Gransnet forums

Technology

iPad update

(35 Posts)
Galen Sat 21-Sep-13 16:24:21

Has anybody else updated their pads to IOS7
I have and I Hate it .

whenim64 Sat 21-Sep-13 16:46:02

I daren't after all I've read so far. I'll think about it in a couple of weeks when I know more.

LizG Sat 21-Sep-13 17:14:48

Thanks for the warning.

Stansgran Sat 21-Sep-13 17:30:17

I did it this morning and I hate it and I can't undo and I've forgotten my pass word. Oh J0's rude words many times over.

whenim64 Sat 21-Sep-13 17:47:10

Advice about upgrading to iOS 7 from Apple:

Should I update?
Just because your device is compatible doesn't mean it should be upgraded right away. Once you update your device to iOS 7, there is no going back to iOS 6 or whichever earlier iOS you were running. (Yes, there are unofficial ways to downgrade, but these are not recommended for regular iPhone and iPad users.)
If you are not in a rush, wait a few weeks or months until Apple releases the first updated version of iOS 7. The early releases of the operation system can include bugs that should be addressed with subsequent iOS 7 updates. Let other eager people spend the next few weeks finding and reporting these issues so you don't have to deal with them.
Older devices can experience frustrating performance issues when upgraded to a new OS. The iOS 7 software was designed specifically for the hardware that's faster than your trusty old iPhone 4. If your device is anything older than the most recent generation, it might suddenly slow down, and battery life can suffer.
This should not be as much of a problem for newer devices, such as the iPhone 5, 4th generation iPad and iPad Mini, or the latest iPod Touch. If you are worried about performance issues, skip the update.
Updating immediately is recommended only for tech-savvy early adopters who are comfortable with the risks.

Stansgran Sat 21-Sep-13 18:34:22

I suppose I thought I was supposed to. Very annoyed with myself.

Ceesnan Sat 21-Sep-13 18:45:59

Updated my iPad and phone and have found no problems. Rather like the fact that my phone now is a torch as well, but I am easily pleased smile

Galen Sat 21-Sep-13 19:18:57

Have iPad mini! The iphone4 was fine. 'Twas the iPad I had probs with!

Galen Sat 21-Sep-13 19:21:12

It was my internet mobile banking that had me cussing! I honed them and they said their computer screens were warning there were problems. Sorted now, but don't like the new layout.
Agree the torch feature on phone may be useful!

Brendawymms Sat 21-Sep-13 21:17:45

Updated iPad, iPad mini and phone and found that I can no longer AirPrint and the batteries are taking a hammering. I started a thread about this subject on the 19th but it just seemed to disappear. I would suggest people wait before updating. It's very different.

whenim64 Sat 21-Sep-13 21:26:54

Brenda the Apple website has advice about the effect on your battery. I noticed it when I copied the advice section on updating it (above)

hummingbird Sat 21-Sep-13 23:25:31

I updated, and find it very weird! I've lost some things (access to my bank accounts, for instance), and everything looks disconcertingly pale! Hey ho, I'm sure I'll get used to it!

NfkDumpling Sun 22-Sep-13 17:01:09

LISTEN TO WHEN FOLKS! I thought I was suppose to update too - wish I'd waited. My iPad is now very pale and the type thin. (Perhaps it works better on an iPhone) and when I try to swipe the page up if I'm not careful it drags up a box of "helpful" stuff from the bottom. Can't find my bookmarks - I feel sure they keep moving - and yes, the battery seems to go down a lot quicker too.

Gally Sun 22-Sep-13 17:18:11

Phew! I'm so glad I read Galens post yesterday. I ignored the request to update when it appeared this morning. I usually ignore most things until I can ask my computer whizz what his advice would be.

Mamie Sun 22-Sep-13 17:41:46

I already have the torch app. I shall wait a bit as my DD said it took 20 minutes to load with 50mg broadband and we have 512k. envy

Humbertbear Mon 23-Sep-13 08:52:54

I've updated phone and iPad with no problems. It may be a good idea to wait a week or two so that all the bugs are ironed out if you are worried. but eventually you will have to update as all the updates to apps will not work on anything other than ios7. It's no use hankering after what we've lost, just enjoy enjoy the new features.

janthea Mon 23-Sep-13 11:48:10

I'm holding off updating my iPad and iPad Mini until they come up with an update to sort out the bugs. I'm due a new iPhone so won't bother updating my current 4S. Mind you, the time it's taking to get through to O2 for an upgrade is a nightmare. I just get recorded messages 'Please call back. We are experiencing a large number of calls'

Brendawymms Mon 23-Sep-13 12:26:04

Still not getting them to AirPrint. I even did a full restore of my IPAD4 with no success. Did find some comments on Google that indicates others have the same problem.

NfkDumpling Mon 23-Sep-13 13:37:04

Apparently the new iOS is supposed to be so obvious it's self explanatory. Not! New book marks are appearing on a separate bit while the old ones are still on a list and it took me ages to figure out the camera (swipe up/down to change between camera/video/square).

NfkDumpling Mon 23-Sep-13 13:47:03

Humbert I would love to enjoy the new features - what are they?

mrsmopp Sun 29-Sep-13 21:28:54

I didn't realise we had any choice! I though best to update to keep everything, well, erm, up to date!?! But it's gone all funny looking and keeps freezing on me. I am forever switching it off and on again because that's the only way I know how to fix anything except the Hoover.
I really wish I hadn't updated the d'd thing. Oh blinking heck....... :-(

Aka Sun 29-Sep-13 22:29:30

Have declined my invitation to upgrade my iPad. Will stick with current version till bugs are ironed out.

Mamie Mon 07-Oct-13 10:01:57

I updated in the UK and think it is fine. Only problem was with battery draining fast so I have switched off the background updating of apps. I have done the ipad and my iphone. Glad I did it where there was 50mg of broadband and not here though, would have taken about a week to load!

mrsmopp Mon 07-Oct-13 17:06:12

How do you zwitch off background updating? Are there more wys to save battery?
I am running iut of space on.my ipad mainly due to photos. Wondering if there are ways to sort that without deleting my pics
Lots to learn here &learning curve is very steep.
!!

Mamie Mon 07-Oct-13 17:10:47

Settings, general, background app updating. I have never got my head round it, but could the pics be uploaded to icloud?
I would use a lot less battery if I stopped playing Candy Crush! Two months on Level 350 angry