Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Morning dress

(75 Posts)
Nannarose Tue 08-Jun-21 13:41:42

Hello all, strange this follows the 'dressy do' thread! Wedding invitation just arrived.
Our nephew, who we are not close to (geography & work issues when younger) but we are fond of; has included us in the restricted numbers allowed at his wedding. This is of course, an honour.
It has been long in the planning, we have planned our journey (several hundred miles) and booked our hotel, and budgeted for this and a decent gift. We were both going to wear what we wore to our own children's & other relatives' weddings - a beautiful suit, the only one DH has ever had custom made, and for me a lovely silk dress with a painted 'one-off' silk shirt / loose jacket. BUT the invitation says 'morning dress'. I had to google it - we have never been invited to anything like this (I assume the bride's family are formal, we have met her, but not them).
Our side of the family is small, I don't want to upset them by refusing, but this feels a step too far. They have been to our family weddings, with informal dress code. Of course, their wedding, their rules - so we have considered turning down the invitation, which seems a bit 'over the top'!!

Anyway, your advice is needed!
Firstly, wise grans - will my dress & shirt / jacket do, and do I need a hat? I only own a Tilley, but could hire one.
Secondly - would it be unreasonable to ask the groom's parents if our usual dress would be too out-of-place?
How 'rude' would it be to turn up as ourselves? Our clothes are lovely, beautiful fabrics and carefully made, but not sure if that counts!

Very many thanks - and I am expecting some grans to tell us to get over ourselves!

ExD Tue 08-Jun-21 13:48:48

Can't help with your husband's dilemma, sorry, but I would buy a 'fascinator' instead of a hat . They come in all price ranges and some are really 'dressy'. They come attached to a hairband or a comb.
I have short hair but I backcombed a little section and used that to hold the comb in place at my son's wedding last week.

ExD Tue 08-Jun-21 13:53:21

I copied this from Google -
Generally it is only the bridal party that will wear morning suits, although it is possible that very formal day weddings will require such a dress code for the guests. For men, the standard outfit is a tailcoat, waistcoat and striped trousers, while ladies should select a very formal daytime dress and hat.

M0nica Tue 08-Jun-21 14:00:30

If the invite says morning dress, that is what your DH should wear, no if, no buts.

The rule for women is smart daywear, but women are encouraged to wear a smart jacket.

I googled your query and found this link

www.debretts.com/expertise/etiquette/dress-codes/morning-dress/

silverlining48 Tue 08-Jun-21 14:03:53

Surely it’s just the wedding party in morning dress. Though unsure why are they telling you....hmm

grandtanteJE65 Tue 08-Jun-21 14:06:39

I am afraid if you want to be certain not to give offence your DH will need to hire a morning coat and trousers.

Your dress and jacket sound suitable, but yes you definitely need a hat or a fascinator.

You might just get away with a large artificial flower held in place by kirby grips and supplemented by a wisp of tulle or chiffon to match your dress.

grumppa Tue 08-Jun-21 14:09:59

If the invitation stipulates morning dress, that's what it is, not just for the bridal party. It's things like this that keep Moss Bros. going.

3dognight Tue 08-Jun-21 14:10:41

I would say hat rather than fascinator.
Just my personal opinion, sure you will look a treat whatever! ?

silverlining48 Tue 08-Jun-21 14:39:51

This is going to cost you a pretty penny, not only the travel, hotel bill, drinks and gifts, hats (or fascinator) and now morning dress? Why would anyone foist that on their guests.
I understand why it might be a step too far, or over the top as you say. Well it would be for me.

silverlining48 Tue 08-Jun-21 14:42:27

Actually if you have a Tilley.... that might work smile

J52 Tue 08-Jun-21 14:48:58

Re your husbands suit. I would check with the mother of the groom, just to make sure.
You dress ensemble sounds lovely and quite suitable. As regarding a hat, I’d also check with the MOG whether the bridal party will be wearing hats, fascinators or no headwear.

Blossoming Tue 08-Jun-21 15:03:53

J52’s suggestion is great advice. It’s unusual for all the wedding guests to wear morning dress nowadays.

FannyCornforth Tue 08-Jun-21 15:17:50

I'm going to have to Google Tilley smile
Weddings are a bit of a nuisance aren't they?
All least they're not expecting you to travel abroad for the honour of seeing them get married!

J52 Tue 08-Jun-21 15:35:46

FannyCornforth

Weddings are a bit of a nuisance aren't they?
All least they're not expecting you to travel abroad for the honour of seeing them get married!

The last wedding we were invited to was abroad with full pomp and ceremony. The couple were not from that country and couldn’t legally be married there, so they married in secret, alone beforehand!
Seemed to defeat the object, to me.

Calendargirl Tue 08-Jun-21 15:40:23

I thought Tilley was an old fashioned type of lamp!

foxie48 Tue 08-Jun-21 15:42:06

I'd contact the bride's mother and check if your DH needs to wear a tail coat etc the last wedding we went to was morning dress, OH got trussed up but there were quite a few guests who wore nice suits. I wore a hat but my MIL wore a fascinator and she looked lovely. This was a very formal wedding, service in Pembroke college chapel and reception in Queen's College dining hall but once we'd all had a few glasses I doubt anyone would have bothered what people were wearing and if your relatives are decent people, I shouldn't think they would either! Have a lovely time!

aonk Tue 08-Jun-21 15:57:31

When my daughter got married 3 years ago it was in the winter and she specified “black tie” ie dinner suits. Most men wore these but a few had ordinary dark suits which looked very appropriate. As others have advised a quick chat with the groom’s parents should clarify things. Hiring a morning suit will add to the expense but for you a hat or fascinator does not need to be expensive. Also it will formalise your lovely outfit. Shops like Accessorize have these or you could look on line.

silverlining48 Tue 08-Jun-21 16:08:11

Calendargirl Tilleys are lamps but also expensive hats which can go through an elephant (and out the other end) float on water, never lets you down with a lifetime guarantee, and my dh loves his. Adding a flower or ribbon would make it eminently suitable fir the most fancy wedding.
Would agree to check with the family. I woukd think a suit and pretty outfit woukd certainly be acceptable.

Callistemon Tue 08-Jun-21 16:22:14

Calendargirl

I thought Tilley was an old fashioned type of lamp!

grin

Me too.
Oh, no need, just seen sodapop's post. grin

Hiring morning dress costs quite a bit these days too.
I think your outfit will be fine with a fascination or hat.

Whatever you do you will find there will be someone else at the wedding who has ignored the dress code.

Personally, I think it is rather presumptuous to expect guests other than the bridal party to adhere to such a strict dress code and rather unusual these days too.

Secondly - would it be unreasonable to ask the groom's parents if our usual dress would be too out-of-place?
Presumably one of the parents is a sibling of you or your DH?
Could you include it in a chat about wedding gifts etc

Callistemon Tue 08-Jun-21 16:22:50

Fascinator
(autocorrect!)

Callistemon Tue 08-Jun-21 16:26:30

Just googled Tilley hats

I'm not sure - they look more like the kind of hat I'd wear if I was camping in the outback.
Except we have Akrubas)

Aldom Tue 08-Jun-21 16:34:46

Tilley hats also have a secret compartment inside the crown where one can keep emergency money. My husband had winter and summer Tilley hats. The winter hat has flaps which can be pulled down to protect the forehead, ears and the back of the neck from the cold.

Nannarose Tue 08-Jun-21 16:40:27

Thank you all so much. You will not be surprised to know that the sibling relationship is on DH's side - if on mine, it wouldn't be formal, and anyway we'd have discussed it endlessly already. We do all get on well, and I think we will ask - but that means that if they say 'definitely morning dress - as specified on the invitation' then we have little choice, whereas they are unlikely to throw us out if we turn up!

Just taken a phone call from a young relative who has said that 'morning dress' is a deal-breaker for them. Knowing their financial situation we had offered to give them a lift and pay the hotel so they could join us all. So we really do have to speak to someone about this.
Callistemon - I am interested that you think it 'presumptuous' to ask guests to adhere to a dress code - so do I - but we wonder if it is 'presumptuous' of us to ignore their wishes?

We are OK with it costing us a lot - we have budgeted for this - but somehow paying extra for the privilege of turning up in inferior clothes seems a step too far. Thanks to all who have said that my dress sounds OK - and glad that some of you now know the wonder of Tilley!

silverlining48 Tue 08-Jun-21 16:51:33

Yes I forgot about the secret compartment. My dh is a big fan and has summer and winter weight Tilleys too Aldom.

Parky Tue 08-Jun-21 17:04:28

As a close relative of your husband, I think they would be upset if you ignored their wishes. If you can't broach the subject in casual conversation, the easiest way, stick to the rules.

If someone wants their wedding a particular way it's their choice. Very upsetting when requests are made,people accept, then ignore!