Gransnet forums

Technology

Facebook

(27 Posts)
MayBee70 Mon 04-Oct-21 18:08:32

Is anyone else not able to access Facebook today?

Dottygran59 Mon 04-Oct-21 18:11:59

Oh I thought it was me!! Been on it earlier but can't seem to get on now

Cherrytree59 Mon 04-Oct-21 18:14:33

Yes me, just this minute.
Used it about 1 hour ago without any trouble.

MayBee70 Mon 04-Oct-21 18:14:38

Thanks for that. My internet connection crashes on a regular basis and I thought it was just that although everything else seemed to be working. It’s my main means of communication at the moment and I’m lost without it, although messenger seems to be working. I thought I’d accidentally logged myself out in some way!

BlueBelle Mon 04-Oct-21 18:14:42

It’s been down worldwide since 4.30

BlueBelle Mon 04-Oct-21 18:15:30

It’s been reported in the news it’s not you Maybee

aggie Mon 04-Oct-21 18:15:52

WhatsApp is down too

aggie Mon 04-Oct-21 18:16:35

And Instagram

GagaJo Mon 04-Oct-21 18:24:30

Maybe everyone should migrate over to snapchat or GETTR (when hell freezes over!).

Septimia Mon 04-Oct-21 18:27:49

Or maybe just pick up the phone and speak to people? (Ducks behind sofa)

BlueBelle Mon 04-Oct-21 18:34:23

I enjoy Fb and had a lovely meal out today and gave them a very good review on fb but obviously no one will see it today
?

MayBee70 Mon 04-Oct-21 18:34:36

If you speak on Facebook people can reply in their own time. If you phone people (eg my daughter who is currently rearranging her house to isolate her son who has covid) it isn’t always convenient for them to speak to you.

JaneJudge Mon 04-Oct-21 18:36:12

I like looking at people's photos. I have moved around a lot and don't live by family so it is nice 'seeing' them.

It is down for me too

BlueBelle Mon 04-Oct-21 19:23:55

It’s down for everyone JJ and WhatsApp and Instagram

Ohmother Mon 04-Oct-21 20:17:06

There’s been an international outage and the three need to be repaired apparently.

kircubbin2000 Mon 04-Oct-21 21:48:39

I like Facebook. I discovered a new cousin yesterday and messaged his wife. He doesn't seem to use Facebook so I still need a lot more info as I didnt know his relationship and I want to fill in a family tree.I feel a bit intrusive asking his wife for names and she has not offered/may not know.Should I ask again?

Chestnut Mon 04-Oct-21 23:21:28

You'll all be upset to know that Mark Zuckerberg has lost $7bn this evening.

seacliff Mon 04-Oct-21 23:27:57

Kircubbin. I wouldn't want to give that personal info on FB, why not message her privately and ask her their help. Explain who you are, and possibly give a phone number.

Shelflife Mon 04-Oct-21 23:32:55

I am really missing
What's app. Was good to hear on the news about it though , I wondered if it was something I had done. Hope all is restored quickly.

Chestnut Mon 04-Oct-21 23:50:34

kircubbin2000

I like Facebook. I discovered a new cousin yesterday and messaged his wife. He doesn't seem to use Facebook so I still need a lot more info as I didnt know his relationship and I want to fill in a family tree.I feel a bit intrusive asking his wife for names and she has not offered/may not know.Should I ask again?

Not very wise to start asking outright about family names especially living people. I do a lot of family history research but never give out anything on living people any more. You may find someone has posted them on their public tree without permission, where it is possible to see how many children a couple had, whether boys or girls and that gives a lot of clues even if their names are not shown.
I think you should send your e-mail address privately and ask whether they would like to exchange information about the family. By corresponding you may build up a friendly relationship and be in a better position to find out what you want to know. But don't rush it or you will scare them off.

Blossoming Tue 05-Oct-21 00:43:29

It’s back.

MayBee70 Tue 05-Oct-21 01:09:55

Hurrah!

Lizzie72 Tue 05-Oct-21 01:21:01

Elegran Tue 05-Oct-21 07:39:40

Why depending on a central control and information system is not a good thing. A very interesting news article on the outage.

www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/oct/05/facebook-outage-what-went-wrong-and-why-did-it-take-so-long-to-fix

Teacheranne Tue 05-Oct-21 09:28:15

I didn’t even notice it was down, I was busy preparing for decorators starting work today and doing some baking but I’m sure I was still getting WhatsApp pings! Obviously I was wrong and just too busy to notice! By the time I sat down after tea, things seemed back to normal.

I would miss WhatsApp more than FB as since the pandemic began, most of my social groups and family now regularly use it to communicate with each other, I much prefer it to texts for some reason.