Gransnet forums

Technology

Has anyone a view on buying an iPhone 6 or 7?

(30 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Mon 07-May-18 17:12:21

I have an iPad and a Mac so thinking of buying an iPhone to replace my very basic Dora. My daughter says the 6 is best and more robust. She says that my grandson has had trouble with his 7 but he has history of bad luck with his Mac and phones. She is also recommending getting a contract which I do not want and looking at them they are usually only 32 gbs. I want 128 gbs as I want to take more photos and I already have a great deal plus music etc. I have used thirty gbs up on my iPad so do not want to be operating on a knife edge. I also pay extra for storage. Can you advice on the way I should go? Would be grateful.

mostlyharmless Mon 07-May-18 17:27:20

I don’t know much about recent iPhones, but if you want extra storage for photos, you upload them to iCloud. The iPhone (or iPad) can be easily set up to automatically transfer them to iCloud. You can pay a little extra to increase the capacity of your iCloud.

Alternatively, Samsung phones (and probably other Android phones too) have a slot for an SD card. SD cards of high capacity are fairly cheap. (£15 for 64gb on Amazon). Your photos and music can be automatically stored on the SD card rather than in the phone.

Craicon Mon 07-May-18 17:35:00

If you want to take photos then I think the iPhone 7 Plus is worth the extra cost. I use it far more often than my DSLR, and I even used my phone for my holiday pics leaving the DSLR at home as I was worried about getting mugged (!).
It has a 12MP dual camera lens on the back with an optical zoom, auto focus etc. It also takes great HD video and you can do amazing panoramic pictures on it really easily. Like other Apple products, you can back everything up on the iCloud so you don’t necessarily need a huge amount of storage. I’ve got a 32gb phone and there’s plenty of space.

Lovetopaint037 Mon 07-May-18 18:15:33

Thank you both. Can you tell me how you actually send all these photos to the iCloud and then retrieve them. I have used up my iCloud allowance of 5gbs and pay for extra but this is just for back up as I keep all my photos, music etc on my device. As said I have already used around 30 gbts on my iPad and I really want to transfer from one to another. The suggestion for the 7+ has occurred to me but wonder if the size is a problem when carrying around. Also, the price would probably inhibit me from buying the 128 gbts. However, I have a 9x7 ipadpro which had the best camera at the time. It is lovely so perhaps the 7+ wold be more comparable. It is a dilemma, I really would just like to take photos and send them to my iPad/MacBook.

Craicon Mon 07-May-18 18:46:40

I also use this device to transfer my photos from the iPhone and then upload them to my MacBook (and also back up onto a portable 1TB Hard Disk Drive) as I’m paranoid about losing valuable data/photos.
You just plug it into the charging port on your iPhone, download the App then once you’ve downloaded the pics, use the USB part to connect to a computer.
You might find that like me, a lot of the Apps I use on my iPad are superfluous on my phone so I end up deleting them.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LW1I9J2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?psc=1&tag=gransnetforum-21&ie=UTF8

mostlyharmless Mon 07-May-18 19:09:33

Click on the photo, click on the upload arrow at the top, select iCloud photo sharing, choose an existing album or create a new album, click on “post”.
And by magic it should arrive on your iPad, MacBook etc under photos.
(Well that’s the theory! I’ve just tested that on iPad to MacBook and it seemed to work but I haven’t got an iPhone).
You can also set your iPhone up to automatically store photos in iCloud.
Craicon’s suggestion sounds good though as it feels safer perhaps? Less “magic” involved!

hildajenniJ Mon 07-May-18 19:52:41

My son bought a Samsung phone just for the camera. He doesn't have a contract. He says you have more options with an android smartphone, you are tied to Apple with an iPhone.

Greyduster Mon 07-May-18 20:38:21

I have an iPhone SE and to be honest, though I like the phone, the camera has been something of a disappointment. DH has an iPhone 7 and the camera is better.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 08-May-18 07:40:08

Thank you everyone. Craicon Thank you for the link. That sounds really useful. It reminded me that I bought a memory stick from Apple when I bought my Mac. Someone in the store showed me how to download photos onto it to keep as a back up. Would I be able to use that?
As you no doubt have gathered I am older than you but trying really hard.

Craicon Tue 08-May-18 08:04:32

Re: the memory stick. It depends on the connector. I’m guessing it’s a USB connector to plug into the Mac. If so, it won’t fit directly to the iPhone. The device I linked (there are others) has a lightening connector (skinny tip) that connects to the phone. The iPhone doesn’t have a USB socket.

To clarify, only the 7 plus has the dual camera lens on the back, the 7 and 6, 6 plus etc. only have a single camera lens on the back. (All of them have a front camera). Obviously, the plus is a bigger phone but it’s thin and I find it easier to find in my bag. I moved up from an earlier iPhone and was concerned if the size would be a problem but I like the fact the screen is bigger and so is the keypad. Means I can squint at it and quickly read texts etc. without putting my reading glasses on. blush

Lovetopaint037 Tue 08-May-18 08:29:21

Craicon, thank you so much. That has clarified things a lot.
Yes, I would definitely need a lightning connector. Your link is really useful. Regarding the size of the 7+ I can imagine it is easier to find in your bag. The clarity of the larger screen is real issue as you get older so I am thinking can I afford the plus...I have been saving up so now is the time for a count up! By the way, if you watch Corrie, have you noticed they are are all using the bigger phones? Thank you again.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 08-May-18 08:30:48

Ps. How long do you expect an iPhone to last?

Craicon Tue 08-May-18 08:41:56

Sorry, I gave up on Corrie a few years ago as it was turning into Eastenders with the daft storylines. grin
My iPhone 4s is still going strong and I bought it in 2012. DH has it now. (He’s not into technology and relies on me.)
The biggest draw for me with apple products is the fact that they don’t get hacked on a regular basis unlike the equivalent Android and Microsoft products. The second best thing is how easy it is to transfer information between my iPad, iPhone and MacBook.
If you’re interested, I noticed that ALDI had an offer on the Canon printer that I’ve got. I can print photos, docs etc. directly from my phone or iPad using the supplied software although most modern printers will do this via AirPrint. I used to have to copy stuff to the Mac and print from there but now it’s super easy.

Humbertbear Tue 08-May-18 09:10:01

My iPhone 6 was very robust and reliable. After 2 years service I have passed it to my husband who is very happy with it. You will have trouble finding an iphone 7 as they are no longer made. I bought an iPhone 8 with the bigger screen and am delighted with it.
If you have an iPhone and an iPad then everything can be synced across. For example, I no longer carry my iPad if I want to read my current book on the tube. I read it on my iPhone.

Missfoodlove Tue 08-May-18 10:13:15

Rather than use iCloud for photos download Shoebox. It’s free. Every photo taken or sent is downloaded to Shoebox without taking up memory.
To retrieve simply open the app and tap on a picture and options will appear to delete, add to phone etc.

ExaltedWombat Tue 08-May-18 10:23:06

There are phones other than Apple ones. And they're often better value and easier to mould to YOUR requirements.

moleswife Tue 08-May-18 10:23:53

Why not spend £1 to join Which to get their reviews on phones? They are very fair and offer pros and cons and their opinions, based on rigorous testing, on best buys.

coast35 Tue 08-May-18 10:38:50

I have bought my iPhone 6 Plus from Amazon. It was refurbished. The first one that arrived had a wee mark on it and it did everything except make phone calls! I contacted the company concerned and they asked me to return it which I did then they repaid me immediately. They didn’t have another in stock. So I took a deep breath and ordered another one from someone else. It arrived promptly with not a mark on it and working perfectly. I think it cost about £300. Half what a new one would be. I then took out a monthly contract with Tesco for under £10 a month. I have unlimited calls and texts and 3gb of data for that.

GabriellaG Tue 08-May-18 10:45:18

Last Sept, I bought a new Samsung Galaxy S7 edge on eBay for £300 with a 2 year warranty. Great features and cameras. Plenty of storage and long lasting battery.
I have a SIM from TPO on a montbly rolling contract of £3.99 with 1000 mins, 5000 texts and 2GB data. I don't need more as I only use the internet on it at home where BB contract is unlimited.
We each have different needs so you'll get a lot of conflicting views as to which is a best buy.
Samsung have a UK customer service centre and are truly helpful (as I found when setting up my phone)
Good luck.

123coco Tue 08-May-18 11:10:39

The SEcus sooo much cheaper and there is a new model coming out very soon. I think it’s a no brainier for price and if you don’t want to be carrying a phablet around with you. I keep a lot of photos in notes because that is in the cloud.

moobox Tue 08-May-18 11:19:06

I have had a 6s for 2 years and plan to keep it on a SIM only contract now. I have a collection of all the apps and devices going to transfer photos, but TBH if the Mac has airdrop then you can send them by just sitting next to there computer if your phone is Apple.

Katekeeprunning Tue 08-May-18 11:22:43

I have had an iPhone 6, 7 and now 8 and the camera on the 8 is amazing, especially the portrait mode

counterpoint Tue 08-May-18 11:42:04

Contracts are mostly a bad idea. If you have problems with the service you are locked in, usually for two years. Apple contracts often provide more services than most people need. Buy the phone you want and a SIM only service. Giffgaff is popular and cheap, but you can change at a month’s notice with no penalty. Other networks also have low cost SIM only services. If you use the phone for more than two years, you will automatically save extra money. Even if you borrow to buy the phone, it will usually work out cheaper.

Granny1sland Tue 08-May-18 11:55:55

Hi, I love my iPhone 7, I have the big memory one. But if you can connect up to Photostream on both your iphone and iPad, any photos you take on your phone will automatically copy to your iPad, and prob Mac (although I don’t have a Mac so can’t be sure) as long as they are both on the same WiFi at the time. You don’t have to do anything.

Saggi Tue 08-May-18 13:18:46

I have an I-phone 6 and they really are the best. Dropped it Soooo many times and it keeps on bouncing. It’s only got 16 gbs though and that’s becoming annoying especially as my grandkids are downloading new games all the time! My next will have at least 68gbs. No point in anything less !