Gransnet forums

Technology

Driving License for DH not arrived.

(48 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Wed 13-Oct-21 11:25:15

Not sure if this is right place to post but I filled my Dh’s driving renewal license application on line as I have done before and it has been sent within a week. However, I did this for him on the 6th September and it has not arrived. So now over 6 weeks since sending the application.tracked it with the reference number and it keeps coming up as “in progress”.
As other members of the family have been getting their licenses, including my grandson’s license sent by post, in a matter of days I am getting worried. I tried ringing them but they are asking that I try again later and the live chat is also not available. As there have been no changes on his application and should be straight forward I have a horrible feeling that it has got lost in their system. Has anyone else had trouble of late and any advise as to how to actually contact them.

Elizabeth27 Wed 13-Oct-21 11:57:37

Could you try doing the application again.

Callistemon Wed 13-Oct-21 12:01:59

If you go on the website you are able to put in a complaint, LovetoPaint

I sent mine by post, several weeks later the renewed one had not arrived, so I complained online and it arrived about 3 days later.

Callistemon Wed 13-Oct-21 12:03:01

contact.dvla.gov.uk/complaints

Lovetopaint037 Wed 13-Oct-21 12:04:57

I wondered about thatElizabeth and then thought it might lead to confusion?However, I think it might at least draw some notice to it if it comes up as already applied for. Thank you.

B9exchange Wed 13-Oct-21 12:05:38

DH has been waiting since mid-June for his! Thank you for the link, will try it.

Zaseret Wed 13-Oct-21 12:19:11

We had the same issue. They not only have backlogs due to Covid but are striking/ working to rule hence you can’t speak to anyone even digitally via live chat. Apparently those sent in by post are particularly behind (I believe they are processing June applications). Allegedly applications made online are much quicker but ours took about 9 weeks ie early August and received not long ago. The problem is known and you are therefore allowed to drive without your licence if it’s in the system. We were planning to go abroad and hire a car at the beginning of November (idea now abandoned anyway!) so were very concerned.

Lovetopaint - it seems, like ours, it is in the system and I wouldn’t worry for a few weeks yet. That said, it is really not good enough and I was close to writing to my MP about it.

Chardy Wed 13-Oct-21 12:23:00

Try going to your local post office (any post office) - they are very on-the-ball with driving licences.
I did mine there, they gave me a ref no and said if I was stopped to quote that number.

Callistemon Wed 13-Oct-21 12:24:08

Well, it worked for me ?

MayBee70 Wed 13-Oct-21 12:28:06

My driving licence expires in December. Will they contact me or do I have to sort it out. I also don’t have a photo licence so I need to get a photo done.

J52 Wed 13-Oct-21 12:43:26

MayBee70 You can apply for the new licence up to 3 months in advance. As far as I know they don’t contact you with a reminder.
I did mine, in advance on line and used my passport photo, again on line. The new licence arrived in a week and was usable immediately.
The old one is cut up and returned.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 13-Oct-21 13:07:04

Callistemon

*Callistemon” Thank you. When I saw your post I used your link straight away. Even that said it will take longer to reply!

Carenza123 Wed 13-Oct-21 13:12:31

My husband’s driving licence ran out in August this year. He has only just received it, end of September. This has made it difficult as our insurance company need his licence details for our car insurance. When trying to contact DVLA we were given a reference number on line to plot its progress. Wasn’t much help - we just waited and it came in the post but has taken so long.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 13-Oct-21 13:15:28

Thank you Zaseret. That has calmed me down. I used the link to complain as I felt so frustrated. Nine weeks - goodness me. as said two family members got theirs in record time in the last few weeks. That is why I was getting stressed. Also online the DVLA were saying to get in touch with them if an online application had been sent after two weeks
Thank goodness for all the nice people on Gransnet.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 13-Oct-21 13:26:25

Had NOT been sent of course.

ElaineI Wed 13-Oct-21 13:32:51

Can I ask is this for when you are 70? I had to renew my photo licence (was unaware you had to do this every 10 years) and did it online. Came within a week with UK flag not EU but is for 5 years and I will be 70 then.
I understand that if you apply online and get an email back acknowledging then you can still drive. If you use the post only then technically you cannot drive till it arrives.

bikergran Wed 13-Oct-21 13:41:42

Applied for my dad at end of July "Still waiting"!! unable to get through on phone.

He has to renew every 12 mnths, never had a problem before.

I know some of my dd friends have had to contact their MP as frustration was setting in.

Also my friend (70) sent hers off for renewal never to be seen again (they have lost it)!! it was recorded as having been delivered to DVLA it is now in cyber space floating around. Talk about Data Protection!!

Lovetopaint037 Wed 13-Oct-21 21:55:32

How awful bikergran that is what we dreaded a licence going astray. That is a long wait for your dad’s online application. It is ridiculous when they are straight forward renewals done on line.

LucyLocket55 Wed 13-Oct-21 22:03:36

My sister (aged 50) has MS so needs to renew her licence with a doctors letter confirming she is fit to drive, she has been waiting for over a year and now does not have a licence so cannot drive. She had been driving under the Section 88 which gave her a year’s grace while the licence was being renewed but the 12 months has lapsed. She has reapplied and contacted the MP but still nothing.

25Avalon Wed 13-Oct-21 22:03:45

Gosh sounds like dh was lucky. He applied online towards the end of August to renew his over 70 photo licence and to my surprise it was back within a week. He did have an email acknowledgement. His was extended one year due to Covid so maybe that put him to the front of the queue.

Chardy Wed 13-Oct-21 22:21:20

MayBee70

My driving licence expires in December. Will they contact me or do I have to sort it out. I also don’t have a photo licence so I need to get a photo done.

Go to Post Office. They do everything and because it's digital, it's back within the week.
They did mine in early summer this year.

Callistemon Wed 13-Oct-21 22:21:57

Lovetopaint037

Callistemon

*Callistemon” Thank you. When I saw your post I used your link straight away. Even that said it will take longer to reply!

? someone will take some notice and it will arrive soon.

Charleygirl5 Wed 13-Oct-21 22:35:42

3 years ago I renewed mine online and it arrived within a week but this year the DVLA wanted new photos so I sent everything off on the 31st of August by registered mail. I was able to track it had arrived so I could drive. Not exactly 1st class service.

Maybee I was contacted I think in July and I filled the form in etc. The sooner you do it the better or you may end up in the same position as many of us.

Charleygirl5 Wed 13-Oct-21 22:51:37

Callistemon thanks for that- they will be inundated with emails from us lot now!

Callistemon Thu 14-Oct-21 15:46:52

Hope they have the desired effect, Charleygirl!