Gransnet forums

Technology

If you had no internet...

(31 Posts)
grannyactivist Sat 01-Oct-16 13:53:41

.....what would you miss most?
We've had internet problems for a few days so I couldn't get online. Fortunately I've been very busy with work so it wasn't too much of a disaster, but I realised how dependent I've become. In addition to the obvious: email, Gransnet, FB, news, iPlayer catch up etc. I book travel, check maps, make purchases, read my local newspaper, book GP/health centre visits and do my banking - all online. It was only three days or so, but I really have felt cut-off.

The Wonderful Man has finally tracked down and fixed the problem so I have just booked a trip to NZ to visit our granddaughter on her 2nd birthday!! Yippee!

Now to see what's been going on in the world whilst I've been away from my source of knowledge. smile

ninathenana Sat 01-Oct-16 13:58:00

All of the above smile

Maggiemaybe Sat 01-Oct-16 14:10:01

Yep, all the above. Plus Mumsnet, entering competitions, constant googling to check whether famous people are still alive, cashback sites, Tripadvisor, researching holiday destinations, checking what's on locally, journey planning, comparing prices....

On the other hand, I'd have a lot of time to do other stuff (a bit of housework wouldn't come amiss grin).

Maggiemaybe Sat 01-Oct-16 14:12:19

Oh, and congrats on the forthcoming trip - how exciting!! wine

hildajenniJ Sat 01-Oct-16 14:23:49

I'd be lost! I keep in touch with family and friends. Research recipes, shop, look for crochet patterns. I think that the only thing I don't do is banking.

grannyactivist Sat 01-Oct-16 14:33:46

I have to say that it's really got me thinking about the number of elderly/disabled folk who don't get out much and don't have internet access and what a difference it could make to their lives. I think iPads/laptops and internet connections should maybe be available on the NHS to such people. smile

Marmight Sat 01-Oct-16 14:40:29

I'd be completely b******d shock I rely on the iPad/laptop/iPhone for just about everything. Living on my own, far from my children it is my lifeline to them and also to every other part of my daily life. However, like everything else, if I had to, I am sure I could in time revert to the old fashioned method of telephone/dictionary/photo album/cheque book/travel brochure etc..... but it would certainly make life difficult.

glammanana Sat 01-Oct-16 14:54:14

It would be devastating not to have access and be able to keep in touch with everything on a regular basis as I found when I first broke my shoulder and was not able to use the internet I felt as though my right arm had been cut off,even though I was still able to go to work and see people I still felt cut off from my daily contact with everyone I know on line and all the services that I use.

Luckygirl Sat 01-Oct-16 15:05:50

I missed being able to sort out our finances and ordering food online, when our internet was not connected for several weeks after moving house.

I also found that during that time I had far fewer migraines and generally moved about more and felt healthier.

DaphneBroon Sat 01-Oct-16 15:45:41

You would be out there doing something worthy and useful and possibly healthy and not fattening instead of sitting with a cup of coffee and the iPad ???

Jalima Sat 01-Oct-16 16:42:32

All of the above

And I wouldn't have such a huge wool stash

My sisterIL hasn't got a computer and spends most of her life tending her garden. A much healthier activity smile

rosesarered Sat 01-Oct-16 17:17:44

hmm, well, all the other things I do I guess, reading, crosswords, gardening, walking, meeting friends, but more of it!
Grannyactivist I hope your DH never finds out about your Wonderful Man.grin

rosesarered Sat 01-Oct-16 17:20:04

sorry, didn't really answer fully.I would miss my email most of all, as I chat daily to friends on it.Also for looking up product info and buying online.Also Simon's Cat!

tanith Sat 01-Oct-16 17:22:52

My daughter is in Snowden and has just realised there is no signal where she is I can't imagine how she'll survive.wink They are climbing Snowden tomorrow I'm sure she'll be eager to get home grin

Jalima Sat 01-Oct-16 17:30:03

No Pokemon up there then tanith!

Greyduster Sat 01-Oct-16 17:30:21

iPad is the first thing I reach for in the morning, and then my coffee. I would like to think that I could survive without access to the Internet, but even though I don't do online banking, Facebook or social media generally, I rely on it for so much else. It has it all in its grasp eventually. I have a friend who used to make the sign of the evil eye every time anyone suggested she learned to use her late husband's tablet. "I don't want anything to do with the internet" was her constant refrain. Last week she was telling me she has just ordered a new fridge freezer - "I ordered it online at a really good price and do you know, they delivered it the next day!" I don't think she's found Gransnet yet though! Cue secret smile....

Tizliz Sat 01-Oct-16 18:22:03

Please don't give iPads etc to lonely old people - I just know my fil would ring me every day with problems. Spend enough time sorting out OH (how can someone program a CNC but can't access messages on Facebook).

The only thing I couldn't manage without is banking as I have an internet only account. Amazon would be difficult to manage without but think of the money I would save

Ana Sat 01-Oct-16 18:32:59

Oh dear, I feel sorry for your FIL, Tizliz, hope he doesn't realise what a pain he is to you...

I would miss all the things others have said except for internet banking - that's a step too far for me and I'm happy for it to remain that way!

Wobblybits Sat 01-Oct-16 19:11:07

This question is like asking "can those at the back hear me ?". If they can't, they would not have heard the question

if I did not have internet, I wouldn't have seen this post

Tizliz Sat 01-Oct-16 20:00:24

ana you misunderstood me, IF my fil had a computer. It is my OH that irritates me but he is currently cleaning my rifle so he is forgiven.

My fil never irritates me, he is 94 so allowed to do what he wants

Ana Sat 01-Oct-16 20:38:41

I still feel sorry for him.

Tizliz Sat 01-Oct-16 21:04:12

???

Ana Sat 01-Oct-16 21:07:36

confused

Ana Sat 01-Oct-16 21:08:00

Can't read blank oblongs.

Jalima Sat 01-Oct-16 21:24:18

Wb grin

Blank oblongs? I haven't even got those!