Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

British style conquers on this occasion.

(90 Posts)
MartavTaurus Thu 03-Sept-26 08:30:58

I think Camilla pitched it just right in her embroidered dress by British designer Anna Valentine. This was at the viewing of the Bayeux Tapestry in London yesterday.

JenniRen Thu 03-Sept-26 15:11:20

Casdon

I’d be very annoyed if I was called somebody’s missus, she is an independent career woman. Her name is Marie-France van Heel.
Her dress was nice, I like the pleated skirt, and it was more on trend than the other ladies’ dresses - although I wouldn’t choose white.

"it was more on trend than the other ladies’ dresses"

She is younger, though. It's lovely, they all are in their different ways, but don't choose the red 🍷

MartavTaurus Thu 03-Sept-26 15:15:03

Her shoes are very sensible too, especially with all those steps in front of the British Museum.

JenniRen Thu 03-Sept-26 15:22:44

Is that George Osborne I spy just behind the Macrons?
He is the Chair of the BM.

62Granny Thu 03-Sept-26 16:21:21

I am team Queen Camilla too I know she wears a lot of the same style but they do suit her, Mrs Macron on the other hand looks too plain , she doesn't look "finished" even her hair looks untidy. The Kings jacket looks as if it's lost its shape especially the pockets, Macron's trousers are a touch too long.

MartavTaurus Thu 03-Sept-26 17:05:17

JenniRen

Is that George Osborne I spy just behind the Macrons?
He is the Chair of the BM.

Oh yes.

Fallingstar Thu 03-Sept-26 17:25:05

I don’t think that the King looks bad at all. Is tricky when all he can ever do is wear a nice suit but the Queen can shine in any variety of ensembles.
He looked fine.
BTW am not suggesting he wears a frock 🤣

Wyllow3 Thu 03-Sept-26 17:36:57

Oh, do! 😳

Sorry, invaded by images all of a sudden.

No, I don't see them as attachments Casdon: I'm aware of Marie-France van Heel's career and basically we rarely see her and AB at "public events" - I think a big art event is the sort one might expect.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie-France_van_Heel

a very impressive lady.

Primrose53 Thu 03-Sept-26 18:22:28

I think Camilla looks just right. That style suits her.

Mrs Burnham’s outfit would look more appropriate for the occasion if it did not have that very plunging neckline. Far too revealing. The colour suits her though.
Her shoes look a bit frumpy. They look like the shoes my niece used to have to wear when she worked for an airline. She hated them.

CarrotTop Thu 03-Sept-26 18:43:36

I used to like the way QE2 used to choose her clothes & accessories according to where she was going and/or who she would be seeing. Queen Camilla is clearly taking a leaf out of her book - wear embroidered clothes to view a famous embroidery. Sorted!

Casdon Thu 03-Sept-26 18:43:52

Look at the Tatler Primrose53, that’s the only site I could find with a decent picture. Her dress did have a plunging neckline, but her shoes definitely weren’t frumpy, or like an airline staff member.

NotSpaghetti Fri 04-Sept-26 00:15:45

I'm another who was surprised she wore a dress quite so plunging....

Parsley3 Fri 04-Sept-26 06:39:44

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Casdon Fri 04-Sept-26 07:32:46

No, it was low but narrow, cleavage only.

OldFrill Fri 04-Sept-26 09:22:35

Tatler, fb

MG55 Fri 04-Sept-26 09:39:29

OldFrill

Tatler, fb

It is a lovely dress.
Not plunging at all 👏

JenniRen Fri 04-Sept-26 11:19:24

Casdon

No, it was low but narrow, cleavage only.

Very clever design. It did not gape at all. Presumably she had reconstruction too. If reconstruction is not possible for whatever reason then it restricts the clothes you can wear.
A sensible decision on Marie-France's part.

SpinDriftCoastal Fri 04-Sept-26 11:42:27

I thought all three women looked lovely and they all made good choices. Not an easy job being in the public eye all the time.

MG55 Fri 04-Sept-26 13:39:11

SpinDriftCoastal

I thought all three women looked lovely and they all made good choices. Not an easy job being in the public eye all the time.

Yes, I agree 👍

NotSpaghetti Fri 04-Sept-26 13:40:56

I didn't see these photos OldFrill - the one I saw was more side-on and looked very low.

Is she very short?
An honest question - just wondering - as she does look very short in the first one in particular.

J52 Fri 04-Sept-26 14:35:20

JenniRen

Casdon

No, it was low but narrow, cleavage only.

Very clever design. It did not gape at all. Presumably she had reconstruction too. If reconstruction is not possible for whatever reason then it restricts the clothes you can wear.
A sensible decision on Marie-France's part.

Indeed, I love her dress, suitable without being predictable.

SueDonim Fri 04-Sept-26 14:43:53

I don’t think that’s particularly plunging - she looks though a size smaller would be better, though, or maybe a petite sizing?

Poppyred Fri 04-Sept-26 14:46:01

They must have been told to wear white?? Why otherwise would they all turn up in the same colour?

OldFrill Fri 04-Sept-26 16:18:58

NotSpaghetti

I didn't see these photos OldFrill - the one I saw was more side-on and looked very low.

Is she very short?
An honest question - just wondering - as she does look very short in the first one in particular.

Andy is a smidge off 5ft 10, tallest PM we've had for a while. M-F (should we call her Frankie, Andy does) is height unknown but looks 4-6inches shorter than him (very rough guesstimate).

Photographers will take shots from all angles and some, less flattering shots, may be favoured by some publishers just to create a furore.

If M-F has had a mastectomy (as has been suggested) then wearing this V neck dress is a positive signal to others.

Oreo Fri 04-Sept-26 16:35:10

Casdon

I’d be very annoyed if I was called somebody’s missus, she is an independent career woman. Her name is Marie-France van Heel.
Her dress was nice, I like the pleated skirt, and it was more on trend than the other ladies’ dresses - although I wouldn’t choose white.

If she is married to Andy Burnham then there’s nothing wrong with calling her Mrs Burnham on a forum.
If she chooses to retain her maiden name for professional work reasons that’s up to her.

Oreo Fri 04-Sept-26 16:37:20

All the dresses are ok, but white for all of them is a strange choice, they look like a remake of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers with the other four missing.