Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Is it time to go grey?

(65 Posts)
Happilyretired123 Sun 14-Mar-21 14:24:03

My hair was mouse brown so had it coloured and highlighted for the last 40 years. Have been going grey since my early 50s (am 65) so now I have it coloured dark blonde to cover the grey. 3 months since lockdown I now have a lot of grey so thinking it might be time to go grey completely and stop colouring it.
Have those of you who have transitioned to grey regretted it? And does it make you feel older when you see your grey hair in the mirror?

TrendyNannie6 Sun 14-Mar-21 14:30:11

I too was going to go grey I’m 63, but could only get as far as an inch of grey roots , I decided to go back to my brown, I do think grey hair can look wonderful on some people certainly a lot less hassle, before the lockdown I saw a hairpiece in one of the stores I regularly went in, it was grey so I put it up against my face and decided no not for me, you go for it if it’s something you want to do Happyretired you can always dye it back if you not a fan of it

Gelisajams Sun 14-Mar-21 14:35:07

I’m a similar age and like you the grey appeared years ago. I moved from a colour to a mix of bleached and coloured highlights but I haven’t had any for over 18 months so I have a lot of greyish regrowth. My hair is very long so most of it looks like a tabby cat. I’m not ashamed of the grey but I’m looking forward to getting more highlights to take the drabness out of it. If I was completely grey or white I would embrace it but I’m not ready yet!

Blossoming Sun 14-Mar-21 14:35:31

Mine grows so fast and I haven’t been able to get to the salon for a year. It’s now far too long and growing out very grey. The upside is it’s in fabulous condition. I’ve always intended to stop colouring it once the grey was less patchy so I’m using lockdown as an opportunity. Once I can get to the salon again I’m going to have it cut into a chin length bob. After that I can decide to have highlights if I think I need them.

avitorl Sun 14-Mar-21 14:44:51

If you go grey and find you don't like it you can always go back to having it coloured again. I tried it and thought it made me look "washed out" but haven't gone back to the permanent blonde colour I was using.I now use a L'Oreal temporary colour,Beige Grey,which is easy to use at home and makes my hair colour look warmer which suits my skin tones better than my own grey hair.
There are a number of different grey tones in the range so could be worth trying to see if it's right for you?

lemongrove Sun 14-Mar-21 16:35:22

Blossoming think hard before having a chin length bob if it’s grey...it’s probably the most severe look you can get for an older woman.The best look for grey hair is short-ish and layered ( from looking at friends?).
I don’t intend to go grey for at least ten years ( if am still here!)

grandMattie Sun 14-Mar-21 16:42:58

I started to go grey in my early 40s. In my 50s I was mouse and white. My hair dresser suggested white streaks, which I carried on the greyer my hair grew. Now in my early 70s, I am almost white and very happy; I find it matches my old complexion and can carry colours, like red, which I was never able to when younger.
Go for it!

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 14-Mar-21 16:45:01

I have 4 inches of grey and black (pepper and salt, yuk) and the rest of my long hair which resembles reddish straw.
I don’t want to cut my hair, but I’m thinking about having it dyed with foils again but instead of reds going black and grey. That way I’ll blend in the colours but my hair will still be in terrible condition.
Maybe I’ll just leave it to grow out which will take about 5 yrs? sigh.

Talk about 1st world problems. So I have every sympathy happilyretired

Amberone Sun 14-Mar-21 16:58:19

I think the style is as important as the colour to stop grey hair aging you - and also your makeup. I once (in the long distant past) went blonde. It looked awful, not only because of the blond colour but all my makeup was wrong. Plus you can always get a few highlights/lowlights put in the grey if it needs a bit of a lift.

Tangerine Sun 14-Mar-21 17:02:15

In your position, I would continue to have it coloured or colour it yourself at home.

However, we are all different and it depends on the shade of grey your hair happens to be as it can vary.

Some people have the hairdresser give them grey highlights to brighten it up and that may be the way to go for you as you would not have problems with root re-growth.

Blossoming Sun 14-Mar-21 17:09:53

lemongrove there are bobs and bobs, and my hair grows very fast. I dislike the very severe short cuts some older women go for. I may simply get all the dyed bits cut off and let it grow wild grin

(Not really, I hate it too long).

Daisymae Sun 14-Mar-21 17:11:28

Stopped having highlights about 18 months ago. I am quite happy with how it looks. Haved save hundreds of pounds and avoided having endless hours of small talk. Win win for me.

Calendargirl Sun 14-Mar-21 17:15:41

Mine is a sort of pewter colour. I like it. It’s shoulder length, wonder if I should go short, but has taken a long time to grow. Looks rather messy, but hey ho.

grannysyb Sun 14-Mar-21 17:19:21

I gave up having blond highlights a couple of years ago, my hair is now a sort of ash grey, quite like it, cheaper too!

grannyrebel7 Sun 14-Mar-21 17:28:17

I think only dark hair goes a nice shade of grey.

seacliff Sun 14-Mar-21 17:36:13

My hair is darkish brown, would like to know how others with similar and longer hair, have gone grey. Don't want to cut it really short. The contrast is so obvious for such a long time..

maddyone Sun 14-Mar-21 17:40:03

Is it time to go grey?

No!

maryrose54 Sun 14-Mar-21 18:03:02

I used to have highlights then got to the stage where there was more grey than highlights, so decided to go grey. So pleased I did. I have a short style and have had several compliments as I'm lucky enough to be almost white rather than grey. Has saved a fortune too! I think it works because I have a tidy short style.

geekesse Sun 14-Mar-21 18:18:49

I allowed all my dye to grow out during the first lockdown, and had it cut shorter to remove the dyed ends before I returned to work in September. It looks WAY better than it did. I have streaks of all shades of grey naturally, and not using any chemicals means that my hair is in better condition than it has been for years. Go for it!

Dorsetcupcake61 Sun 14-Mar-21 18:27:01

I sympathise! Up until the first lockdown my hair was a short layered style with what I used to call my Mars Bar highlights! They were lovely a mix of blonde and caramel. During first lockdown it was horrid as the roots grew out and looked a real mess. Last August I braved a cut but not colour as didnt want to be in salon to long! When short my hair kept taking me by surprise as felt so dark,the grey however didnt show.
Not had it cut since August and I must admit it's making me feel quite glum! The colour is a mousey brown with some light grey streaks. Its chin length but like a badly shaped bob. I'm 59 but feel 10 years older!
On the plus side my hair is in good condition. That said it was when dyed but only because used top quality products. I've also saved hundreds of pounds!
Thank goodness I'm WFH! I have an appointment booked on 24tg April. Its just for a cut and that will make a massive difference to how I feel. My hairdresser is a brilliant colourist and tbh I can see myself having it done again. My daughter posted some photos on FB today and I must admit those subtle highlights really gave a lift. I have a friend a few years older whose hair is pure white and looks lovely. I just look drab?

Iam64 Sun 14-Mar-21 18:54:39

I had dark brown hair that started going grey in my thirties. I went gradually lighter with careful salon colouring. Three years ago I had it cut very short and went natural grey. Initially I loved it. Then I began to see this washed out grey woman in mirrors at home, worse in shop windows. I’m blond again (apart from the silver crown growth). I’m waiting for the salon to open again - looking forward to it. I’ve reached the conclusion, my mother was right again. Don’t go grey she said, there’s no longer any need to. I love grey hair on others, it’s so stylish but, not on me

Purpledaffodil Sun 14-Mar-21 19:18:23

Had the same dilemma but noticed when due for a dye that front looked quite white/blonde.DD was against me going grey . However.... Bravely! I stopped dyeing and am pleased I did. Hair in better condition than for years and white/silver which I like. And no problems in lockdown either. As others have said, look at the colours and makeup you wear too.
For me it feels more authentic and I look at blonde photos from a few years ago and prefer the colour now. However, had I been anthracite I might not have kept it.
PS DD likes it now. Phew! ?

4allweknow Mon 15-Mar-21 11:19:59

Stopped having colour highlights of any sort coming up for two years ago and I do not regret it for a second. Fed up with grey root growth I decided when on holiday (think sun must have affected me) to go and have whole head done in the silver/platinum colour that had come into fashion. It's one if the best things I've done in later life. Colours of clothing much easier to figure out what suits me, no what I thought was blonde but turned brassy highlights and hair in much better condition. So glad I made the choice I did.

starlily106 Mon 15-Mar-21 12:01:06

My hair was silver at the front and sides, but still very dark at the back. For years I wished it was silver all over, then it started to thin out and my scalp was showing. I now use a caffeine shampoo, my hair is thickening, but the new growth is almost black. Very weird. And because of the lockdown and not being able get it cut, I have now got a wild mane of steel grey hair which is curly and totally messy. I try straightening it, but after half an hour it's curly again. I loved my hair, now I hate it.

Pantglas2 Mon 15-Mar-21 12:13:46

I suspect Happily that if you need to ask complete strangers who’ll never see you whether or not to go grey, you’re nowhere near ready to do so!

The only person I checked with was DH and he wasn’t bothered even though I was only mid forties (recent grandmother). Friends were mixed but so many followed me when they saw my results, however others, mostly single, have declared they’ll go to their graves with a Clairol box ?

DD was appalled that I was ageing disgracefully but she acknowledges now that my hair has naturally gone the loveliest gunmetal shade with lighter tones around my face.

With makeup I do take care to define lashes, brows and lips as I’d look washed out otherwise and clothes wise, the only colour I can’t wear is pale grey! I also sleep on a silk pillowslip which gives a lovely sheen and use the occasional silvering hair products to stop any yellowing.

Only you’ll know when you’re ready and as people have said, you can always dye it if you get fed up!