Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Fashion brands for Cool Gransnetters!

(79 Posts)
Stella14 Tue 01-Sep-20 21:30:58

I think it’s great that more and more, we see older, even old, women, still enjoying striking fashion and looking ‘sharp’! I’m not into throw away season-to-season fashion, but I have always enjoyed wearing clothes with a bit of edge, a bit quirky maybe. I used to wear a lot of Boden, I like a bit of Hush and The White Company and have just discovered Baukjen. I’d love to know what other ranges Gransnetters like.

BlueBelle Thu 03-Sep-20 06:35:17

Personally I ve always loved charity shops they have all sorts of treasures, that ll do for me, always get complemented

Beechnut Thu 03-Sep-20 06:51:46

I have a few clothes items from House of Beechnut.

kittylester Thu 03-Sep-20 06:57:38

The last two fine jumpers I bought from M&S have really bagged round the bottom. Most disappointing.

Lollin Thu 03-Sep-20 07:10:38

Beechnut I almost went off to do a search grin

janeainsworth Thu 03-Sep-20 07:59:11

I follow @debbiedresses on Instagram. She‘s a stylist & posts photos of people like Laura Tobin & Susannah Reid wearing ordinary brands like H&M and Zara, occasionally something more obscure. It’s quite useful to see things on normal people rather than models.

Marydoll Thu 03-Sep-20 08:26:53

Coolgran, we could be twins!
I enjoy threads like this, usually rushing off to check the online sites quoted.

Yesterday I received a beautiful brand new, Land's End raspberry pink, boiled wool blazer, complete with tags from eBay. It is so versatile, there are lots of items, I can wear it with.
I paid £29 for it, heaven knows what the original price was, but it was a great bargain. I absolutely love it.
I only ever buy new from eBay, but have had some great bargains from White stuff, Phase Eight and Boden.

Rarely paying full price, I look for vouchers and online codes to save money.
Yesterday's bargain was a cream, knitted dress from M&Co, reduced from £36 to £8. The best part of all, it was a petite and the sleeve length was perfect!.?

Beechnut Thu 03-Sep-20 08:29:41

Lollin it’s a side street sweatshop ??

Teetime Thu 03-Sep-20 08:58:16

I used to love White Stuff I think the quality has fallen off and the colours are very dull. I'm moving on to Mint Velvet, Phase Eight and staying with Boden - only buying any when there is a discount or sale though - they are pricey and I dont go anywhere other than golf so that's Glenmuir, Green Flag and Catmandoo. Nike for walking and netball.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 03-Sep-20 09:35:21

The White Company for jumpers and tops, Boden for their sweatshirt dresses, Top Shop for jeans. Also take a look at Hush, they are in John Lewis and online.

Hobbs or LK Bennett for smart wear

Boz Thu 03-Sep-20 09:42:14

I buy exclusively from Me+Em; the sizing is right for me and the quality is good. They blend colours from season to season and I find it easy to dress if you use one Company. My daughter has the same idea and wear everything Toast.
My shoes are always from Arche. I like a nice handbag and can recommend ebay for secondhand designer bags. I recently bought a Kate Spade bag as new for £50 instead of £300.

Blossoming Thu 03-Sep-20 09:54:03

Currently in my wardrobe -

Weird Fish, Seasalt, Lazy Jacks, Fat Face and Phase Eight.

I also like to refashion charity shop finds.

Jaxjacky Thu 03-Sep-20 10:48:34

Not sure if I qualify to respond, I’m certainly not Cool! Clothes from Matalan, M&S, charity shops and in the sale, Joe Browns. Footwear is M&S, Skechers sales or Surf flip flops. I’m really light on footwear, my favourite canvas trainers, bought for £8 in a Clarks sale ten years ago are sadly on their way out ?

kittylester Thu 03-Sep-20 11:10:12

I forgot Kettlewell. I love, love, love Kettlewell. I'm off Joules though.

Marydoll Thu 03-Sep-20 11:32:18

Oh no, Kitty! I've had to come back out the website after spotting a gorgeous coatigan! ?

Fennel Thu 03-Sep-20 12:35:46

This thread is an education for me! I haven't bought much in the way of new clothes for years. We used to live out in the wilds where all clothes were functional. Now back in town I'll have to smarten up a bit.
I've bought woolens from Woolovers and mostly pleased but the quality isn't so good now.
In the past many bargains off ebay.

Callistemon Thu 03-Sep-20 13:52:59

Perhaps that's my problem, Fennel. I live in the sticks.

GrandmasueUK Thu 03-Sep-20 14:02:31

I’ve got a few things from Izabel (curve as I’m bigger) this year. I think I saw a recommendation on here for this site. I also look on eBay for pre-loved clothes from recommended sites.

trustgone4sure Thu 03-Sep-20 14:09:04

I still wear Adidas hoodies/coats and North Face coats.
Don`t wear trainers anymore,i`ts Clarks footwear.
My grandchildren says i look cool which always makes me smile.

twinnytwin Thu 03-Sep-20 14:27:16

I sew all my own clothes (and many of DHs too now). I'm able to have high quality clothes that no-one else has and (more importantly) it satisfies my creative side. I have clothes in my wardrobe that I still wear (mostly coats/jackets) that must be over 15 years old. Shoes/boots are mostly Clarks.

Susie42 Thu 10-Sep-20 15:00:14

Thanks to everyone for alerting me to some good brands that I had never considered. I make a lot of my clothes so feel that I can splash out on RTW especially Crew Clothing.

kittylester Thu 10-Sep-20 15:58:26

I've just ordered two Kettlewell tops. Ive recently bought 3 from Sainbury's and 2 from Seasalt. I promise not to buy anything else this year - honest.

Marydoll Thu 10-Sep-20 16:54:24

Kitty, I'm lusting after this Kettlewell coatigan, which I certainly don't need!! grin

www.kettlewellcolours.co.uk/products/knitwear/item/coatigan

kittylester Thu 10-Sep-20 19:06:07

Luckily I didn't spit that.

kittylester Thu 10-Sep-20 19:06:22

Spot spot!!

GrandmaKT Thu 10-Sep-20 20:12:45

I spent years drooling over the Joe Brown catalogue thinking I was too old to wear them. Then one day I thought 'sod it!' and bought something. I had so many compliments that I now have quite a few items, I especially love their colourful tunics - very flattering.
I notice they have a 'silver fox' modelling the men's clothes in the current catalogue, so they are obviously trying to appeal to the older man too.