Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Will never wear a normal bra again!

(109 Posts)
Chrisks Sun 09-Aug-20 11:29:41

My daughter told me about crop tops from Primark or even crop tops from anywhere! Gosh, I’ve had some uncomfortable bras in the past, wires digging in and straps constantly falling down. Just wondered if anyone else has found how wonderful they are!

pollyperkins Mon 10-Aug-20 14:09:22

I bought an expensive (for me) bra online from Miss Mary of Sweden which I hoped would be more comfortable. Unfortunately it isn't. It’s front fastening And the fastening has made my chest between the boobs quite sore. So I went back to m&s non wired which are more comfy and less than half the price.

amazonia Mon 10-Aug-20 14:28:26

M&S are shocking at measuring you. They put you in a band size that is too big and cup size too small - not just me. This is a common complaint. I was measured at 34DD for years. An independent shop measured me at 30G - never looked back. No digging in under the arms, no falling out at the front, no hitching the back strap back down again etc.

Bixiboo Mon 10-Aug-20 14:43:00

Totally agree Amazonia, I had a similar experience at M & S.Best place to get measured is usually the smaller independent shops. I got measured a few years ago and bought some bras by Fantasie. They were a fabulous fit and have stuck with the same make. Never tried crop tops but seems like they are very comfortable and suit a lot of people.

Spookwriter23 Mon 10-Aug-20 14:49:49

I love these bra tops , can't stand ordinary bras they dig in

Nitpick48 Mon 10-Aug-20 15:23:21

I wear crop top with padded inserts (Amazon) so e have the inserts stitched in, some have removable inserts. I like the stitched in type..black, natural and white. See me through every season and sooooo comfortable (high sides so no back fat!)

Jane10 Mon 10-Aug-20 15:37:45

I used the online M&S bra measurement system. It was 100% better than when I was measured in the actual store. It considers much more than just the difference between chest and boob and giving a cup size based on that. It was a bit of a faff and a coming and going with the correct specs but by George it worked!

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 10-Aug-20 16:56:18

I was measured in Rigby and Peller in Harrogate. I purchased the recommended bra, but hate it because the straps slip - and it cost a bomb!! I see lots of wireless bras for sale these days, but I am afraid they will not suit my ample bosom.

Glenfinnan Mon 10-Aug-20 16:59:22

TK Maxx have a great selection of these bras! At good prices. Only wear ‘traditional’ bras when if go out.. which is rarer these days!!

GreenGran78 Mon 10-Aug-20 17:08:55

I haven’t worn underwired bras for years. I must be an odd shape because they always dig into my armpits. Like NotTooOld I find that being measured doesn’t help. The croptops are comfortable, but not if they are synthetic fibres. Cotton is much less sweaty. I bought some nice cotton soft-comfort bras in Sainsbury’s recently. More supportive than the croptops, and very comfortable.
Most of my wardrobe is cotton. My late DH used to laugh at the way I dashed to change as soon as I arrived home, if I was wearing anything synthetic. Comfort every time, for me.

GrannyBeek Mon 10-Aug-20 18:04:09

This is for all of us who whip off our bras as soon as we get through the front door. m.youtube.com/watch?v=Npv2QZ8eWLk

Caro57 Mon 10-Aug-20 18:11:58

I need good support which a crop top would not do. Would love to get some Shapeez but I can only find them in US and they are about £90 so am saving up! I found some comfortable crop top type that pull on then have front cross under straps that hook at the sides, give a nice line at the back but not enough support and too cut away at the sides to be worn ‘in public’ with my shape

Fennel Mon 10-Aug-20 18:21:40

I loved that GrannyBeek grin.
My problem now, as a very old Granny, is how to fasten my bra when I get dressed in the morning?
Sometimes it takes me a few minutes.
Then I ask myself - what's the point?
Last measurement at local John Lewis was 34DD.
But I'm not going to flash them on the internet , so why wear one?

diygran Mon 10-Aug-20 18:54:17

Re. previous post on wired bras and cancer risk. As said this advice was given ages ago, 20 years plus, by school social science teacher or similar. Daughter followed advice as did I. We have family who had breast cancer and masectomy early in their life so we were glad to take all the advice available at that time.

Jaxie Mon 10-Aug-20 19:34:40

I’m 38A and it’s a nightmare to find cups small enough. Do you know the nursery rhyme “ The cow with the crumpled horn”? That’s me.

Lindaylou55 Mon 10-Aug-20 20:47:45

I have been wearing this type of 'bra' for years. I got shingles right along my back where I fastened my bra, it was agony for weeks. Asda do good ones as well as Matalan. Don't see my going back to wired bras any time.

Helennonotion Mon 10-Aug-20 21:01:40

tiphero.com/benefits-of-not-wearing-a-bra#:~:text=Improve%20Your%20Breast%20Shape,cause%20your%20breasts%20to%20sag.&text=According%20to%20the%20study%2C%20the,them%20do%20their%20own%20thing!

Interesting article showing the benefits of NOT wearing a bra! I cannot endorse any of the information, but I can say that I go braless at every opportunity and breast fed 2 children for a total of 5 years. I'm 61 now and still reasonably perky. I think its more to do with genes perhaps?

Tedd1 Mon 10-Aug-20 22:09:33

I converted to crop top bras three months ago. I bought the’Anya’ top from John Lewis costing £14 then found one exactly the same on eBay for £5. Cotton traders also sell them. I find them quite supportive. I’m a 34c

JuneRose Mon 10-Aug-20 22:13:09

No good for my h cup bazookas ? sadly only proper upholstery will do

DillytheGardener Tue 11-Aug-20 00:37:16

jaxci, try Calvin Klein, TK max often sells them for cheap. They do small chests well according to my friend, I buy their size large underwireless crop top bras and they are comfy for me too!

Daisyboots Tue 11-Aug-20 11:38:21

Now I have found out that you step into the crop top then pull them up your body I think they are wonderful . Before I was putting them on over my head and having to ask my DH to pull the back down for me. They are so comfortable as I have cancer in my spine and normal bras are not at all comfortable to wear. I have crop tops from Asda, Sainsburys and from America but have found the Sainsbury ones to have the most support. I am a 40D in my good boob but only a B/C in my bad one but the difference is not so apparent in a crop top as it is in a normal bra.

TwinLolly Tue 11-Aug-20 21:22:38

Helennonotion I saw a similar article about it around about 5 or 6 years ao, and also a t.v. programme or documentary about the problems of wired bras.

So I ditched my bra. It took a while to get used to but now I'm more comfortable without one. Forget about what size my coconuts are, they have been set FREE! ?

MayBee70 Tue 11-Aug-20 22:14:01

Years ago I bought a Genie bra from Boots and have worn similar bras ever since. Annoyingly I can’t find the original Genie bra anywhere but I’ve bought similar ones from Asda and I see that Avon are now selling one. I also have a couple of the Sloggi ones, too. I do, however, get unbearably hot wearing a bra of any kind in this weather so it’s a good job I’m not actually going anywhere these days.

BelindaB Thu 13-Aug-20 14:36:40

I've used them for years but only under very loose clothing! Otherwise, keep them for indoors and on the allotment, where a "normal" bra can cause a lot of chaffing and discomfort.

MellowYellow Sat 15-Aug-20 21:53:53

I've looked all over for these tops, was prepared to spend a decent amount on them because I want a change from bras, and have ended up with a collection of brightly coloured ones from P*****k, which was the last place I tried. They're like a second skin.

Chrisks Thu 24-Sep-20 14:56:35

Ha....I’ve learnt something from this thread. I now step into it rather than struggle overhead! Thank you!