Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

What should my husband wear?

(61 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Sat 18-Feb-23 13:39:52

My DD1 will soon be 40 and is having a party. She has had a torrid year ( lost job, marriage break up, moving back to live with us and a major fall out with her best mate) so it is very much an " I'm still standing" party. She has got a fabulous glitzy dress and even I have got dressy trousers and a sparkly top. But what can my DH wear? He is 70, quite tall, a mass of white hair and quite thin. In fact he is starting to look scrawny, especially his bum. He has never been very clever at the " smart but casual" look. He is happiest in a suit , shirt and tie . He tends to look over smart or scruffy. This party really isn't a suit and tie type do, but I just don't know what he should wear, or, more particularly , where he can look. Time is running out. I have been so focused on me, that I haven't given him a thought. Please help!!!!

twinnytwin Sat 18-Feb-23 13:46:41

My DH would wear a pair of chinos and a casual shirt. He has a linen type jacket which would smarten the outfit up if that's what your DH is more comfortable with. M&S have some nice stuff in at the moment. Casual shoes - Clarks are nice.

J52 Sat 18-Feb-23 13:46:48

My DH of a similar build would wear a pair of casual trousers, probably of a chino type, and a long sleeved casual shirt with a small pattern.
Looking in his wardrobe, it would be blue, quite thick cotton with some kind of check pattern.
Take him along to M&S or Next.

JaneJudge Sat 18-Feb-23 13:51:25

Joe Browns do some really snazzy shirts

Oreo Sat 18-Feb-23 14:01:24

I second that JaneJudge chinos and a snazzy/jazzy shirt would work well.

MawtheMerrier Sat 18-Feb-23 14:02:46

I like the sound of chinos, smart casual open necked shirt and a linen jacket. Loafers would be nice - maybe slightly more formal than trainers but there are some lovely “smart” trainers for men too.

JaneJudge Sat 18-Feb-23 14:13:55

I've just been looking on Joe Browns, they do some really nice waistcoats too

seadragon Sat 18-Feb-23 14:19:22

A kilt....with braces of course.... and full regalia too...?

grandtanteJE65 Sat 18-Feb-23 14:20:12

I suggest you let your husband wear what he feels comfortable in.

If he wants to wear a suit fine, as long as he knows he will probably be the only one wear that.

If the thought of being the only man in a suit bothers him, surely he has a pair of jeans or slacks he could wear with a shirt and a tweed jacket or with a jersey?

NotAGran55 Sat 18-Feb-23 14:28:12

It sounds quite a dressy affair from the outfits you and DD are wearing. Perhaps the suit trousers with a smart shirt and fine knit jumper would work for him, with good shoes?

62Granny Sat 18-Feb-23 14:32:26

Chino (coloured?) type trousers and a pattern shirt, Floral? if you want to splash out a linen style suit M&S used to do a non crease style.
With lovely grey hair look at some of the pink/ lilac shades of shirt.

Joseanne Sat 18-Feb-23 14:33:21

How about moleskin trousers which are smart and dressy? Add a nice open necked shirt plus a jacket if he feels underdressed.
I buy a lot of my DH's clothes from Charles Tyrwitt, for the distinguished but on trend sort of look!

Susie42 Sat 18-Feb-23 14:34:26

Chinos, polo shirt, blazer, and highly polished tan shoes.

pascal30 Sat 18-Feb-23 14:35:27

Linen jacket or suit.. and a hat

Joseanne Sat 18-Feb-23 14:35:45

JaneJudge

Joe Browns do some really snazzy shirts

Ooo their stuff looks good, and not at all pricey either. Thanks.

sandelf Sat 18-Feb-23 14:35:51

Not cheap but I've seen them and they are swish - would one of these hit the spot? www.claudioluglishirts.com/sale/mens-t58

M0nica Sat 18-Feb-23 14:39:30

DH, is admittedly a different shape bu he goes for black trousers and a black polo neck sweater or shirt. Trousers can be dress trousers, jeans, or corderoy, depending on the occasion and the same for the top. Occasionally a cravat makes an appearance, loosely tied.

He also has a magmificent brocade double breasted waist coat that DD made him which comes out for gala evenings on cruises, and going to Glynebourne

Patsy70 Sat 18-Feb-23 15:02:20

Chinos, long-sleeved patterned shirt, snazzy waistcoat, polished loafers. Maybe a good fitting lightweight jacket, if necessary.

J52 Sat 18-Feb-23 15:03:02

There are some nice shirts at Charles Trywhitt, they’ve got a sale on at the moment.

NotSpaghetti Sat 18-Feb-23 15:08:29

MawtheMerrier

I like the sound of chinos, smart casual open necked shirt and a linen jacket. Loafers would be nice - maybe slightly more formal than trainers but there are some lovely “smart” trainers for men too.

My thoughts exactly.
There are some fabulous linen jackets for men - in great colours too!

You can wear smart jeans with a good linen jacket too.

BlueBelle Sat 18-Feb-23 15:13:48

Let the poor guy wear what he feels comfortable and familiar with surely your daughter will be happy to have him there and know his normal dress
I would hate someone to ‘dress ‘ me I d be so uncomfortable in what others perceived to be the ‘correct’ outfit
* Janejudge* you must have a different budget to me I love Joe Browns stuff but find it VERY expensive and only buy when it’s on sale

Norah Sat 18-Feb-23 15:14:35

First - tall, thin, masses of white hair - wonderful! Think Bill Nighy.

My beautiful husband is short, 5'10, thin, masses of gorgeous silver hair - looks fabulous in well fitting slim black trousers, white dress shirt, unbottoned at top, brown loafers, less structured jacket.

You and Daughter are dressing up, all your husband needs to do is drop the tie, structured suit jacket and formal shoes.

Norah Sat 18-Feb-23 15:19:10

Maybe not this Bill Nighy attire.

NotSpaghetti Sat 18-Feb-23 15:26:46

Don't know this brand but looks possible to me.... but then my husband loves bold shirts..
www.brooktaverner.co.uk/jacket-collection/all-jackets/gower-navy-linen-mix-suit-jacket-5307a.html

Redhead56 Sat 18-Feb-23 15:27:57

Joe Browns clothes I second that! Nice smart trousers and shirt maybe neaten the hair up a bit good enough.