Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Brands we have loved and lost?

(128 Posts)
MawB2 Thu 10-Sep-20 10:12:02

I am saddened and a bit worried about the “brands” and shops that are biting the dust these days.
Of course I can exist without them, but as I have got older I find there are certain labels which suit and fit and in which I feel comfortable - experimenting gets expensive.
I really miss Country Casuals and wish I had kept more of their things in years gone by.
I used to love Principles shops and the label Précis Petite as I am 5’2”.
I miss Weekenders - same reason As CC - wearable clothes, great value for money.
I lament the disappearance of the shoe shop Shoon in Bournemouth -I always found something I liked there -even at a price.
I feel sad about Hotter shops and concessions disappearing and I wonder if they can last. Their suede Pixie boots are so comfortable you could wear them as slippers!
Who do you miss or who do you fear might disappear?

Camelotclub Fri 11-Sep-20 10:55:12

Chelsea Girl! I remember a nice red suede bag I bought there.

janipans Fri 11-Sep-20 10:57:57

Oh dear - I immediately thought of chocolate I'm afraid - does anyone else miss Sharp's Swisskit? ("would you risk it for a Swisskit?") ...... and what happened to the walnut at the bottom of a walnut whip?

Rosyanne Fri 11-Sep-20 10:58:09

2,500 miles away, on a little island in the Mediterranean, despite lockdowns and restrictions, we can still get Kerrygold butter and vintage cheese.?

Coco51 Fri 11-Sep-20 10:58:58

OK Sauce

Clevedon Fri 11-Sep-20 11:12:34

Most definitely BHS. I loved to shop there

Grannynannywanny Fri 11-Sep-20 11:14:37

Slightly off topic but I had a flashback to the high st shops when it was ok to have a shop sign saying Evans Outsize.

Kim19 Fri 11-Sep-20 11:16:10

I would go a lot of miles for Hartnell 'In love' perfume

TrendyNannie6 Fri 11-Sep-20 11:19:21

I bought two Kerry gold in Tesco on Monday granless, I miss Bhs littlewoods and Hamels

Georgesgran Fri 11-Sep-20 11:23:13

I remember Charlie perfume too - then I graduated to CK Obsession, which I still use.
‘Lost’ chocolates remind me of Terry’s 1767 - can anyone remember those?? A very special treat - 3 layers of luxury in a sort of casket box?

EEJit Fri 11-Sep-20 11:25:35

Debenham, the only shop which stocked trousers in my size.

HillyN Fri 11-Sep-20 11:33:56

I miss BHS for their swimming costumes. Unlike many of you I am tall and need costumes with a longer body length and BHS always had great selection of these in lovely patterns and colours. I have finally worn out the several I had. Can anyone suggest where I might find suitable replacements?

Lucy127 Fri 11-Sep-20 11:37:50

Lux soap flakes.

growstuff Fri 11-Sep-20 11:38:24

Another one who misses Laura Ashley. About half the items in my wardrobe are from Laura Ashley. I only bought "classics" in sales and some of the items are decades old, including a jacket which is about 40 years old and comes back into fashion every few years.

Framilode Fri 11-Sep-20 11:38:37

I miss St Michael. Those were the days when you bought in Marks and got superb quality at a reasonable price. I still have some bedding and a few jumpers from those days and they are still in good condition. Marks is mostly cheap junk now.

growstuff Fri 11-Sep-20 11:39:15

HillyN

I miss BHS for their swimming costumes. Unlike many of you I am tall and need costumes with a longer body length and BHS always had great selection of these in lovely patterns and colours. I have finally worn out the several I had. Can anyone suggest where I might find suitable replacements?

M and S have a couple in their range. I'm nearly 6 foot, so need longer length too.

SusiQ8 Fri 11-Sep-20 11:39:45

My DH and I are dressed head to almost toe (only shoes bought elsewhere) in Marks and Spencer clothes and I would dread them disappearing in my lifetime. Luckily I don’t think that it will happen but we’ve had a few shocks since Covid started. I also miss C&A Sixth Sense, managing to keep a cardigan bought from them for over 30 years. I have looked in C&A in other countries in the last 10 years but the quality isn’t the same these days.

heath480 Fri 11-Sep-20 11:41:38

Etam.loved the shop on Victoria Street in London.1960’s.

Nortsat Fri 11-Sep-20 11:44:22

I also miss BHS.

My sister and I would go there for lunch when the children were small and we’d have a good mooch around. I had their homewares in our first flat - a three piece pan set, matching chopping board and other kitchen wares. I also had some of their bed linen.

My father had many cardigans, blazers, shirts and ties from BHS ...

My dear father died many years ago, my lovely sister died in 2003 and the ‘little one’ is now 6’ tall and in his 40’s.
Thinking of those lunches in BHS 35 years ago has made me wistful...

Calendargirl Fri 11-Sep-20 11:48:12

Yes, I still have some St Michael clothes, cardigans, blouses. Much better quality from years ago.

I miss my BHS plain, simple, white cotton bras. Very reasonably priced, think a pair in a box, comfy, fitted well, (I’m not very well endowed). Had to resort to M&S, ok, but not as good. The fitter admitted she couldn’t find me a really good fit. Must be me.

quizqueen Fri 11-Sep-20 11:49:48

I still have a (machine knitted) poncho I bought in Etams in the 60s and it still looks as good as new. It was my go to for using when breastfeeding and I still use it on coach journeys abroad to throw over me if the air conditioning is too cold and I'm in summer gear. I still have stuff I bought from Chelsea girl too. I'm nearly 70.

Mercedes55 Fri 11-Sep-20 12:09:11

I miss Précis too as I am also short. In the town I live our John Lewis has closed, as well as Debenhams. I used to love going to John Lewis and although Debenhams never stocked much in Petite sizes I was able to find what I wanted in store and go home and order online confused

Supergran1946 Fri 11-Sep-20 12:20:15

Really miss weekenders too. Loved the quality, the colours, the outfits and the value.

jaybee66 Fri 11-Sep-20 12:28:19

Georgesgran Fri 11-Sep-20 11:23:13
‘Lost’ chocolates remind me of Terry’s 1767 - can anyone remember those?? A very special treat - 3 layers of luxury in a sort of casket box?
Hi Georgesgran, I still have the Terry's chest that I got as a Christmas present in the early 60s I keep all my buttons and sewing bits in it.

Jacquetta Fri 11-Sep-20 12:28:59

I really miss Heinz tinned puddings.
My go to comfort food.!

twinnytwin Fri 11-Sep-20 12:39:46

Charlie was my signature perfume back in the day. I don't need them, but you can also get longer length swimsuits in Boden.