Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Midi (maxi) dress for a short person.

(33 Posts)
alltheglitterglue Fri 04-Jun-21 17:07:31

I’m around 5 foot tall, the busty, hour-glass kind.

I would like to buy some midi dresses —which will look maxi on me— but my height and shape mean that I can’t wear anything entirely shapeless.

Most of my wardrobe is comprised of plain colours; blues, pinks, purples, browns, greens, beige, black, grey, white orange & yellow don’t suit me.

I have just seen this dress. What do you think? Am I just having an unrealistic-about-my-limitations menopausal moment?

www.tedbaker.com/uk/Womens/Clothing/Dresses/SAMII-Geo-printed-rib-detail-midi-dress-Blue/p/251632-BLUE

Thank you all thanks

NotAGran55 Sat 05-Jun-21 07:53:45

The only way to know if it suits you is to try it smile

We all suit different styles, colours etc and have our own likes and dislikes. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks .

Please let us know how you get on if you go ahead with it .

Like you I’m petite, hourglass with 34g bust so fit and flare styles are the best.

MiniMoon Sat 05-Jun-21 13:19:49

This is the maxi dress I ordered. It arrived this morning, I tried it on and it fits perfectly. It is ankle length on me and I'm 5' 3" tall. Has two side pockets, fairly fine cotton but not see through. DH liked it, and for warm days at home its perfect.

Nana3 Sat 05-Jun-21 14:45:36

Lots of companies/makers give you the length in inches and centimetres, I like "Thought", give them a try. They do good sales too.

muse Sat 05-Jun-21 15:31:42

I do hope you find your maxi dress alltheglitterglue.

I'm wondering if you have the opposite problem from me. With models not being the same height as myself, I find the darts, bust line and waist are not where they should be, never mind the length.

I'm 6'1" and love dresses like the one Lucca posted but the under the bust line would be too high on me. Buying a maxi would become a midi for me .

ExD Sat 05-Jun-21 15:48:04

I find that a dress I like often looks better on me than one that the experts say 'suits' my petite busty figure. Its a shame firms with a petite range don't realise that most petite people come in larger sizes - over size 14s often don't exist.
I an take up a hem, but a waistline on the wrong place takes serious dressmaking skills to alter.

62Granny Sat 05-Jun-21 15:52:22

Hi not sure about the neckline on the dress you like but can you order it then return it you don't like it on? I was browsing Ambrose Wilson website earlier and the have a skirt in a very similar material / fabric it is in their Julipa range and has been reduced worth a look.

Amberone Sat 05-Jun-21 16:14:10

MiniMoon

This is the maxi dress I ordered. It arrived this morning, I tried it on and it fits perfectly. It is ankle length on me and I'm 5' 3" tall. Has two side pockets, fairly fine cotton but not see through. DH liked it, and for warm days at home its perfect.

That's a lovely dress Minimoon , it's the sort of thing I wear through most of the Summer as it can take you from beach to shops to eating out to having a walk to slumming in the garden.