reach my ' Beige Days ' l will never wear beige.

Davida1968 Wed 08-Jul-20 10:00:12

My only beige is summer "Capri-style" trousers; always worn with a colourful tunic top. I wouldn't wear beige near my face because it makes me look washed-out.

Craftycat Wed 08-Jul-20 10:01:24

No Beige at all. No black or white either as it does not suit me.
I had my colours 'done' a long time ago & always carry the swatches with me when I shop.
I suit bright bold colours like bright red, purple or orange & the pastels I can wear are mostly blue or green.
It makes shopping for clothes so easy.

Alima Wed 08-Jul-20 10:03:17

Love red, need time to go and count. Loathe beige, mustard, olive green, orange, have none of those. Reds, blues, greys and bright greens for me. You are certainly not too old for your new bright red top shysal, enjoy wearing it and post a picture if you want to.

Quizzer Wed 08-Jul-20 10:04:53

I love Jenny Joseph's poem "Warning" .
This is the first stanza...
When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn’t go, and doesn’t suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we’ve no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I’m tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people’s gardens
And learn to spit.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 08-Jul-20 10:07:08

Ha ha! On checking my wardrobe I've just five beige tops, jumpers, one 'pretend suede' biker jacket and long coat and t-shirts but loads of pants and bras in beautiful beige - smooth fabric so that there's no bumpy seams showing.
My two 'capsule wardrobes' are about half each of brown and cream or blue and grey. I've nothing in red as I dislike bright colours.
But, as the Americans say - you go girl! If you love red, purple, etc you jolly well wear them no matter your age - I bet you look great!

Soniah Wed 08-Jul-20 10:07:47

None, or taupe, mushroom, fawn, cream, grey and not much black, only to wear with brights. I have purple,red, pink, orange, bright green, range of blues, happy colours

Puzzler61 Wed 08-Jul-20 10:07:51

Quizzer you read my mind, I was just about to post that poem too ?

Alima Wed 08-Jul-20 10:08:31

Could I ask Craftycat, is having you colours done a definite result or is it swayed by the person doing the test? Also, what happens if you don’t like the colours that are “chosen” to suit you?

SueLindsey Wed 08-Jul-20 10:11:08

Hate beige! My mother and father both wore almost entirely beige clothes and it was SO boring. Their house also had beige furnishings throughout!

TrendyNannie6 Wed 08-Jul-20 10:13:02

Think it depends on your colouring, lot of snobbery about beige clothes, which I don’t really understand, I have a variety of colours in my wardrobes, red royal blue orange, pink black cream and yes a couple of beiges, both being coats,

henetha Wed 08-Jul-20 10:15:41

What has age got to do with wearing colours? I don't get it.
I'm wearing a bright red top this morning, with navy blue wide legged trousers.
Sometimes there is a place for beige. This red top goes well with cream/beige trousers.
I have clothes in all colours, mostly bright, and I'm over 80.

Aepgirl Wed 08-Jul-20 10:16:12

Definitely no beige in my wardrobe. It’s a very hard colour to wear well, and puts one in danger of just merging into a dull background,

annifrance Wed 08-Jul-20 10:18:47

1 pair of stone jeans, 1 ecru crochet cardigan, a vast off from a friend but is actually quite useful and looks good over a coloured top of dress.

In summer I am very colourful. In winter a lot of teal, raspberry, navy, black and greys, with colourful scarves. Beige a definite nono!

I only know one person who can successfully wear beige and associated tones. She looks amazing!

harrigran Wed 08-Jul-20 10:21:38

I have lots of beige clothes, why should it be a problem ?
I wear beige trousers with a coloured top, one of my favourites being a bright coral colour but I also wear plain black or navy tops too.

Lancslass1 Wed 08-Jul-20 10:23:31

Colour me beautiful did it for me too Illte .
I was wearing all the wrong colours.
I am an Autumn so pale blue and pink are out and yellow green ,rust and brown are in
I do like neutral colours like taupe (which I pronounce to rhyme with "gawpe" not "hope."

Lancslass1 Wed 08-Jul-20 10:24:12

Did you know that periwinkle blue is supposed to suit everyone?