Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Forgiving trousers?

(60 Posts)
GranJan60 Thu 10-Jun-21 11:47:57

Can anyone recommend cotton trousers/crops with an elasticated waistband/back elastic for post-lockdown wear? I HATE those polyester sweaty ones usually offered.

Kc55 Tue 28-Dec-21 18:38:23

George at Asda do a black straight leg jogger for a very reasonable price. Also Simply Be £12? I think. So comfortable , don't need ironing, they do have a tie front but it's not functioning so I just cut them off.

lizzypopbottle Tue 28-Dec-21 13:54:35

Get the old sewing machine out of mothballs, GranJan!

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 28-Dec-21 13:25:48

This is of great interest to me I, too have had the problem. Even a coat shrank while hanging ing the wardrobe - I don't care what the trousers look like, as long as they fit comfortably!!

Jodieb Sun 20-Jun-21 16:46:21

What I don't like about elasticated waists is the ties - who wants a bow in front you? I'm pleased to see some have a zip and button this year.

Rosiebee Mon 14-Jun-21 08:24:19

M&S do a linen mix line in crops and trousers. I like their "peg" style trousers with elasticated back waist and have pairs in navy and black and stone. BHS was my go to for cotton crops. Still have lots of pairs which are in daily use all summer.

Amberone Sun 13-Jun-21 21:37:22

Cabbie61 I am mid sixties and I wear tennis shoe style shoes with my dresses and skirts (not with socks though! ). I buy cheap ones usually, and put in a nice comfy insole. I have a couple of pairs of Hotter ones too.

Cabbie21 Sun 13-Jun-21 21:24:16

I have some forgiving skirts, but my problem is footwear. With trousers, I can wear lace up trainer type shoes, which are really comfortable, but I am not keen on wearing them with a skirt, particularly as I need to wear socks. I have a cousin who wears skirts, socks and lace ups but I am not prepared to go down that route. Young women wear trainers with skirts and dresses, mainly white trainers. Maybe I should go for that look, but I am far from young!

Greciangirl Sun 13-Jun-21 18:03:50

Damart catalogue has loads of those sort of trousers.
Some nice cropped Capri pants. Pull on jeggings.

Have a look online.

welbeck Sun 13-Jun-21 17:42:05

when i saw the title, forgiving trousers ?
i thought,
why what have they done, taken themselves off down the road without you ?

mind you, i'm often out of step with much of the zeitgeist on here.

Lucca Sun 13-Jun-21 17:32:21

Peff68

I’ve just found Shein website fabulous clothes really cheap, and they have a curvey collection order loads from them and sizing accurate too love them!

Hmmm. Not my experience of Shein ! Poor fabric.

Bluedaisy Sun 13-Jun-21 16:27:05

K j Brand do some lovely lightweight seersucker trousers for summer also simply robbell loads of different colours and all with elastic waistbands

SJV07 Sun 13-Jun-21 16:21:29

Should any ladies of varying sizes need a skirt, try skirtfanatic.com from Totnes. Reversible, many adjustable sizes, and good cotton. 2 patterns per skirt and different lengths. Also reasonably priced. Recommended.

Rosalyn69 Sun 13-Jun-21 15:18:49

Linen is lovely. It’s cool and light and meant to crumple.
Now is the time to ditch the joggers.
Trousers with elastic waist (all or part) - Biden and Hush for me.

Loulou54 Sun 13-Jun-21 14:45:03

I discovered magic trousers (google them) they are the most fantastically comfortable trousers for all ages. I’m 55 and have so many pairs in different colours and designs long and cropped. I do have to wear a longer looser top with them because 1.5 stone caught up with me during lockdown!! ? even without the 1.5 extra stone I would still wear them for the comfort value and how lovely they look

Hobbs1 Sun 13-Jun-21 14:19:53

Next, M&S, Wallis all do really nice Harem/joggers, really comfy, and trendy and lovely colours and patterns.

knspol Sun 13-Jun-21 14:12:39

I'm also trying to ditch trousers for dresses and these are far more forgiving. Just had a couple from Boden, reasonable price and very comfy to wear. Much cooler in this weather too.

BellaT2 Sun 13-Jun-21 13:44:50

I’m also looking for COTTON trousers, which are hard to find. The replies seem to be about linen trousers. Has anyone found some cotton ones?

blueberry1 Sun 13-Jun-21 13:26:39

GraceQuirrel and Rowyn, I so agree with you. Linen is an awful fabric that always looked creased.

Grandyma Sun 13-Jun-21 12:55:37

Also don’t be put off by the fabric description, they are very lightweight and feel like cotton.

Grandyma Sun 13-Jun-21 12:39:25

These: bought 2 pairs. Love them, don’t even realise I’m wearing them!!

rowyn Sun 13-Jun-21 12:37:31

Am I the only person to avoid linen trousers because they become limp and crease so easily ?

Knopflerfan Sun 13-Jun-21 11:52:59

I’m so glad other GNs have had the dreaded shrinking trouser problem. In this house it seems to be spreading, I just unpacked my summer clothes and ALL my t-shirts and tops have shrunk too.
Now to try on the swimming costume - but first, I feel, a morale-boosting G&T is called for...

Lulubelle500 Sun 13-Jun-21 11:50:42

I have Poetry linen trousers this Summer, wide leg and cropped, black and white. Their linen is a slightly heavier weight and disguises any wobble from lockdown indulgence.

Bijou Sun 13-Jun-21 11:42:33

Women of a certain age and size do not look their best in trousers. I am sure that a lot of women don’t look in a mirror at their back view. A dress is more cooling in hot weather.

inishowen Sun 13-Jun-21 11:39:22

This post resonates with me! I have spent the morning trying on my shorts, trousers and tops. The majority are too tight and are in the charity bag. As I've got older I eat less, yet keep getting fatter round my middle.