Gransnet forums

Technology

expatmaggie is leaving because of Google.

(72 Posts)
expatmaggie Sun 22-Apr-12 16:21:46

Just line to say I am leaving GN because everything I have written is now to be found on Google. It has something to do with the name. There is an American with that name somewhere as well. I shall reappear under another name. I found that Google didn't have so much on normal names as on Google there are usually pages of them.

glassortwo Sun 22-Apr-12 16:29:52

maggie make sure we know is you wink
I have checked my name and there is only one item showing, and its from Gransnet on the winter fuel allowance. Loads about having a glass or two, cant think what they are referring to grin

Nonu Sun 22-Apr-12 16:32:49

glassortwo when you say you have checked your name where did you do that ? is it something we should all do ? confused

Greatnan Sun 22-Apr-12 16:38:21

I googled greatnan but there were over 106 million references.
However, when I googled expatmaggie the Gransnet forum was on the first page,with all our posts. I don't think anyone outside my friends knows that I am Greatnan so I am not going to change my forum identity but it is a bit worrying.

glassortwo Sun 22-Apr-12 16:38:36

nonu I was just curious so I searched glassortwo in the search bar on Google, if your nosy like me have a go grin

Anagram Sun 22-Apr-12 16:57:26

grin I just Googled Anagram and it came up 'Did you mean nag a ram?'

yogagran Sun 22-Apr-12 16:57:41

My name didn't come up until several pages in - at least not with reference to GN. So I'm not at all concerned. Quite happy to stay the same as usual

glassortwo Sun 22-Apr-12 17:00:18

grin nag a ram

bagitha Sun 22-Apr-12 17:02:35

Hi, nag a ram, is it really ewe?

Anagram Sun 22-Apr-12 17:06:50

grin bagitha!

glassortwo Sun 22-Apr-12 17:06:51

You will never be anagram again grin

Nonu Sun 22-Apr-12 17:07:56

Glassortwo I may give it a go , I have already tried but it came up with a new zealand rugby player ! which I certainly am not , perhaps not looking in right place !

glassortwo Sun 22-Apr-12 17:11:29

nonu found your rugby player, but could not see you on the first page so I wouldnt worry.

glammanana Sun 22-Apr-12 17:18:18

glass Trust my name to be on the first page when I asked about baking powder for my scones.grin

glassortwo Sun 22-Apr-12 17:20:54

I wouldnt have expected you to be anywhere else glamma grin

glassortwo Sun 22-Apr-12 17:23:49

glamma I tried scones with b.powder and they were the best I have ever made. Trying dumplings tonight the same way, (as still forgot to get sr flour) so I will report back with the results.

glammanana Sun 22-Apr-12 17:27:40

I'm doing scones to-morrow so will use baking powder (now the proud owner of 3 tubs).Will wait for report on dumplings.Oh I just fancy some of those !!!

Nonu Sun 22-Apr-12 17:36:57

Glassortwo I will take your advice and not worry my pretty little head about it wink

curlynana Sun 22-Apr-12 18:05:47

I have just googled my name and I'm mentioned lots of times on different sites (not me though) including GN with all my posts!! I'm not sure what to do now. I don't think I like it very much.

greenmossgiel Sun 22-Apr-12 18:07:15

I'm there on Google with the Gransnet threads. Not sure I really like the thought of that much, but then, anyone can come on to Gransnet and have a look at what we're saying, can't they? confused

gracesmum Sun 22-Apr-12 18:11:34

I find this quite worrying - have googled self and there I am on the thread about my birthday. Would it not be possible to have some "closed" i.e. members only threads? It may be arrogant of me to think anybody would be interested in my meanderings, but so often what we say could identify us to the curious and I don't like being on Google.

greenmossgiel Sun 22-Apr-12 18:15:29

Neither do I, gracesmum. I really didn't think that this was likely to happen.

Mishap Sun 22-Apr-12 18:19:45

May be the answer is to have a name that also means something else. Mine dies not connect to any of my posts when googled; and I would guess that anagram's does not either.

curlynana Sun 22-Apr-12 18:22:54

Yes I know what you mean, anybody can read our posts on Gransnet anyway but being Googled feels different. I didn't even think about Google though. Hmmmm! what to do?

Jacey Sun 22-Apr-12 18:27:33

OK have any of you Googled your real name? or put it into Google images? or done it for any of your grand children? shock

That you may find scary ...especially if you put photographs to share with family or friends on Facebook...the problem is that often users do not set high enough security protocols.

I would suggest you all try it sunshine