Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Tights, forgotten how uncomfortable they are!

(143 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Thu 29-Jul-21 18:24:10

I have just come back from a funeral. This has meant for the first time in years I have worn a dress and the dreaded tights. I had forgotten how uncomfortable they are! I am rather overweight ( size 16 / 18). I never know whether to go for pull everything in ones, or let it all hang loose ones. Then they roll over at the top and slide down at the crotch. Pulling them up is undignified and usually means I stick my finger through them. I am at a wedding on Saturday so have to go through the whole tight wearing scenario again! Any hints or advice anyone? I even contemplated wearing knickers over my tights!! Thank you. Xx

pamdixon Sun 01-Aug-21 16:10:32

I wear longish skirts and pop socks if I'm going to a funeral or wedding,, and just hope that my skirt doesn't ride up if I'm sitting down! I find putting on tights a total nightmare - so glad other people have problems too!! I can never manage to manoeuvre myself into the right position to get tights on.

Flytothestars Sun 01-Aug-21 16:38:19

Snag tights are brilliant!!

dumdum Sun 01-Aug-21 16:54:17

Haven’t worn tights for ages, have an auto immune skin condition that makes them an utter no no. Long trousers, long skirts I have, even managed the posh night on a cruise with nice trousers.

annodomini Sun 01-Aug-21 17:50:29

If I'm wearing calf or knee-length boots, I wear leggings rather than tights, with socks to keep my feet warm. I did try hold-ups a year or so ago, but they always slid down, usually on one leg or the other! I dislike pop socks because they are too tight and leave a groove round the calf,

Bluefox Sun 01-Aug-21 18:26:30

MissChateline

Sorry but if I were you I would be trying to reduce a little so this wasn’t an issue in the future.

Harsh!

esgt1967 Sun 01-Aug-21 18:48:29

I detest wearing tights, I’m 5’10” and can never find tights long enough but when I have to wear them I ALWAYS wear my knickers over the top and usually “control” pants that serve a dual purpose - keeping some of the flab in as well as keeping my tights up, ha ha!

JaneJudge Sun 01-Aug-21 18:52:17

tall people try snag

Musicgirl Sun 01-Aug-21 18:54:32

I am another Snag tights lover. They are a very good fit; so much so that I would not wear another brand and the same for my mother. Their sizes are generous and fit from size 4 to size 36. You would probably need size E. They are available online.

esgt1967 Sun 01-Aug-21 18:59:25

I have never heard of snag tights, will google now

Lesley60 Sun 01-Aug-21 19:13:07

I can’t believe how rude some posts are on here about should be losing weight, I have recently put on 4 stone not through overeating but because of medication I have been prescribed.
Maybe people should stop and think before posting judgemental comments.
Lizbethann55 I would either put a pair of pants on top to stop them rolling down or wear a nice pair of trousers

JaneJudge Sun 01-Aug-21 19:14:19

Lesley60, try snag tights smile not everyone on here is judgemental - it is best to ignore them wink

Lizbethann55 Sun 01-Aug-21 20:33:23

Thanks everyone. Wedding was lovely. I wore ordinary tights but in a size bigger than I would ordinarily do. No tights issues and a good time was had by me and everyone else there. I have seen Snag tights advertised a lot on Facebook but as they always look very thick and in bright colours I have never looked further. I dont think there were many tights wearers at the wedding, but lots of bare tanned legs. Sadly I find court shoes and no tights very uncomfortable and tends to lead to blisters, added to which I have ankle and foot lymphoedema and find wearing tights gives me some support instead of my usual compression sock.
I think losing weight in 24 hours was a rather big ask! But to the rest of you, many thanks. I will definitely research Snags

Yammy Sun 01-Aug-21 22:02:43

I have trouble with tights as I have a hiatus hernia and am quite short in the body with long legs, after I have eaten they dig in really badly and agrevate my hernia. My daughter made the suggestion of buying maternity tights which I do when going somewhere special!!! If I am at home I try to buy them with a deep welt and cut part through it at intervals.
Must admit preCovid I was at two weddings and laughed in the loos where I had gone to take mine off and the bin was over flowing with spanx knickers that had been disgarded by other guests.[grin}

Jzpap Sun 01-Aug-21 23:02:01

I’m not tall but until I discovered Snag tights I struggled to find any that fitted well although M&S Autograph silky ones aren’t too bad. I would however recommend Snags regardless of your size.

Bluedaisy Mon 02-Aug-21 00:00:39

I hate tights too and avoid them if I can but if I have to wear them I always wear a very light ‘panty girdle’ or whatever they are called nowadays from M&S over the tights so there’s no chance of the crotch ending up around my knees. I always feel much more comfortable knowing they are supported to stay up by a light but pair of hold me in slightly knickers! Have a lovely day Saturday.

NannieAnnie64 Mon 02-Aug-21 07:07:43

Miss Chateline......Rude and not helpful.

Lizbethann55, do you have to wear tights? Have you thought about leg makeup before? Sally Hansen airbrush legs was a game changer for me when I had a summer wedding a few years ago. It applies really well and gives a lovely glow to your legs. Is is rain proof, doesn't smudge, doesn't have a terrible smell and washes off with soap and water at the end of the night. I've not worn tights since. If you're fair skinned like me, I never get a tan on my legs, so I go for the 'light glow' shade. You won't regret trying it.

Mcbab Mon 02-Aug-21 07:44:41

I too find tights very uncomfortable to wear until my daughter introduced me to snag tights. So very comfortable! They take into account your width as well as your height and this is what makes the difference.

Gabrielle56 Mon 02-Aug-21 19:14:45

Wear long skirts/dresses and fake the tan! Or , wear trousers .I either wear maxi length or pants, I haven't worn tights for 15 years Since I gave up work. Maxi can be extremely elegant and tights at so last century!

GrandmaRosie Mon 02-Aug-21 19:35:59

Boyzone

Today 13:04 Kartush

Im sorry but why do you have to wear tights at all, is there a rule somewhere that says you cant go out without them? I have never worn stockings pantyhose or tights and the world hasnt ended. Go bare legged….becdaring ?

Sadly we don’t all have beautiful unblemished legs ?

Agree, my legs are a long way off perfect, so long skirts or trousers in summer, but get my shorter skirts and dresses out in winter with M&S Autograph cotton tights which are amazingly comfortable and don’t give your legs the creepy feeling that some tights do !

Kartush Mon 02-Aug-21 23:06:26

Boyzone

Today 13:04 Kartush

Im sorry but why do you have to wear tights at all, is there a rule somewhere that says you cant go out without them? I have never worn stockings pantyhose or tights and the world hasnt ended. Go bare legged….becdaring ?

Sadly we don’t all have beautiful unblemished legs ?

Oh my goodness Boyzone my legs are the farthest thing from beautiful or unblemished, they are blemished and then some but tights etc are uncomfortable and If people dont like how my legs look they can just look at something else

MayBee70 Mon 02-Aug-21 23:41:16

I need to wear tights because they hold all my wobbly bits in. I suppose that’s why they’re called tights.

Magrithea Sat 14-Aug-21 13:22:17

Probably been suggested but hold ups work, just don't put body lotion on your legs before you wear them!

Or do the school girl trick of putting some 'hold all the 'extra' bits in' knickers over the top! That stops the sliding down and holds any wobbly bits in too!

Darceybuss1001 Wed 29-Sep-21 12:08:17

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

DisneyTaylor Tue 15-Mar-22 16:47:39

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

eazybee Tue 15-Mar-22 16:56:43

I love wearing tights, having grown up in the era of stockings and suspenders, even panty girdles. My first pair of nylon tights cost nineteen shillings and eleven pence, and I treasured them.
I have been wearing thick woolly tights under baggy jumpers and skirts or woolly dresses and boots this winter ; very snug.