Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

How many beige clothes do you have?

(150 Posts)
shysal Wed 08-Jul-20 07:36:36

Having just purchased a bright tomato red Joules top (reduced), I wondered whether at 74 I should tone down my colourful clothing. I am still more or less dark haired and tan easily so always go for colour.
How many beige items of clothing do you have (I have none) and how many red?

Juliet27 Wed 08-Jul-20 19:13:02

I’m winter too Georgesgran and I chose those colours even before I had the test.

PinkCakes Wed 08-Jul-20 19:14:40

I've got one beige item - a pair of trousers which I hardly ever wear. I wear pinks, reds and blues mostly. I'm 60

Diggingdoris Wed 08-Jul-20 19:20:55

None at all. My wardrobe is full of rainbow colours. Favourites are red and blue, but today I went out in a turquoise and peach ensemble! Colours make me feel cheerful.

grannyrebel7 Wed 08-Jul-20 19:22:11

I love black! Also like navy, blue, pink & purple. Hate beige or any light colours and really, really hate green anything. Don't even like green pegs! My friends all think I'm weird, but can't help it. If I wear a colour that's not on my list it makes me really miserable and I can't wait to get it off!

Witzend Wed 08-Jul-20 19:29:00

One pair of linen summer trousers. Though I think the colour was called ‘stone’.
They go with lots of different coloured tops so I make no apologies.
Nothing else, though.
Oops, I tell a lie - I have 2 Weird Fish heavy cotton items (possibly beige though I’d rather call them a dark off-white) I bought while visiting a sister in the Dales. I was dithering between the long sleeved top (not granny-ish* in case you’re wondering) and the zipped hooded jacket, but eventually thought sod it, and bought both.

*though I wasn’t even a granny then - it was some years ago, I do often keep things for ages.

Nan2six Wed 08-Jul-20 19:31:11

Since 'embracing' my natural silvers, I can't wear beige, not that I did much anyway. My mum is 91 and wears lots of colour... wear what you want, there are plenty of other fun colours to enjoy!

CanadianGran Wed 08-Jul-20 20:51:00

I can't say I have ever noticed elderly folks wearing too much beige. Maybe this is a British thing?

I have a few items and think they look lovely. Linen jacket in jean-jacket style, and a cottony summer sweater. I think they look nice on me!

Perhaps it is not so much the colour but the shape of the ubiquitous beige clothing that is the issue. Shapeless stretchy pants with loose cardigans and handbags looped over arms comes to mind.

I like to think i will stay current with both cut and colour of clothing, without being a slave to the latest trends. I also recognize that going grey (I've stopped colouring my hair!) will have an effect on what suits me.

MissAdventure Wed 08-Jul-20 20:54:45

I'm always a bit wary of light colours, the top would get food down it, and I daren't even think about trousers.

BoBo53 Wed 08-Jul-20 21:37:47

When I became a grandma I was determined to be modern and colourful. Did tend to be a bit conservative now pinks and lime greens are my favourites.

mrsgreenfingers56 Wed 08-Jul-20 22:53:40

Never wear beige being naturally blonde it makes me look washed out. Prefer liliac, pink or mauve.

Legs55 Wed 08-Jul-20 23:09:04

No beige in my wardrobe, I used to wear lots of red but now more deep pink or my favourite blue (azure mostly). I love colour although do wear black in winter but with a colourful top & scarf.

In summer my trousers/crops/shorts are mostly white teamed with many different colours. Being blonde/grey & fair skinned I avoid green & mustard as they look awful on me.

Mambypamby Fri 17-Jul-20 18:03:34

Nothing wrong with beige, stone, mushroom, taupe - neutral colours that mix well with navy, white, pale blue - I am tanned of complexion and silver pewter of hair. I love neutrals interspersed with a little colour which I think are classier on me and make me calm rather than bright colours, which, for some reason, make me feel somewhat manic. Colour therapy- a lot to be said for it.

Elegran Sat 18-Jul-20 09:49:40

Your hair and skin are dramatic enough in colour to carry off the neutral beiges, Mambypamby but there is a lot wrong with beige for those of us with paler complexions and light brown hair. We end up looking as though we are feeling very ill and are wearing clothes that have been washed so often they have faded to murky shades of watery mushroom soup with soggy lumps of bread floating in it.

TwoWolves Sat 18-Jul-20 09:54:26

Not much beige, but too much grey (yuck). Hate the colour grey but unfortunately it seems to suit me.

LadyGracie Sat 18-Jul-20 09:56:28

Apart from knickers, none.

Ramblingrose22 Sat 18-Jul-20 14:49:53

Love beige as it goes with everything. Also love other neutrals and in winter I especially love charcoal.

I am an autumn according to my colours chart and rarely wear bright colours like red or royal blue. I do love bright orange though - maybe because I'm an autumn.

At the end of the day wear what makes you happiest and ignore the fashion police.

SuzannahM Sat 18-Jul-20 15:31:52

Have lots of beige/skin coloured undies for under whites, and a long, swingy mac that I got from M&S a few years ago. The mac goes with whatever colour I am wearing under it.

annodomini Sat 18-Jul-20 16:33:39

One cotton cardigan I have might be classified as beige, but I prefer to call it 'oatmeal'.

Maggiemaybe Sat 18-Jul-20 16:48:46

I love red: a coat, six dresses (three day, one evening, two "going out"), a cardigan, a blouse, a tee shirt, two pairs of heels, a back pack and an evening bag.

A few things in beige (or rather, stone/oatmeal/nude grin): underwear, a couple of tops I haven't worn for a while, a pair of heels and two pairs of comfy sandals, and a favourite linen dress that I've had for years. And a trench coat.

I've never had my colours "done", but know for certain that I need to avoid pastels.

Rufus2 Mon 20-Jul-20 12:48:16

murky shades of watery mushroom soup with soggy lumps of bread floating in it
Elegran Mushroom soup! My favourite!
Mushy green pea soup would look even worse, with or without the croutons! grin
OoRoo

Elegran Mon 20-Jul-20 13:06:12

Rufus. I've seen just that colour in clothes on sale in supposedly smart shops. That, rotting plum and dried-up mustard. Heaven knows who buys them.

lemongrove Mon 20-Jul-20 13:43:41

Elegran

Your hair and skin are dramatic enough in colour to carry off the neutral beiges, Mambypamby but there is a lot wrong with beige for those of us with paler complexions and light brown hair. We end up looking as though we are feeling very ill and are wearing clothes that have been washed so often they have faded to murky shades of watery mushroom soup with soggy lumps of bread floating in it.

grin
I was thinking along the same lines.

Rufus2 Mon 20-Jul-20 14:08:13

rotting plum and dried-up mustard
Elegran That reminds me; I meant to ask earlier! With all these rainbow colours favoured by you ladies/women, it must be tedious having to change your matching "lippy" colours every time you change your outfits.confused
But whatever you choose, avoid blue, otherwise they'll have you into ICU in no time! hmm

Casdon Mon 20-Jul-20 17:16:14

I’ve just had a really good think about this, and I can’t think of anybody I know, or celebrities, who don’t look better in another colour rather than beige, camel, greige, fawn or any of that range of colours- apart from Amal Clooney, who really suits it. Maybe it’s for you if you have her dramatic colouring.