Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

A summer top recommendation.

(75 Posts)
NanKate Wed 29-Jul-20 07:04:23

Whilst we were on hols last week we popped over to the Isle of Wight and I found this small shop selling wonderfully coloured floaty tops that felt like silk but weren’t. They can be washed by hand. They are one size. I’m a 14 but they would easily fit a larger size. They are based on Japanese kimonos. I bought one for the hot weather and so look forward to wearing it. The one I bought was China Tree and I think I will buy the Willow pattern too. The company is called One Hundred Stars.

Do you have any recommendations ?

shysal Wed 05-Aug-20 17:49:37

NanKate, what length is your top? I am very tempted by the Willow Tree one, but like tops to come below my bottom. Think it would look great with jeans.

seacliff Wed 05-Aug-20 17:50:54

How lovely Jane, sounds gorgeous. Yes the scarves are wide, but very fine and not at all bulky. Good to drape around shoulders on holiday/on plane/in churches etc.

shysal Wed 05-Aug-20 18:10:05

Sorry Kate, I found a length in the description on second look. I have gone ahead and ordered it in case GNetters bought up the stock! I look forward to receiving it.

Jane10 Wed 05-Aug-20 18:53:05

That's certainly a risk shysal. I'd buy more from them. Very prompt delivery and easy to use website. Now what else shall I go for?

NanKate Wed 05-Aug-20 19:07:28

I’m so please Jane you love your duster coat, they look fab. Just the sort of thing Joanna Lumley would wear.

Just seen you post Shysal. Yes it covers my bottom a treat. Let us know what you think about yours I just love mine.

I have the China Tree and am considering the Willow Pattern.

tidyskatemum Wed 05-Aug-20 20:15:15

Some lovely lovely things on the One Hundred Stars site but at 5ft nothing and size 8 I’d be scared of being buried in all the one size stuff. Can anyone reassure me otherwise?

shysal Thu 06-Aug-20 07:45:01

I am thinking we shall all be looking a bit like Angel Strawbridge!

NanKate Thu 06-Aug-20 10:56:36

Tidy to be honest I think you would be swamped.

shysal I don’t know who Angel Strawbridge is. Will look her up m

Alexa Thu 06-Aug-20 11:25:34

I always think the kimono shape is dignified and graceful and suits all womens' builds.

Jane10 Thu 06-Aug-20 14:14:43

I gave the scarf to my DD. She was delighted and is going to check out the website. Hope you're on commission NanKate

shysal Thu 06-Aug-20 14:35:10

Kate. Angel Strawbridge is the wife from Escape to the Chateau.

NanKate Thu 06-Aug-20 15:13:07

I wish I was on commission Jane, if only.

Thanks ShySal I do recognise her.

Jane10 Thu 06-Aug-20 20:00:31

Angel Stawbridge?! Noooooo. I'm binning my new coat now!!

Puzzler61 Thu 06-Aug-20 20:07:50

Jane10 are you joking?
Just my opinion, but I think Angel Strawbridge is an extremely striking lady with an exciting, edgy image. You can tell she is an interior designer from her eye for colour and patterns.

Although, each to their own ?

Callistemon Thu 06-Aug-20 20:27:33

I don't know why I have such an aversion to that couple.
But I do.

Jane10 Thu 06-Aug-20 22:32:25

Me too Callistemon!

Callistemon Thu 06-Aug-20 22:53:42

I know I am probably being unreasonable!

trisher Fri 07-Aug-20 07:59:51

Well so am I Callistemon Can't stand either of them.

Callistemon Fri 07-Aug-20 09:35:57

I used to rather like his programmes when he lived in Cornwall with his first wife and family, and as an occasional Coast presenter.

I don't like moustaches although I do confess to having a soft spot for one of DH's lovely friends who has one.

shysal Fri 07-Aug-20 09:47:59

I used to enjoy watching Dick many years ago competing in Scrapheap Challenge. He was very good at making something from scrap even then. I must confess to feeling a bit sick when I see her kissing him through all that facial hair - ugh!
I think Angel has great talent and flair, they have worked wonders on that chateau!

shysal Sat 08-Aug-20 11:05:19

My top has come, it is gorgeous and has a surprisingly flattering fit. I always have a problem with V necks being too revealing, so will wear with either an ivory lace straight topped camisole or a blue modesty bra insert ( I have a large selection for this purpose).
Thank you NanKate for the recommendation. I must resist the temptation to look at the other designs!

Jane10 Sat 08-Aug-20 11:23:07

DD has now ordered a coat too. My one is now sold out apparently. Obviously due to others' good taste!

NanKate Sat 08-Aug-20 22:50:03

I’m glad you like it Shysal. I wore my top at a small drinks do I waS invited to in a friend’s garden. I felt cool and stylish ?

Lilypops Sat 08-Aug-20 22:53:56

Shysal. Imagine all the soup and stuff in Dick Strawbridges moustache. Yuck. It covers all his mouth , how can food not get trapped in it !!