Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

British style conquers on this occasion.

(90 Posts)
MartavTaurus Thu 03-Sept-26 08:30:58

I think Camilla pitched it just right in her embroidered dress by British designer Anna Valentine. This was at the viewing of the Bayeux Tapestry in London yesterday.

Oreo Fri 04-Sept-26 16:45:18

Of the three, Camilla looks the best imo.

MartavTaurus Fri 04-Sept-26 16:59:49

I've changed my mind about the white dresses being chosen because of the subdued lighting in the room!

Looking through all my bumf and leaflets I collected at the museum in Bayeux last year when I saw the tapestry, it says it was initially embroidered on a plain bleached linen which would have been white. Over the course of the years, the exposed linen background has aged, and yellowed, so it is now a beige-like tone.
The ladies' dresses therefore, might well be a nod to the cloth in its original state.

Oreo Fri 04-Sept-26 17:10:18

MartavTaurus somebody needs to do some in depth research on the question of why they chose white, and you’re just the kiddy to do it!😁

OldFrill Fri 04-Sept-26 17:22:26

Camilla wore the same dress for Tea@TheTrumps. Maybe she has a rotation method.

Mollygo Fri 04-Sept-26 17:22:44

Out of the four, I think Queen Camilla was definitely the best dressed.

MartavTaurus Fri 04-Sept-26 17:27:20

OldFrill

Camilla wore the same dress for Tea@TheTrumps. Maybe she has a rotation method.

Yes, I noticed that, but couldn't think of any connection!

In my extensive research, useless information coming up now, I found out that the flax plants used to make the tapestry were grown, harvested, and processed locally in the south of England. Kent? The linen was stretched in the sunshine, and soured milk was poured over it to make it more white. It must have stank somewhat!

OldFrill Fri 04-Sept-26 17:40:08

Probably de rigueur in the 11th century, dab of sour milk behind the ears.

Casdon Fri 04-Sept-26 18:32:41

Oreo

Casdon

I’d be very annoyed if I was called somebody’s missus, she is an independent career woman. Her name is Marie-France van Heel.
Her dress was nice, I like the pleated skirt, and it was more on trend than the other ladies’ dresses - although I wouldn’t choose white.

If she is married to Andy Burnham then there’s nothing wrong with calling her Mrs Burnham on a forum.
If she chooses to retain her maiden name for professional work reasons that’s up to her.

She was not called Mrs Burnham. She was called Andy Burnham’s missus, which implies she is his possession- given she has retained her maiden name, that is derogatory, more 1960s terminology than present day.

Oreo Fri 04-Sept-26 19:06:59

So if someone said that Andy Burnham is her husband or hubby or whatever, does that imply he is her possession? It doesn’t say that to me.
It’s nitpicking of the highest order imo

Oreo Fri 04-Sept-26 19:08:47

OldFrill

Probably de rigueur in the 11th century, dab of sour milk behind the ears.

🤣
Attracts pigs to follow you home

Casdon Fri 04-Sept-26 19:25:06

Oreo

So if someone said that Andy Burnham is her husband or hubby or whatever, does that imply he is her possession? It doesn’t say that to me.
It’s nitpicking of the highest order imo

There we go then.

merlotgran Fri 04-Sept-26 20:10:38

MissAdventure

I think its about the nicest I've seen Camilla look.
I rather like the king looking a little rumpled, too.

So do I. Maybe his secret style icon is Monty Don. 😂

denbylover Fri 04-Sept-26 20:27:30

I think Mme Macron looks sensational, I think she generally does. Camilla not so much.

I did wonder what all the white was about, perhaps it’s ‘the’ colour of the season. Yesterday I heard brown is the ‘new’ black, really? What do I know?!

SueDonim Fri 04-Sept-26 20:32:20

I saw a good photo of Marie-France van Heel’s outfit earlier and I think it’s a lovely dress, close up. I still think it rather swamps her, mind. It’s High Street, from Reiss, about £400, so although not the kind of money I could pay, it’s affordable to quite a few people.

MayBee70 Sat 05-Sept-26 01:29:03

denbylover

I think Mme Macron looks sensational, I think she generally does. Camilla not so much.

I did wonder what all the white was about, perhaps it’s ‘the’ colour of the season. Yesterday I heard brown is the ‘new’ black, really? What do I know?!

I can't help but feel they were advised to wear white. Too much of a coincidence.

NotSpaghetti Sat 05-Sept-26 01:56:51

Just found another photo. Don't think it's quite the same as the earlier ones.

SueDonim Sat 05-Sept-26 21:46:22

Ooh, I can just imagine the skirt swishing around my legs! ❤️

Primrose53 Sat 05-Sept-26 22:07:28

MayBee70

denbylover

I think Mme Macron looks sensational, I think she generally does. Camilla not so much.

I did wonder what all the white was about, perhaps it’s ‘the’ colour of the season. Yesterday I heard brown is the ‘new’ black, really? What do I know?!

I can't help but feel they were advised to wear white. Too much of a coincidence.

The dress in question is described as Ivory, not white.

NotSpaghetti Sat 05-Sept-26 23:57:38

It's described as ivory on their website.
I actually saw it more ecru on my mobile - but they call it ivory.

MartavTaurus Sun 06-Sept-26 06:58:04

I see the word cream in that shot of the dress.

The idea of the off-white/cream background of the tapestry was deliberately.
Sections were left entirely blank so the cream background could represent skin, walls, or the knights' shields. It saved having to stitch these areas.
Cream, off-white, ivory, bright white, we don't exactly know how white the fabric started out after its dyeing process.

MartavTaurus Sun 06-Sept-26 06:58:56

* deliberate

J52 Sun 06-Sept-26 09:04:08

Still love that dress, I’m not going anywhere special, but if I was I’d be tempted!

NotSpaghetti Sun 06-Sept-26 09:07:30

J52.
I am too messy for all one pale colour.
If anyone is going to get splashed by walking in a muddy puddle, drop messy foodstuffs, brush sleeves through paint, get stained by polen... you can be sure it will be me!

Oreo Sun 06-Sept-26 09:59:39

NotSpaghetti

J52.
I am too messy for all one pale colour.
If anyone is going to get splashed by walking in a muddy puddle, drop messy foodstuffs, brush sleeves through paint, get stained by polen... you can be sure it will be me!

Is that where you got your name?😄 You had a white tee on at lunch and as you spilled a forkfull you yelled ‘oh no, not spaghetti!’

Oreo Sun 06-Sept-26 10:01:39

Often colours appear different in different lights, the dress in daylight looks white but cream in the website representation.