Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Are serums worth it?

(45 Posts)
BigBertha1 Sat 12-Aug-23 10:47:41

I went to the hairdresser yesterday and as the boss was away I was honoured with his usual chair in the big window. My goodness what an old hag! I had many more wrinkles than I thought. So now I'm thinking better get on with serum and some botox. I looked at Clarins, my usual make, and goodness me the price. is it worth it I ask myself and now I ask you if you would be so kind as to give me the raw unvarnished truth?

Aveline Sat 12-Aug-23 10:50:32

I have to say as a lifelong Estée Lauder fan that I gave up my 'skincare regime' during Covid lockdown which resulted in - nothing much. No visible difference. I think it's all just a racket. Drink plenty of water and sleep as well as possible.

twinnytwin Sat 12-Aug-23 10:53:47

I've been using Elizabeth Arden serum for several years and I'm sure it's made a big difference. I also have had botox between my eyes occasionally. I search on the internet for special offers for the serum and other creams etc that I use. Around Christmas I stock up with the special offers. I'm worth it!

Skydancer Sat 12-Aug-23 10:55:05

Your boss's mirror is obviously faulty as mine in the lounge is smile. Seriously, we can't rid ourselves of wrinkles but it's definitely worth trying our best not to get more. I've just bought a serum made from beeswax. Feels very nice on the skin. If you go to your local health shop they probably sell natural skin care products. I find these are often more expensive than the traditional ones we've all heard of but they are usually far better quality and obviously natural.

twinnytwin Sat 12-Aug-23 10:55:08

Oh, and I ensure I use Factor 50 face cream every day - even through the winter.

tanith Sat 12-Aug-23 10:56:29

I was given an expensive serum for a present I used the whole thing and noticed no improvement whatsoever. I went back to Olay and Lidls night cream.

maddyone Sat 12-Aug-23 10:58:17

My skin feels horribly dry without moisturiser. I’m not sure serums make any difference.

kittylester Sat 12-Aug-23 10:59:35

I use Olay from Sainsbury's. Nit sure it makes a difference but it makes me feel better.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 12-Aug-23 11:34:25

I am a serum junky Estée Lauder’s Advanced Night Serum has been my fall back for as long as I can remember.

Espa’s serum is good (it was part of a spa package gift)

Whitewavemark2 Sat 12-Aug-23 11:42:39

My Clarins serum is languishing in the drawer. At battling on for 80 I am content to be still alive😄. I do use factor 50 though having skin cancer a few years ago.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 12-Aug-23 12:17:20

I use serum under moisturiser and also SPF50. I started using the serum when moisturiser alone didn’t seem to be enough. It has certainly made a difference. My skin is good for my age.

sodapop Sat 12-Aug-23 12:22:04

Same here GSM I love my Clarins serum.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 12-Aug-23 12:24:29

Well worth the money imo.

Casdon Sat 12-Aug-23 12:43:46

GrannyGravy13

I am a serum junky Estée Lauder’s Advanced Night Serum has been my fall back for as long as I can remember.

Espa’s serum is good (it was part of a spa package gift)

I love the Estée Lauder serum too, I’ve been using it for years, even if the boost is more psychological than anything else, it makes my skin feel soft, and that’s all that matters to me.

foxie48 Sat 12-Aug-23 13:33:13

I put my Clarins serum on before I even get dressed. I've used it for years, have no idea if it works or not but I used to put a bit on the back of my hand and there's a definite difference in the number of age spots that I have there.

hollysteers Sat 12-Aug-23 13:53:31

Botox certainly works, but the skin cream industry is a con. Yes, use a skin cream and SPF50, but they are all much of a muchness.

sandelf Sat 12-Aug-23 13:59:46

Well serums go on the surface but supplements go all through - joints, eyes etc so I'm happier spending there. But I do use this and 'think' it improves me a bit (couple of drops diluted in hand with equal amount of water). victoriahealth.com/anti-aging-multipeptide-serum/

glammagran Sat 12-Aug-23 15:32:41

I use Estée Lauder and Elemis products mainly but intersperse with cheaper products like Cerave which I think is very good. I find with Clarins and No 7 moisturisers I am rubbing away for ages trying to get rid of the white so won’t use them again (though top marks for No 7 serums).

A few months ago I bought some Estée Lauder nighttime moisturiser online but frustratingly can’t recall from where and recently opened the find it smells awful so must have been sitting in a warehouse somewhere for years.

Before lockdown I bought some Clinique moisturiser in Boots that smelt of fish. I took it back and was told that was how it was supposed to smell. Unbelievable but I got a refund. First and last time I’ve bought that brand.

maddyone Sat 12-Aug-23 15:36:39

I’ve been told I don’t look my age and my skin in very good for my age, but that pretty well applies to all my family, it’s in the genes. My mother had lovely skin and not that many wrinkles until her last year in the care home, then she did look a poor old lady. She was 94 when she died.
I’ve used moisturiser since I turned forty. I use either Elemis, or Clinique. I always use at least a 15 factor in the winter, and a 30 or 50 factor in the summer or on holiday. I do use an Elemis serum but not convinced it makes any difference. I’ve never tried Clarins which a lot of you seem to like. That’s because I have sensitive skin and don’t try too many products in case of a reaction. I occasionally use Olay too.

glammagran Sat 12-Aug-23 15:41:19

I highly recommend Nivea Dark Spot control, SPF 50 for faces. It’s quite cheap but is very nice to apply. I was very dubious about this claim as I do have brown marks caused by sun damage. But for me it has worked. I spent 10 days in Feurteventura and no new marks have appeared and many have faded.

Primrose53 Sat 12-Aug-23 15:55:12

i used to buy expensive ones from Clarins but I have bought some excellent ones from Aldi for a couple of £ and they sre wonderful.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 12-Aug-23 15:55:35

Every time I tried Nivea it gave me spots. No idea why.

Baggs Sat 12-Aug-23 16:00:30

Germanshepherdsmum

Every time I tried Nivea it gave me spots. No idea why.

Too rich maybe, gsm?

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 12-Aug-23 16:12:32

Dunno. Same with the body lotion. Mum used it and had lovely skin.

M0nica Sat 12-Aug-23 16:51:55

gsm allergic reaction. There are so many different chemicals useduin the beauty market, it is almost inevitable that everyone will beallergic to something. I haven't used Nivea for years as the result of an allergic reaction.

After DD had a road accident, which extensively damaged her arm, she became acquainted with many and various plastic surgeons from those who treated her with such superb skill to those whoassessed her injuries for compensation.

One of the latter told her that all she ever need to use on her face was moisteriser, but lots of it and gently massage it in for several minutes. He said there was no point in buying anything expensive and using tiny quantities. Just buy the cheapest in Superdrug and get through a jar a week.