Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Side zips in trousers

(68 Posts)
Dotty123 Tue 24-Nov-20 11:09:11

Why do women’s trousers have front zips? I find they accentuate the very bits you’re trying to hide - not that I’ve got a fat tummy of course! I’ve just had to throw out a fantastic pair of Gap trousers which DID have a side zip and they were one of the most flattering pairs I’ve ever had. Had them for years but they really were past it.

Alexa Tue 24-Nov-20 22:53:52

I wear only elasticated waistbands as I have no waist any more, and always wear my tops over my waistband.

Lilypops Tue 24-Nov-20 22:59:26

I can’t see over my boobs to do up a side zip !!

MiniMoon Tue 24-Nov-20 23:08:09

I don't care for zips and buttons of any sort. I have arthritic thumb joints and fastening buttons is often very trying.
Finding fashionable trousers and jeans with elasticated waistbands is nigh on impossible though.

NotSpaghetti Wed 25-Nov-20 10:22:46

Onthenaughtystep1

Anyone prepared to admit to liking elasticated waistbands. ?

Yes, lovebeigecardigans1955 already did, just above you.
?

Shinyredcar Wed 25-Nov-20 10:27:15

But what about the pockets?! Women's clothes never have enough proper pockets and side zips would stop them being possible.

MiniMoon Wed 25-Nov-20 10:32:36

I have a pair of cotton summer trousers with a side zip.

They have pockets.

nipsmum Wed 25-Nov-20 10:34:22

Oh yes elasticated waistbands for me every time.

Magrithea Wed 25-Nov-20 10:35:58

Definitely prefer side zips but they are a pain to do up! Pull on Jeggings are the way to go!

Riggie Wed 25-Nov-20 10:40:47

Onthenaughtystep1

Anyone prepared to admit to liking elasticated waistbands. ?

Well Im a big girl, so there isnt a whole lot of choice in the shops - black polyester with elasticated waists!
I tend to buy on line - they're still usually elasticated but at least more colourful and natural fabrics.

Paperbackwriter Wed 25-Nov-20 10:46:11

All of this is thread reminds me why I possess no trousers at all!

Leah50 Wed 25-Nov-20 10:56:31

I used to be a seamstress & side zips were an absolute pain, they broke/became faulty far more often than front fastening ones & were difficult to remove & replace....Hated them!

Molly10 Wed 25-Nov-20 10:57:01

Dotty 123 - Gap have an up and coming big sale ( check Martin Lewis website for further details), so you maybe able to get a bargain pair of your comfy faithfuls.

Davida1968 Wed 25-Nov-20 10:58:04

I hate side zips! Haven't worn any clothes with them in, since I retired. And oh the joy of wearing leggings when at home.....

MargaretinNorthant Wed 25-Nov-20 11:07:54

Lexisgranny

I entirely agree, front zips are not flattering, particularly when worn with a fine knit sweater. I prefer side zips, but the best fitting trousers I have ever had, were a cream pair in very fine wool from Wallis which had a zip at the back. I was much younger, and wouldn’t attempt that now. The other thing that annoys me is a false drawstring with metal bobbles on the end. Fine if you always tuck tops in, I don’t! Neither do I want to look as if I am wearing track suit bottoms if I am out and about.

Yes, me!

PollyDolly Wed 25-Nov-20 11:10:58

I wish I had a £1 for every broken trouser zip that I have replaced - I would be very rich indeed and I would much sooner replace a side zip than a front zip, so much easier!

Jaxie Wed 25-Nov-20 11:23:50

I agree with all the above but my pet hate are the slanted pockets on expensive trousers by Jigsaw & Isabel Marant for example. They stick out and ruin the hip line. I have no waist as such but very slim hips & bottom, consequently most trousers are like jodhpurs on me and sag in folds on my meagre backside. Jeggings are the answer but too restricting, and, I note, tight trousers are going out of fashion. Since because of COVID I live in Damart micro fleece drawstring pants, why am I gritching about smart trousers?

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 25-Nov-20 11:36:44

For slobbing around the house - elasticated waistbands? Don't care where the zip is as long as I can zip it up!

JulieF66 Wed 25-Nov-20 11:36:52

I have found a solution in Robell
trousers. Not cheap but very flattering. No zip or bulky pockets, they are pull up but they don’t appear so due to the material
and seams. They don’t fall down either, like other types do!!

Jan51 Wed 25-Nov-20 11:50:55

I wear a lot of pull on trousers. My pet hate is trousers without pockets. Having problems at the moment finding some reasonably priced leisure trousers with pockets.

ExD Wed 25-Nov-20 11:57:15

I agree PollyDolly, and its much easier to put in a side zip than a complicated fly-fastening

petra Wed 25-Nov-20 11:59:44

I really don't like pockets on trousers, it spoils 'the line'
Can I ask what those of you who want pockets, put in them?
If your indoors why would you need them, and if your going out you have a bag, don't you?

Erindoors Wed 25-Nov-20 12:01:07

Have you tried Robell trousers, they are extremely comfortable pull on trousers with NO zips. They are not the awful things they used to be but my favourite trousers.

petra Wed 25-Nov-20 12:01:55

ExD
It was wonderful when YouTube came along and showed me the easy way to put in an invisible zip.

Kartush Wed 25-Nov-20 12:06:43

I love elastic waist things. Pull them up pull them down no fuss no problems .

KathrynP Wed 25-Nov-20 12:08:19

Elastic for me. I can then thread more elastic through to tighten them as I find that most trousers that fit me on the hips are too big on the waist and are baggy at the back. I have yards of one inch elastic on standby. Most of my zip trousers I have elastic inserted at the back to close the draughty gap and keep my trousers from falling down!