Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Hot hair styling brushes

(28 Posts)
Birdwatcher4 Thu 23-Jul-20 16:40:31

Hello can anyone recommend one for a short bob what I have looked at seem to have a very large brush head finding my hair dryer and brush getting difficult to hold with fingers getting stiff .
Thank you

kittylester Thu 23-Jul-20 16:59:49

I love mine. I have short hair and use the Revlon one and use the smaller of the two brushes!!

harrysgran Thu 23-Jul-20 19:01:39

The Revamp hot brush is good I purchased it from amazon a few weeks ago after a friend recommended it I have a shoulder length bob

J52 Thu 23-Jul-20 19:05:21

The Babyliss hot brush ( not the rotating one) is very good, two brushes and a nozzle so it can be used as a regular dryer.

Birdwatcher4 Thu 23-Jul-20 22:56:54

Thank you ladies for your helpful replies.

EilaRose Fri 24-Jul-20 05:40:49

I bought one of these yesterday too and should receive it early next week (an eBay purchase).

Because I already own various curling wands/dryers/etc I decided a rotating brush would be easier. By coincidence I had grown my hair from a very short style to ear-length bob prior to Covid, but not being able to get it cut means it's now almost shoulder length.

Due to a torn rotator cuff I hope the rotating brush will be easier than juggling a brush and dryer. Time will tell!

TerriBull Fri 24-Jul-20 07:22:15

I love mine I've always taken it away with us. My hair is jaw length, when I wash it and blow it dry, it just finishes it off and gives it a more salon like appearance. I bought it ages ago, it's a Remington, fairly big brush type of affair. I imagine they all do much the same job.

tanith Fri 24-Jul-20 07:25:55

I have the Babyliss rotating brush and it’s brilliant, straightens my curly hair in minutes so it’s sleek and shiny instead of frizzy and wild.

Cambia Fri 24-Jul-20 09:45:21

I have long hair and could not do without my Babyliss Hot Brush. Had it years and would buy another one immediately if it broke! So easy to use.

brigid18 Fri 24-Jul-20 10:20:38

Yes a babyliss every time. Had mine for years. Get a timer switch to attach to your plug and you never have to worry about leaving it on. I put mine onto 15 mins every day and it switches itself off .

schnackie Fri 24-Jul-20 10:39:57

This has made a huge improvement in my haircare 'routine'. My hair is long and it took forever using both arms in the air with the brush and the dryer. Now with the brush/dryer combination I just do a section at a time and it straightens it as well. Sorry I don't know the brand - bought it online for £29!

NorfolkNonna Fri 24-Jul-20 10:58:04

My Babybliss Big Hair is the best invention since the pill?. I’ve got three - couldn’t bear not to have one - fine hair/bob cut - my hair always looks amazing and I can dry it better than my hairdresser

Vintagegirl Fri 24-Jul-20 11:19:51

I had the Babyliss hot air brush styler but found that the brush attachement kept flipping off. I like the one I have now which is Andrew Barton brand. They usually come with a choice of brush sizes. Yes I love this item, as have thick very straight hair in a bob that needs a bit of a turn. I used previously use a comb and hairdryer but that was tiring as used both hands

Patsyb71 Fri 24-Jul-20 12:53:54

I use the Babyliss hot air brush petite and its wonderful on my short bob, takes about 2 minutes to to have my hair dry and styled

Grannyjacq1 Fri 24-Jul-20 14:16:31

Following advice from gransnetters (see previous posts on archive) I purchased a Babyliss big brush and it's wonderful. Just wish I'd bought it at the beginning of lockdown. My hair is just below ear length and layers are growing out. At first I thought it was alarmingly huge, but soon got used to it, as I did to the rotating brushes. Use it first when you've plenty of time to get it right.

pce612 Fri 24-Jul-20 20:10:14

Babyliss Big Hair with 2 interchangeable brush heads. No juggling brush and hairdryer, best hair styling thingy I have ever bought and because you can remove the brush heads, a doddle to clean them.
So good I have donated all of my other stylers to our local Hospice shop (they do the PAT testing on donated electricals).

Macgran43 Fri 24-Jul-20 21:18:39

Had a Braun hot brush for years.Tried hard to replace it even wrote to Braun but to no avail. Now use a Babybliss. Part dry hair either by walking around or sitting in the sun or using a conventional hairdryer.Then I put on Tresemme styling spray and use the hot brush with quite a small brush for short layered Bob. Finish with straighteners.Excellent results.

Jessity Fri 24-Jul-20 22:50:13

Dear GN Babyliss fans, please tell me what I’m doing wrong.

I’ve always had fine totally straight hair. Pre lockdown it was a bob just covering my ears. Now it’s just below chin length.

I bought a couple of weeks ago the Babyliss with two different brushes. Finally I’ve sorted out which button to use for each side. Partly dry it as instructed, apply smallest brush, allow it to whirl away, even stop the whirl, just heat.

Result, hair hangs down straight as ever. I just want it to turn under at the bottom. You all succeed, what am I doing wrong please?

Kittye Sat 25-Jul-20 08:00:04

Jessity I find if I allow half a minute for hair to cool before releasing, the curl stays in. I’ve used Remington, Babyliss and Andrew Barton and must say I prefer Andrew Barton one.

Jessity Sat 25-Jul-20 09:50:47

Thanks Kittye, I’ve not been doing that and will do so.

tanith Sat 25-Jul-20 10:43:30

Jessity there are plenty of videos on utube showing how to do it, search babyliss big hair brush.

Jessity Sat 25-Jul-20 11:32:22

Thanks tanith

EilaRose Mon 27-Jul-20 04:46:28

Well that was a disaster! The rotating hot brush was delivered today, it's supposed to have 3 settings but when you rotate the dial to 'low' it is actually another 'hot' setting...so therefore only two settings. Also the power cord didn't swivel instead it tangles and after a couple of rotations it's a big mess.

So I've requested a return, I might be able to fix the swivel problem but I'm not going to mess with the setting and it really needs the low setting.

I have straight, silver hair in a short bob and just wanted to be able to roll it under, but during a trial that's not going to happen as the brush is too bulky and needs to be smaller.

So I've marked that down to a FAIL and hope the day improves. ;-((

tanith Mon 27-Jul-20 07:25:48

EilaRose what a shame, it took me a few goes to get the hang of it, I have silver hair similar length to you and it works really well. The three settings are, hot fast rotate, slightly cooler slow rotate, and cool no rotation. There are 3 size brushes I use the smaller of the three.

J52 Mon 27-Jul-20 07:26:09

EilaRose I have the HotAir brush that turns, but once I forgot to take it away wIth me. I bought the Babyliss smaller non swivel version to use while away. It also has two brushes, but the large one is not so big.
I found I liked that version better, maybe it would be better for your hair style.