Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Eyebrows

(37 Posts)
lizzypopbottle Fri 04-Sep-20 13:15:12

On the GN Daily page there's a featured about thinning eyebrows and a link to forum discussions. This link took me to a defunct thread and suggested starting a new one, so here goes!

Of the many remedies for thinning eyebrows, one was growth serums. I've used these (Rapidbrow) and they really work but as soon as you stop using them the new hair disappears and you're back to square one! (Same applies to eyelash serums and, probably, scalp treatments for hair loss.) They are not cheap so it's worth knowing.

Soozikinzi Fri 04-Sep-20 14:30:02

I use benefit gimme brow in shade 1 . I have eyebrows there it’s just that they’re invisible because they’re white . It wouldn’t be any use if there weren’t any to attach to . It has a little brush and is definitely the best one if tried . Though the Avon mark perfect brow eyebrow gel in a little pot is also good and the Avon Mark eyebrow powder As a budget alternative sometimes they’re only £3 when there’s an offer on !

Hetty58 Fri 04-Sep-20 14:36:59

After nearly a lifetime of plucking our brows into thin, delicate lines - big eyebrows are in!

trustgone4sure Fri 04-Sep-20 14:42:18

Iv`e never plucked or done anything really with my eyebrows.
But looking at some of the young women of late they look like they are breeding caterpillers above their eyes.

Hetty58 Fri 04-Sep-20 14:45:34

trustgone4sure, yes, the extremes are somewhat alarming, frightening even - but good brows do frame a face nicely!

FlexibleFriend Fri 04-Sep-20 15:20:58

My brows are fair unlike my hair which is very dark so I just use dye on my brows that just brushes on. Again not much use if you don't have any brows to begin with.

Scribbles Fri 04-Sep-20 18:37:18

Thinning eyebrows ... I wish! Since the menopause, mine look more like Robert Morley's every day.☹

maddyone Fri 04-Sep-20 18:53:17

I’ve always had generous eyebrows and so I kept them under control with regular visits to the beautician who waxed and plucked, and more recently trimmed them aswell. Since I became a lady of a certain age, my eyebrows have discovered new life and they grow long and spindly. I was so relieved to be able to visit my beautician again recently and now I have tidy and trimmed brows again.

maddyone Fri 04-Sep-20 18:56:48

Actually Scribbles my eyebrows aspire to the Robert Morley look too, which is why I make regular visits to my beautician. My eyebrows loved lockdown, but I didn’t.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 04-Sep-20 19:07:59

Scribbles

Thinning eyebrows ... I wish! Since the menopause, mine look more like Robert Morley's every day.☹

???

lizzypopbottle Sun 06-Sep-20 11:59:48

Anyone remember trade unionist George Woodcock's famous eyebrows? Robert Mosley's got nothing on him!!!

lizzypopbottle Sun 06-Sep-20 12:00:16

Morley....?

ninathenana Sun 06-Sep-20 12:25:26

I have no eyebrows ? or the need to shave any part of my body. It's all gone since menopause.

I have to draw in my brows and really struggle with symmetry and matching my grey hair. I can't find a grey brow pencil.

FlexibleFriend Mon 07-Sep-20 13:00:41

Plenty of grey pencils and brushes on Amazon.

Lexisgranny Mon 07-Sep-20 13:11:38

I am also a self inflicted victim of over plucking. Unfortunately I have been unable to find a light grey eyebrow pencil, they say they are grey, but are on the charcoal end of the grey spectrum. I have a pencil case full of them. As my hair is now silver, I would end up looking like Alistair Darling the former MP whose Eyebrows remained dark and full whilst his hair was white. He looked striking - I look like one of the ugly sisters!

Esspee Mon 07-Sep-20 13:22:08

For those of you whose eyebrows are growing too long - try brushing them upwards and place your opposite index finger over the natural eyebrow line. The long, unruly ones can then be snipped off above the index finger. It works beautifully.

Alexa Mon 07-Sep-20 14:43:33

Lexisgranny, I sometimes add a little pale coral lipstick to grey eyebrow pencil to make it less bluey grey, and apply by way of a good brush.

M0nica Mon 07-Sep-20 17:38:07

I just have mine tinted and shaped every six weeks.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 07-Sep-20 17:43:58

My brows are the bane of my life, drive me potty, and now I’ve got a few white ones,they are sparse at the ends, I use nyx pencil but funnily enough rang up today to get them threaded

Urmstongran Mon 07-Sep-20 18:17:56

I have to draw in my brows and really struggle with symmetry

I read something recently that made me laugh ninathenana. It was that cosmetically enhanced eyebrows don’t have to look like twins - but they should try to look like siblings!

Lexisgranny Mon 07-Sep-20 18:25:09

Alexa thanks for the tip I will try that, at the moment I sometimes think that my face wonders each day what my eyebrows will be doing!

ElaineI Mon 07-Sep-20 18:40:52

I have one thinning eyebrow and one almost gone - seems to have transplanted itself to my chin! I do have a grey pencil from Boots but only use it when I am going somewhere fancy as DGC don't notice so I tend to forget.

CazB Sun 25-Oct-20 17:24:17

Look Fabulous Forever do a product called Bring Back Brow Shape. You just paint the hairs on, and sweep upwards with a "spoolie". Works wonders with my very sparse brows.

Lavazza1st Sun 25-Oct-20 17:36:16

I have dyed mine before, it's really easy with a kit - here's a link to some that are good www.capitalhairandbeauty.ie/search-results?searchterm=eyebrow+dye&searchterm_submit=Go

After a while they do wash off, but for a time it's lovely. I forget to keep redoing mine so I have almost invisible eyebrows at the moment. This has reminded me, I will do it tomorrow!

Jimjam1 Sun 25-Oct-20 20:26:57

I also over plucked my eyebrows. As a result very sparse. I had microblading. Which means eyebrows tattooed on. Very pleased with the results. Make sure you research the beautician doing it. Also go for a pale shade of brown.