Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Dressing gowns

(45 Posts)
Rosiebee Wed 30-Aug-23 13:35:57

This is not really a question of style, but does anyone know where I can buy a button through dressing gown. I have 2 ancient ones from M&S but they are falling apart. As I am short with a generous bosom, wrap arounds make me look like a sack of spuds and they are uncomfortable. I've just been on M&S website and there are no button throughs. Think I might have to dig out my sewing machine if all else fails.
Thanks

glammanana Wed 30-Aug-23 13:45:28

There are some lovely ones on E-bay in fleece or cotton towelling all brand new you do not have to bid for them as they can be bought on Buy it Now.
Have you looked at John Lewis I bought one last year knee length and zip front well worth a try good luck

Chardy Wed 30-Aug-23 13:46:04

Have you looked at Amazon? I think they had some when I was looking for a present for DD.

karmalady Wed 30-Aug-23 13:54:07

This one has a front zip. I have made three over the past 20+ years. One hanging on my door now in a lightweight wool, anything poly gives me static shocks. I have another tucked away for the depths of cold winter, a mid weight wool blend from rainbow fabrics. I added hoods to all three

www.etsy.com/uk/listing/869126698/sewing-pattern-for-womens-robes-kwik-sew

It is an old style pattern and like gold dust to me. Could easily be adapted to make front buttonholes but long zips are easy to source

MiniMoon Wed 30-Aug-23 13:59:24

Damart have button up dressing gowns.

Jaxjacky Wed 30-Aug-23 14:02:38

Cotton Traders and Damart have some.

Rosiebee Thu 31-Aug-23 15:09:57

Thanks for all replies. I shall be looking up all suggestions inc the sewing pattern, which looks quite cosy.

MerylStreep Thu 31-Aug-23 15:13:39

The Etsy pattern is no longer available.

NotSpaghetti Thu 31-Aug-23 15:16:51

www.slenderella.co.uk/

Maybe here?

Cadenza123 Thu 31-Aug-23 15:36:06

Seasalt. Had a great fleece one last winter from them. Bright colours and warm too.

Aldom Thu 31-Aug-23 17:09:36

I second Slenderella. Having searched for a long time for a cotton, summer housecoat with zip or buttons, I've just bought a lovely one from them. Made in Derbyshire, UK too and reasonably priced. They do winter weight dressing gowns too.

Aldom Thu 31-Aug-23 17:13:20

Slenderella summer housecoat

ninamoore Sat 02-Sep-23 11:43:24

Try Chums they seem to sell clothes for all types

Granbelle10 Sat 02-Sep-23 11:57:04

I have just googled button through dressing gowns and there are a number of on-line websites with them for sale. At reasonable prices too. Hope you find one you like.

Minnyknit Sat 02-Sep-23 12:01:37

Rosiebee, try David Neiper, I know they are more expensive but they last forever and launder beautifully. They also are so good looking. I too hate wrap around. Once you could go to M&S but not anymore.

cc Sat 02-Sep-23 12:12:02

I second David Neiper, though they are very expensive.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm looking for thin cotton pyjamas. I found some in Dickens and Jones some years ago and bought a few pairs, but they are all starting to disintegrate at once.
All the PJ's around now seem to be either thick cotton such as poplin or jersey. M&S have one pair but the jacket is really short and unflattering.

readsalot Sat 02-Sep-23 13:31:36

Cotton traders has a pretty one with a zip for £40 in pink or blue

Romola Sat 02-Sep-23 13:42:59

Ahhh Slenderella they are great. But here's something that made our GSS laugh: DH was no sort of muscle-man but his nightwear label was Beefy, while I'm a bosomy size 16, so Slenderella definitely not an accurate label either.
It made us laugh too smilegrin

mabon1 Sat 02-Sep-23 13:58:24

Just google them.

SueEH Sat 02-Sep-23 14:33:09

Can you turn a wraparound into a button through? Do you have a sewing machine?

NannaFirework Sat 02-Sep-23 14:34:52

Have you looked online at Cotton Traders or Ambrose Wilson ?
Hope you find a design you like x

Kim19 Sat 02-Sep-23 14:42:07

Nervous to recommend this because it's somewhat pricey. Having said that I've been wearing it for the last twenty five years and still feel toasty and like a million dollars in it. The company is French and I still have my invoice. My model is Val d'Isere and the company is www.grandes-marques.fr Couldn't pass by without sharing this. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Patsy70 Sat 02-Sep-23 15:34:15

Yes, I also have a fleece, zipped www.slenderella.co.uk/

JayDee60 Sat 02-Sep-23 17:05:01

Bonmarche online do zip up dressing gowns which are an improvement on button through ones that I used to have. They don’t leave a gap and are extremely comfortable when curled up on the sofa. Good luck with your search

Amalegra Sat 02-Sep-23 17:27:43

Just the thread I needed! I too am looking for a warm cosy dressing gown, preferably a tie waist one so I can wrap it round snugly. Some great suggestions I will follow up on as I simply can’t wear my ‘old faithful’ much longer. It’s full of holes and minus a pocket!