Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Face cream or moisturiser?

(47 Posts)
AngeOuDemon Sat 26-Dec-20 02:01:08

Face cream or moisturiser? What’s the difference and which one should I be using. I use a night cream but during the day which one? Thanks

Calendargirl Sat 26-Dec-20 07:38:27

Don’t use either I’m afraid.

Probably should, as I use hand cream, but don’t bother with my face which is silly.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 26-Dec-20 07:48:53

I use both. Face/night cream and moisturiser during the day. (Claris or Elemis or E45)
Well in theory, but half the time I forget. My skin has also got more sort of unstable as I age ( 75) and I get small spots and red blotches particularly if I use a shampoo that is not for sensitive skin. Likewise soap.

Getting older is very high maintenance!!

mokryna Sat 26-Dec-20 07:55:03

I use Boots no 7 booster serum, (buy when on offer) fantastic on open pores etc, creams bring me out in spots.

kircubbin2000 Sat 26-Dec-20 08:17:17

I stopped using shampoo and use an olive soap bar. Much better.

Chewbacca Sat 26-Dec-20 08:21:13

Elemis moisturiser for day and night. And if I can't afford that, Aldi moisturisers are excellent and a fraction of the price.

lemsip Sat 26-Dec-20 08:21:51

if we use night creams on face at night then moisturisers during the day, do we wash face with warm water in between so there is no build up! At the moment I use a vit E moisturiser during day only and wash face at night to give it a 'rest'! any advice?

M0nica Sun 27-Dec-20 07:52:21

I do what I have done since I was about 20, moisteriser in the morning, an organic make that does not aggravate any of my skin allergies, a light night cream on going to bed, also organic.

I haven't used soap on my face for over 50 years, it is far too drying and leaves my skin feeling sore for days.

Charleygirl5 Sun 27-Dec-20 08:56:39

Moisturiser for face and neck but for some weird reason only before I apply makeup. I do not appear to have many wrinkles so something is working- probably sheer neglect.

Puzzler61 Sun 27-Dec-20 09:05:59

Cleanser, day cream and night cream which are all Elemis. I know I’m extremely fortunate as DD buys these for me each year for Christmas and knows I appreciate them.
My mum always swore by Ponds cold cream. If I close my eyes I can still smell it.

maryrose54 Sun 27-Dec-20 09:26:17

I use Tropic skincare skin feast and also their elixir. Don't bother with night cream.

JackyB Sun 27-Dec-20 21:08:43

I thought they were the same thing. I have quite dry skin and it doesn't feel right if I don't put cream on. I use a day cream and a night cream. When would I use another moisturising cream? After lunch?

LadyGracie Sun 27-Dec-20 21:10:58

I use Aveeno, lasts all day and it's not greasy.

SuzannahM Sun 27-Dec-20 21:25:22

I use oil to clean my skin twice a day, wiped off with a warm, damp microfibre mitt.

Very rarely have to use any creams as it leaves my skin soft and smooth.

Pittcity Sun 27-Dec-20 21:52:46

Aldi and Lidl own brands are fabulous. A face cream with SPF is a must for day.

Shinamae Sun 27-Dec-20 21:56:27

Check out “The Ordinary”range of skincare, I swear by it...... and it is very reasonably priced ......

grannyrebel7 Sun 27-Dec-20 22:28:50

Just bought Nivea Q10 to use at night. It's lovely and creamy. Don't bother with anything for daytime.

EllanVannin Sun 27-Dec-20 22:32:48

Polyfilla here.

Puzzler61 Sun 27-Dec-20 22:34:10

? EllanV

lemsip Sun 27-Dec-20 22:35:21

suzannahM... can you tell us which oil you use? there are allsorts! lol

Soupy Sun 27-Dec-20 22:46:02

I swear by the Superdrug own range; gorgeous facial serum and a small amount of day cream in the morning.
Have never bothered with night cream.

BBbevan Mon 28-Dec-20 18:08:55

I use face cream on my face every day and moisturiser on my body after a shower. Again every day. Does it make any difference? Who knows, as you can never find out what you would look like if you hadn’t bothered

lilypollen Mon 28-Dec-20 18:28:31

Day cream/moisturiser and night cream. Brands vary as I once read that using the same one is not necessarily good as your skin gets used to it. So mostly use M&S, Superdrug and L'Oreal. All in one cleanser before bed, tissue off and then shlooshed with lukewarm water, no toners. My cleansing routine for donkeys and don't have obvious lines.

MayBee70 Mon 28-Dec-20 18:37:15

I’ve used No7 protect and perfect serum for years but recently started mixing it on the palm of my hand with moisturiser at night and BB facial sun protection in the daytime. I used to put it on separately before. I got about slack about uv protection in the summer and my skin got quite leathery. I think uv protection is as important as moisturising: probably more so.

SuzannahM Mon 28-Dec-20 18:41:45

@lemsip I use Argan/Sweet Almond Oil/Macadamia oil. I buy them in TKMaxx (am I allowed to say that??) - or I do when they're open! Always 100% pure - no mix of glycerins/mineral oils/etc. I have used others as well, but only pure facial oils.

I just mix up what I have - usually about 2/3 Sweet Almond Oil which is cheaper and either put them in a spray bottle or a dropper bottle. A couple of sprays on fingers, rub into skin, then a warm, damp mitt or cloth. Takes makeup off as well, even mascara, but you have to be careful not to get it in your eyes.