Gransnet forums

Technology

Amazon Fire Stick

(32 Posts)
merlotgran Sun 06-Nov-16 15:23:12

DD thinks we should get one because DH is constantly moaning about the lack of decent programmes to watch. We just have Freeview at the moment.

We have a fast broadband connection so that won't be a problem.

Anyone else got one of these and is it worth having?

LuckyDucky Sat 12-Nov-16 17:23:50

The Amazon fire stick is worth it. It will be QED

nanaGill Mon 14-Nov-16 15:31:55

I have a Kobo stick - similar to Chromecast and Fire, but without any of the extra costs. I bought it for about £35 a couple of years ago (might be cheaper now?) It is brilliant for catchup services. There are other free channels as well, but I haven't felt the need. Could add Now or Amazon, but there is plenty to watch without.

merlotgran Mon 14-Nov-16 16:03:58

I've enjoyed being able to watch films I would never have otherwise seen as DH has always hated going to the cinema.

So far I've seen The Painted Veil and Grace of Monaco. They were both free with Amazon Prime.

Many more await for a rainy day.

mrsjones Mon 14-Nov-16 18:14:18

I also love it for my music and have recently discovered that I can view my photos on the big screen - magic! As you can tell I'm not tech savvy.

Granarchist Mon 14-Nov-16 18:18:34

just got my firestick and one free month on Netflix about to watch The Crown - v excited. My 'smart' TV needed a dongle to connect to wifi/internet so I got a firestick for the same price. All my photos now stored on cloud and will do same for music - I'll be interested to see what the quality of TV speakers is like.

mcem Mon 14-Nov-16 19:05:33

Like the idea for 2nd tv but the fact that Clarkson advertises it puts me right off!