Gransnet forums

Technology

expatmaggie is leaving because of Google.

(73 Posts)
expatmaggie Sun 22-Apr-12 16:21:46

Just line to say I am leaving GN because everything I have written is now to be found on Google. It has something to do with the name. There is an American with that name somewhere as well. I shall reappear under another name. I found that Google didn't have so much on normal names as on Google there are usually pages of them.

curlynana Sun 22-Apr-12 21:23:18

That is so funny gagagran. Love it grin

yogagran Sun 22-Apr-12 21:25:02

Thanks glass - now I can have one less container in the larder once I use up the SR flour smile

maggiemay42 Sun 22-Apr-12 21:32:34

OH my thats worrying just done mine got to page two definitely changing my name and no its not me on page two,but did for the first in my lifetime make page one.now should I try my real name shock.

yogagran Sun 22-Apr-12 21:41:27

"Don't panic" - that was the catchphrase of Clive Dunn (lance corporal Jones) in Dad's Army

Greatnan Mon 23-Apr-12 00:10:11

I feel rather overlooked - I googled my real name and went through 48 pages without seeing myself mentioned once.
I have removed all my personal details from my Facebook profile but I am not bothered about anything in my profile here. I can't see this forum being of overwhelming interest to most people who are not grandparents

nanachrissy Mon 23-Apr-12 07:55:24

I've Googled various versions of my real name and there are hundreds of us, I got bored before I found anything about me! So I'm not too concerned.
As for my Gnet name, nothing I've posted is a secret, so if anyone can identify me I really don't care!

Sewsilver Mon 23-Apr-12 08:30:10

I got to page 6 on google and all sew silver references were about sewing. Phew!

MargaretX Mon 23-Apr-12 09:13:53

Well I'm back. there are so many Margarets on Google and of course pages and pages of Margaret Thatcher. I am sure it was the description of expat that was wrong. Better without. GNHQ were very cooperative.

Anagram Mon 23-Apr-12 09:16:52

Your new name makes you sound very mysterious, MargaretX! Welcome back.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 23-Apr-12 09:21:11

Jacey, not sure we can add anything to what is already very sensible info and advice here.

There is a lot of debate generally at the moment about whether anonymity is a good thing on the internet. Mark Zuckerberg, for example, thinks it encourages people to say things they would never say to people's faces. We happen to think anonymity is useful in contexts like this, because people can say things on GN that they might not be able to say "as themselves" and find support.

Some gransnetters are happy to post photographs and be relatively "out"; others prefer to keep their profiles general (live in Aberdeen, two grandchildren) or not post profiles at all. It largely depends how you want to use Gransnet.

But there is absolutely no reason for anyone to link your username to you - even if it comes up on Google - if you don't want them to.

Personally, I think there's a debate to be had about what attitude we will all have to take in the future to the image that's presented of us on the internet. A friend of mine has just had a Wikipedia entry made about her and she doesn't like the exposure that she can't control. I found myself telling her that she had to accept that it didn't affect her offline identity. But it's very hard to make that distinction - it messes with the heads of celebs, after all, and now it's possible for any of us.

But that's another story. It's as well to remember that these forums are public, but also that they can be completely anonymous.

imjingl Mon 23-Apr-12 09:25:19

Look what is says about me!!!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jingle_%28protocol%29

imjingl Mon 23-Apr-12 09:25:47

Now, you all understood that, didn't you?

wink grin

Jacey Mon 23-Apr-12 09:37:53

Who's a clever girl then?? dragon (I'm going to use him all day ...think he's wonderful)

Not quite so sure about your logo though sunshine

nanachrissy Mon 23-Apr-12 10:00:59

Wow Jings I'm gob smacked by your complexity! grin

Grannylin Mon 23-Apr-12 10:16:10

article in the Guardian today
www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/apr/22/me-and-my-data-internet-giants
with a link showing how to track all personal data available on the internet!

Nonu Mon 23-Apr-12 11:05:04

Imjingl " clear as mud "!confused

Jacey Mon 23-Apr-12 15:57:47

dragon Welcome back MargaretX ...glad you now feel happier! sunshine

glammanana Mon 23-Apr-12 17:06:10

Oh well if nothing else I have a recipe for dumplings that sound delish! so thanks for that glass

glassortwo Mon 23-Apr-12 17:21:32

glamma hope when I am googled I my name does not come up with a connection to dumplings, that says too much about my shape grin

MargaretX Mon 23-Apr-12 17:23:51

Thanks Jacey but I shan't be writing much. Somehow I feel its time to stop and do something else with my time. I shall keep on reading and see if something political etc comes up.

bikergran Wed 30-May-12 20:59:57

oh heck! Ive jjust (no im not stuttering jut a typo error) lol...just googles bikergran and has come up with hundreds! but yes there is a post that I posted in MCN (Motor Cycle News) hmmm..!

Anagram Wed 30-May-12 21:02:41

Well, yes, they will all be there, somewhere, bikergran! That's why if you're a member of an open website it's wise to use a pseudonym (which I'm presuming you are grin)