Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Tights, forgotten how uncomfortable they are!

(143 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Thu 29-Jul-21 18:24:10

I have just come back from a funeral. This has meant for the first time in years I have worn a dress and the dreaded tights. I had forgotten how uncomfortable they are! I am rather overweight ( size 16 / 18). I never know whether to go for pull everything in ones, or let it all hang loose ones. Then they roll over at the top and slide down at the crotch. Pulling them up is undignified and usually means I stick my finger through them. I am at a wedding on Saturday so have to go through the whole tight wearing scenario again! Any hints or advice anyone? I even contemplated wearing knickers over my tights!! Thank you. Xx

ARCC Sun 01-Aug-21 10:55:35

Enjoy yourself. Tights are just horrible

JanetWestYorks Sun 01-Aug-21 10:56:15

Another vote for Snag tights. Spent all my life hating tights so usually wore trousers for work. Now retired I find snag tights and have given all my other tights to my daughter. But I have converted her to Snag too. They seem expensive at first but so comfortable and really do last well.

Blossoming Sun 01-Aug-21 10:59:14

I hope you had a lovely time yesterday Lizbethann55

Lupin Sun 01-Aug-21 11:01:02

Goodness me! There are some tart answers on this thread!
I relate to the problems described and haven't worn tights for years. However skirts and dresses are becoming more widely seen, and I have been tempted. My advice is to dye your legs, or tan them.
I hope you enjoy the wedding.

GrammarGrandma Sun 01-Aug-21 11:01:53

I love tights! And now that I have found Popsy through Gransnet I have lots of solid colours in a beautiful range. They are wonderfully comfortable and never roll down. They don't do sheer ones but you could get black for the funeral. Their size chart works.

Mishy Sun 01-Aug-21 11:02:31

I'm a big fan of Snag too, have a look on there.

Nicolaed Sun 01-Aug-21 11:02:38

I’m am 18-20 and I buy my tights from Boots on the high street. I get size XL and wear a lightweight pantie girdle from M&S and I have none of the problems you mention. Good luck for Saturday!

LizzieDrip Sun 01-Aug-21 11:06:58

Hate tights - haven’t worn them for years. They are so uncomfortable! Long floaty dresses for summer (very fashionable right now) and trousers / leggings for winter. Lots of people (young and old) don’t wear tights now so I think there’ll be plenty at the wedding not wearing them. I wouldn’t worry - go for comfort (no tights) and you’ll enjoy your day much more. Have fun!

1Jodie Sun 01-Aug-21 11:08:05

As it's summer, I would go for a midi skirt with just a few inches of leg showing, no tights or stockings and a nice pair of summer sandals.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 01-Aug-21 11:11:09

My preference is for stockings and suspender-belts.

When tights put in their appearance along with the mini-skirt when I was a teenager, I realised that tights and my bottom and surrounding area just do not have similar shapes.

During the mini skirt time, I wore a pair of pants under my tights and another pair over them to keep them up. When longer skirts came in again I went back to stockings with a huge sigh of relief.

RosieJ Sun 01-Aug-21 11:11:25

Another huge vote for Snags here. A large range of colours and styles/deniers to choose from plus their "chub rub" shorts take the pain out of the hot weather when bare legged.
I'm 5' 8" and a size 22. With Snags I no longer have to suffer either the dreaded crotch around the knees or the alternative of "Nora Batty" ankles! wink

Janetashbolt Sun 01-Aug-21 11:15:08

I was going to suggest SNAG, up till I bought these I'd wear pants over and under, very unpleasant in the heat

merlotgran Sun 01-Aug-21 11:16:35

I’m another one who would go for the bare legs/fake tan option.

I’ll be wearing a dress to a posh silver wedding ‘do’ at the end of the month. I have plenty of time to build up the tan - doesn’t look like I’m going to get any help from the sun!!

hamster58 Sun 01-Aug-21 11:19:07

Agree with some others, just buy a larger size. This is not because I think you're big, it's because bigger sizes also are meant for taller people. I am only 5'4" but never buy that size or as you say, they slip down and are really uncomfy around the top of your legs, or pull on your toes. Enjoy the wedding!

Aepgirl Sun 01-Aug-21 11:21:54

That’s a bit harsh MissChateline. I am a size 10/12 and experience exactly the same problem as Lizbethan. It has nothing to do with size, it’s just that the tights, no matter how expensive or cheap, don’t fit properly.

Mimi54 Sun 01-Aug-21 11:27:56

Another vote for Snag tights which are brilliant and come in wonderful colours

Smurf52 Sun 01-Aug-21 11:32:00

Hold ups. M&S. I've never looked back since wearing them on special occasions.

Lollipop1 Sun 01-Aug-21 11:37:53

Simples...... buy some fake tan and colour your legs. Lots to choose from in supermarkets and Boots the Chemist. Follow the instructions carefully.

poshpaws Sun 01-Aug-21 11:39:41

Another vote for Snag tights. I'm size 22 (much to my own horror!) and I find them soooo comfy and easy to put on. They go from a size 6-8 right up to size 28-36, and they make them to scale width-wise as well as height. Another major bonus is that along with the normal brown and black options, they do a big selection of brights, pastels, fishnets and funky. And they're not even expensive!

Theoddbird Sun 01-Aug-21 11:45:27

Holdups are amazing. I wear dresses a lot and always wear holdups. They are comfortable. I am a size 16/18 as well

Kestrel Sun 01-Aug-21 11:49:35

Another vote for M&S holdups - nice bit of lace at the top too! I tried sizes 18 and 20 tights on my size 16 tum and they are far too uncomfortable - and too long on my 5'5" frame. My sis who is size 10 cannot get comfy tights either.

coastalgran Sun 01-Aug-21 11:53:11

Book a spray tan for your legs, will look very pretty with a lovely summer dress and nice shoes and means that you don't need tights which never look good unless they are black.

Westbury8 Sun 01-Aug-21 11:54:48

Definitely try the knickers over the tights. Works brilliantly for me. I love tights and wear them all winter!

Jellygran Sun 01-Aug-21 11:57:22

I would recommend Snag tights. Made for the larger lady. They are amazing. Bit more expensive but worth every penny. Also chubby rub shorts under a dress with bare legs .

Paperbackwriter Sun 01-Aug-21 12:21:05

I haven't worn tights for years. I go for leggings. In winter I wear black socks with them so there's continuation of colour and in summer bare feet. So much more comfortable than tights.
Also, hou could wear a long dress, I guess!