Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Side zips in trousers

(68 Posts)
Dotty123 Tue 24-Nov-20 11:09:11

Why do women’s trousers have front zips? I find they accentuate the very bits you’re trying to hide - not that I’ve got a fat tummy of course! I’ve just had to throw out a fantastic pair of Gap trousers which DID have a side zip and they were one of the most flattering pairs I’ve ever had. Had them for years but they really were past it.

Jan51 Wed 25-Nov-20 12:08:22

Always like to have my phone in my pocket whether indoors or out, if it's in my bag, if
I like to keep my phone and tissues in my pocket whether out or at home. I rarely take a bag when I go out, except on smart occassions, and if my phone is in another room I either don't hear it or don't get to it in time.

or in another room I don't hear it or get to it in time.

Aepgirl Wed 25-Nov-20 12:18:51

Hate side zips (and elastic aged waists) Front zips are just fine.

Alioop Wed 25-Nov-20 12:52:04

Now winter in, I spend my time in jeggings and long tunic jumpers around the house and walking the dog. No zips or buttons, the elastic waist so handy

grandtanteJE65 Wed 25-Nov-20 12:56:56

All women's and girls slacks had side zips when I was a child and up to when I was about 15, and I never heard anyone complain that they were difficult to zip.

Most skirts zipped at the side too.

I didn't have a pair of jeans with a front zip until I was earning and living away from home. My mother called it an indecent fashion. I never could work out why.

Musicgirl Wed 25-Nov-20 13:32:48

I wear elasticated waist M and S wide leg or straight leg trousers. I have even bought a pair of leggings but am yet to dare to wear them. I have a condition called lipoedema which means my legs and hips are much larger than my waist. It is a type of fat which cannot be dieted or exercised away so if l lose general weight the disproportion is even more pronounced. This makes elasticated waist trousers the best option for me and, as others have said, nobody looks at the waistband if you have a longer top over it.

Onthemoors Wed 25-Nov-20 13:46:47

For many years, I've owned the "You Are What You Wear" books by Suzannah & Trinny. I always remember they advise to purchase trousers with flat fronts, no zips/buttons etc. So, I've always gone by this "rule", and it does seem the most flattering shape.

Nespa53 Wed 25-Nov-20 14:03:32

I love the elasticated waists, so many benefits??

henetha Wed 25-Nov-20 14:19:07

I don't like side zips at all. It's front zips or no zips for me.
I'm proud to declare that I love elasticated waists. So comfortable.
And they must have pockets.

Rowsie Wed 25-Nov-20 15:41:07

I have also never found side zip trousers comfortable. For some reason you have to be a contortionist to do them up properly!

Rowsie Wed 25-Nov-20 15:41:36

Oops...I meant I find them UNCOMFORTABLE!

Rowsie Wed 25-Nov-20 15:42:18

Oops again! Comfortable was right in the first place!

CBBL Wed 25-Nov-20 15:53:58

Sorry Onthenaughtystep1 but I hate fully elasticated waists on both trousers and skirts. I can't keep either in place. I have to constantly "hitch up" trousers, and skirts are a nightmare when I want to get up - perhaps because I no longer have a nicely defined waist - they seem to end up under my bust! I do agree though, with the majority of posters, that side zips on trousers are more flattering, but also more difficult to do up!

Nana4 Wed 25-Nov-20 16:05:45

Elasticated waistlines all the way!! Best thing ever !!!!

Mollygo Wed 25-Nov-20 17:21:40

I like side zips and have 2 pairs like that for special occasions, though I will need to replace one pair soon. Mostly my trousers have front zips-using the ‘front tuck’ means I can access it easily. Lockdown has meant I’m in joggers when not at work but it’s hard to find warm ones with pockets!

readalot Wed 25-Nov-20 19:41:16

I wear jeans that you just pull on and my dress trousers have elasticated waist. You can tell I am getting old

Tempest Wed 25-Nov-20 21:36:50

I think a Side zip looks more flattering on me. Also hate pockets on trousers. I often sew the side pockets down so they don't flap open when you sit down. I love following fashion blogs or You Tube videos of ladies over sixty who have some refreshing dress ideas.
www.styleatacertainage.com

grannie62 Mon 30-Nov-20 17:15:21

This is such a useful post. I had not realised before that the very expensive trousers that I have owned in the past have all had side zips. Am now thinking that I will sew my own trousers in future, with slimming side zips.