Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

I seem to have gone from Judi Dench to Camilla ?

(49 Posts)
phoenix Mon 27-Jul-20 14:14:30

Hello all, hope you are all well.

It's my hair! It does grow very quickly, but this is ridiculous.

Was last cut at the end of February, my usual short, spikey crop.

Now it's definitely looking a bit Camilla ish! The sides are past my earlobes (thank goodness, while it was making its way South, if it went into my ears it was so tickly, and not in a good way)

Trimmed the fringe a bit a while back, but that's now in my eyes again.

So, do I go back to the short crop, or continue to grow it?

I'm wondering if it might be lower maintenance longer, as the rate at which it grows means frequent trips to the salon to keep it in shape.

Just can't decide!

Liz46 Mon 27-Jul-20 14:19:03

I’m in the same position so looked at photos of hairstyles. I found one that I really like only to discover it is a wig!

My husband has offered to shave my head so that I can wear one. He is so kind and helpful. I’ll trade him in when I am allowed out.

I read something about an app that is available. I think you put your photo on and it shows your face with different styles.

That could be useful.

B9exchange Mon 27-Jul-20 14:20:01

www.easyhairstyler.com/demo/

Go for it Phoenix, but please let us know what you choose! grin

Smileless2012 Mon 27-Jul-20 14:22:32

My grows quickly too pheonix and is also very thick. I wear mine short so need regular appointments at the hair dressers.

About 15 years ago I decided to grow it longer, which took ages and I remember how irritating that was, but had it all cut off again because it was so thick that TBH it took more maintenance on a daily basis then it did when it was short.

The only way you'll know for sure is to keep growing it and see how you manage.

phoenix Mon 27-Jul-20 14:22:41

Thank you!

Problem is it will probably involve mirrors or photos, both of which I avoid blush

Luckylegs Mon 27-Jul-20 14:28:25

I too seem to be going a bit Camilla-ish. I decided at my hair appointment last week that, as I’ve gone through the agony of a lot of the growing out bit, that I might keep it long at the moment. My hairdresser thought it a great idea as we’ve done all the short styles to death in the 24 years I’ve been going to him!

My natural curl is back too which I’m encouraging, I love making little ‘ringlets’ with my fingers! However, it’s not really suitable for a woman of my age but if I brush it back, it definitely goes into Camilla. What to do? I’m going on holiday and have always wanted to be able to put my hair up in one of those silly ponytails so I’ll see how that goes and might/probably have it cut then.

Teetime Mon 27-Jul-20 15:41:27

For me the Judi Dench crop is edgier - dont know how else to put it than the Camilla- both ladies look good but I imagine the Camilla takes more time and money.

Georgesgran Mon 27-Jul-20 15:43:32

Liz46 - Trade him in! Love it - wish I could do the same with mine. One owner, bodywork fine, but mechanics not up to scratch now. Needs work. X

MiniMoon Mon 27-Jul-20 15:50:13

I wondered the same thing phoenix. Your description sounds just like my hair.
When I went to my hairdresser a couple of weeks ago she remarked that she had never seen my hair so long!
We discussed styles, and I opted for my usual short cropped pixie cut.

What a relief to have it cut. I feel like myself again.

Panache Mon 27-Jul-20 16:55:37

Just had the long awaited and desperately needed chop!!
The first since the end of February.
Like you Phoenix I too have mine usually in a gamin/pixie style,and yes, have often been said I look like Judi Dench (merely because of the hair let me hastely assure you!!)

Never in all my life before having had hair growing way down way below my shoulder line, and then ending in some form of odd curl!!
However much as with your dilemna I could not decide whether to now opt for a completely new style,or again go for the old usual safe option "the chop" which I know I can easily manage.
On going into the Salon I asked the stylist her opinion as it was one I still could not make!
She suggested going half way,forgetting the shorn look,but leaving some length,especially more so around my ears and face.So I went with the idea,fully knowing I could always go shorter another time.
Although the Stylist gave me a "too coiffured" look for my liking,I immediately saw the years falling away and I could not wait until the next day ......when the whole style had "dropped," leaving me with the length and cut,yes face framing too.
Although it is going to take more work I am certainly feeling I am on the right track!!!!
My own purple colouring next and I shall be truly pleased.
Not bad going for an 81 year old!!

So Phoenix I hope my little story helps! Good luck.

MawB Mon 27-Jul-20 17:43:31

I am feeling like Rip van Winkle - how did I miss your “return” Panache ? Aka Dreamkeeper - this is going to be less confusing too.
And congratulations on getting to the hairdresser.
I take it you and your dear man are out of shielding, that must be a huge relief.
More little trips in the car next?
Onwards and upwards!

merlotgran Mon 27-Jul-20 17:54:54

My hair has gone from Camilla to Britt Ekland in the Marigold Hotel thingy (minus the trout pout lips) via Joanna Lumley where I wish it could have stopped!!

I'm almost back to my hippy days. grin

Barmeyoldbat Mon 27-Jul-20 17:55:45

Phoenix, I was in exactly the same position as you and even thought I looked like Camilla. Couldn't decide what to do, in the end I decided to have it cut all one length ending just on the bottom of the ear and with a wispy fringe, thinking if I didn't like it I could always go back to my old style. Anyway, I just loved it and Mr B has said it looks lovely as well so I have decided to keep it. I look younger, more modern and its softer. Also if we have lockdown again it will be easier to manage. Win win.

BlueBelle Mon 27-Jul-20 17:56:30

Couldn’t wait to get mine off although I kinda got used to it ,longer and got lots of complements but I felt it was an older fashion and it needed more doing so it was back to spiky and funky for me

Lexisgranny Mon 27-Jul-20 18:00:46

I have been cutting my fringe ( fairly successfully),my husband has levelled off the back so that the layers have virtually grown out. The sides were problematic, and the Least said the better. I dry the lot curving it under, and resemble a very elderly page in a medieval film - not a look that flatters me it has to be said. I can’t wait for the end of the sheltering in Wales ??????? so that I can get a snappier style somewhat nearer to pixie than page.

Chewbacca Mon 27-Jul-20 19:05:17

End of February since my hair cut too and the first appointment I can get is September. I've chopped bits off the fringe but any shape or style it did have has long gone. Now I'm in a dilemma as to whether to have it coloured again when I get my appointment or should I just leave it and let the grey/silver overtake me.

Dorsetcupcake61 Tue 28-Jul-20 09:45:30

Beginning of March was my last cut. My hair is the longest it's been for decades! The layers have kept their shape and I've returned to the 1970s and experimented with rollers! The colour is the problem. I used to have what I called my Mars bar look which a mix of caramel and blonde highlights. It was very flattering. After a decade of not really seeing my natural colour its surprisingly a light brown with some grey. I've gone from Mars bar to yellow liquorice allsort! I'm not sure what I will do. I did like it before but it needed a cut every 4 weeks and colour every 12 which expensive. A wig is starting to appeal!

polnan Tue 28-Jul-20 09:49:14

I have decided that as I have got older, short hair is easier to maintain, just my opinion

lizzypopbottle Tue 28-Jul-20 09:59:30

My hair is driving me completely mad. I, too, decided it's now or never to try to grow it but the short style I had as lockdown began has not grown out well. I just don't have good hair. I spend quite a lot of time out of doors lately and the outside air doesn't improve things at all. Yesterday, after a couple of hours of wind and damp air, I looked like I'd been struck by lightning! My hair was sticking up and out everywhere, although the wind was so gusty it nearly blew me over several times, so it wasn't a big surprise to see the state of my hair.

I haven't tried for an appointment with my, hitherto, regular hairdresser but I can't go on much longer like this. Trouble is, someone suggested she may have brought her planned retirement forward because of lockdown. It's a real dilemma. Carry on or give in... Finding a new hairdresser is dangerous ground too. I've been through so many of their hands on the past. Those who had me in and out in half an hour and sent me off looking like my mother were only allowed one go!

25Avalon Tue 28-Jul-20 10:05:51

In the past week with my hair getting everywhere I have started wearing a headband. I made a lacy scarf sometime back that was too short as I didn’t have enough wool. Tying both ends into a knot it makes a perfect head band. There are also lots of free patterns on the internet to make another.

Lancslass1 Tue 28-Jul-20 10:10:38

When I went to a new hairdresser I took with me a photograph I had found of a very young and beautiful Joanna Lumley -pre Purdy hair style.
She cut my hair in that style and I was delighted.
I think it is true tgat after a certain age one looks better with short hair.
I like the way Judy Dench and Julie Walters wear their hair.
I think Camilla would look better with a shorter hairstyle too.

Quilty Tue 28-Jul-20 10:12:49

I am a bit like you. Before lockdown I kept my hair short. Not having had it cut for 3 months has made me evaluate my hair style. Having visited the hairdresser, he has given me a 'tidy up' trim and we'll see how it goes. It can always be cut you but may never have the willpower to try growing it again.......unlessed forced on you by another lockdown!!!!

Callistemon Tue 28-Jul-20 10:19:31

phoenix your hair must grow more quickly than mine, although mine had been attacked by an over-enthusiastic scissor-happy new hairdresser just before lockdown.
According to little DGD who scrutinised me carefully, I need to grow it to my shoulders! hmm

It's much lower maintenance short. It's becoming more Alan Davies than Camilla.

ExD Tue 28-Jul-20 10:22:12

There must be a lot of Camilla look-alikes around, and I'm another if them. I never liked her hair but I'm finding I quite like the change on myself.
I had a quick trim and tidy-up when the salons opened and not I find the longer style quite easy to manage, the only trouble being the need for mousse to maintain the 'flicked back' look. The gales we had yesterday played real havoc with that.

Lupin Tue 28-Jul-20 10:24:38

I'd always had long hair - all one length. Then later I had it cut into a chin level, all one length bob. I liked it - it suited me - but was quite a lot of work.
Now, after a brush with chemo, it's very short. During lockdown it grew to a mad scientist look, so am very relieved that I have now had it cut into a wash it and leave style. The natural colour took some getting used to. My hair has now gone wavy and does what I tell it to do. It feels like someone else's hair growing out of my head. The parting, that relentlessly stayed in the same place has also migrated to the other side of my head. A new me, and I like it.
I hope you find a style you like.