Gransnet forums

Travel

Reserved train seats

(26 Posts)
flakesofjam Sat 27-Feb-16 20:16:37

How brave are people about asking someone to move out of what is clearly your reserved train seat ? I travel to Birmingham fairly often lately and Cross Country always give a seat number on my ticket. What's the etiquette
on this ? I'm such a chicken !

Luckygirl Sat 27-Feb-16 20:23:15

Chuck 'em out!

Grannyknot Sat 27-Feb-16 20:24:42

I travel on trains a lot, and I just say "Excuse me, but I think you're in my seat" accompanied by the sweetest smile I can muster.

Welcome to GN, BTW if you're new. smile

flakesofjam Sat 27-Feb-16 20:29:29

Thanks ladies ! I'm travelling tomorrow & will follow the advice.
Sometimes I just plonk myself down in the first space I see but then of course, my worry is that I am about to be ousted by the person who's seat I'm in ! I am basically a BIG CHICKEN !
I'll let you know how it goes !

PS Yes, I'm new to GN , thanks for the welcome

Alea Sat 27-Feb-16 20:53:26

I do like grannyknot - it should say overhead which seats are reserved and which are available. If there is an alternative which is just as good (sometimes better!) I would magnanimously offer to take that instead!!
However if I Am travelling with DH who gets Mobility Assistance I am implacable as the buggy will be waiting at our bit of the train and DH is not able to shuffle along looking for another seat.
Of course if it is somebody's briefcase which is occupying "my sear" I have been know to smile sweetly and ask if they have reserved that seat for their luggage. If looks could kill!!

Elrel Sat 27-Feb-16 20:57:09

Because a lot of people reserve seats then don't use them it's quite common for other passengers to sit in them if there is no 'Available' seat nearby. This especially happens near the time for the train to leave. Should the person who has reserved the seat arrive I've heard many good humoured requests on the lines mentioned by Grannyknot receive an equally good humoured response as the 'interloper' moves elsewhere. Don't worry too much about it, it may never happen! Enjoy your trips to beautiful Brum!!

annsixty Sat 27-Feb-16 21:30:40

I use trains and always ask the usurper to move. I would call for the train manager if they won't. I have never had a problem but am firm and show my reservation. Good luck.

annodomini Sat 27-Feb-16 21:33:54

You don't have to be brave; you just have to be right. Nobody has ever objected to moving out of a seat I have reserved.

obieone Sat 27-Feb-16 21:51:11

Myself and another passenger have both been right, that confused us! Then we realised his ticket was for the next train.

Leticia Sat 27-Feb-16 22:09:31

I don't think you need to be brave. I just say 'excuse me but I have booked that seat' and have never had a problem.

Grannyknot Sat 27-Feb-16 22:15:24

I overheard a good put down for the "bag on seat" problem last week on a train:

Man to woman: "Could you move your bag, please?"

She grudgingly moves it (I could see her) so he challenges her, politely asking "Why the look?"

Woman: "Because there are other empty seats".

Man sits down and says "That's because people know not to put bags on them". grin

Badenkate Sun 28-Feb-16 08:59:15

Our local train - run by ArrivaWales, nuffsaid - can go from Crewe to Pembrokeshire stopping at all stations in between! We travel on the first small section and very often all the seats have reserved tickets on them. But usually if you look they are reserved from points further down the line, so no problem sitting in them.

NanaandGrampy Sun 28-Feb-16 09:12:30

I used to travel extensively between London and Manchester and always reserved my seat.

People generally moved when asked and the only real trouble I had was when one train was cancelled and they put those people on our train and we all had reserved seats( or that's how it seemed) and the train manager came over the tannoy and stated all reservations were cancelled it was everyman for himself !

I headed straight into First Class and wasn't challenged at all. smile

Humbertbear Sun 28-Feb-16 09:27:16

I always ask people to move. Many years ago as a young mum travelling with a toddler and a baby I asked a business to move. He laughed at me so I offered him the baby and asked him to look after the children while I went to find vacant seats. Friends, he moved.

Pittcity Sun 28-Feb-16 09:36:53

Virgin East Coast offer compensation if your reserved seat isn't available. I wonder if others do too.

trisher Sun 28-Feb-16 09:55:26

I always ask people to move. Unless that is I look around and all the other seats in the train are empty whilst all the seats at the table where I should be sitting are booked and full.(it has happened) In which case I take a whole table up further along.

Teetime Sun 28-Feb-16 10:24:21

I always politely show my ticket and say excuse me but that's my pre booked seat - its always been Ok.

M0nica Mon 29-Feb-16 10:50:54

The only time I haven't had the nerve to move someone on was when I sent my 2DC on their first train journey alone. It was quite a long journey but required no train changes. I booked two window seats where they had a table between them for game playing and picnic eating.

When the train came in a very elderly and frail lady was sat in one of their seats and the reservation docket had been moved to the seat beside it. Had it been a fit and healthy person I would have politely asked them to move and pointed out the seat number printed on the moved docket but because the lady was old and frail I didn't feel I could. It was a crowded train and she clearly couldn't stand.

I knew I was the victim of emotional blackmail and that the person who saw the lady onto the train, settled her into the seat and moved the reservation docket, knew that whoever had booked the seat, wouldn't want to be seen evicting her in their favour. They couldn't know that, by good fortune (their good fortune) the seat had been booked for a big healthy teenager. DC had to sit diagonally across from each other, which made games playing and even sharing a picnic difficult. The elderly lady, like them, was on the train to the end of the line.

It still rankles

nannymoocow Mon 29-Feb-16 16:53:47

I usually travel at off peak times, so I don't book a specific seat. I think it is more trouble finding your reserved seat than just sitting in first available one!

Caramac Mon 29-Feb-16 18:33:56

My most recent journeys were somewhat marred by people refusing to move from the seat I had reserved and several of us being shouted at by a guard who treated many passengers like cattle. I now choose to drive the 250 miles and sing along to my cd's.

M0nica Tue 01-Mar-16 10:43:02

nannymoocow you are fortunate to be able to get seats on a train in off peak times. Our trains are standing room only any time of the day.

We went up to London last Sunday, a 45 minute journey on an intercity train and stood for the whole journey both ways.

minimo Thu 03-Mar-16 15:31:35

I've recently had to stand for an hour or so when I'd booked a seat. The train was packed though so you do feel bad making a fuss when there are loads of other people in same position. Also, I couldn't actually get near my seat in order to speak to those in it.

I was once on a train where a couple were sent off for smoking weed on board. That was an...aromatic...journey. Don't know how they thought no one would notice confused

nannymoocow Thu 03-Mar-16 21:39:28

Monica - that certainly doesn't sound very enjoyable! I feel lucky to live in an area with a good train service, I will appreciate my seat even more now!

flakesofjam Fri 04-Mar-16 08:54:04

I'm back from Brum and the good news is that my seat was empty both ways, so no polite requests to move were required.
nannymoocow , my bookings on Cross Country trains always come with a seat number even though I don't request a reservation. Otherwise, I'd be happy to sit in the first empty seat.
Caramac , I don't drive. I learned eight years ago in my late fifties & passed first time but having tried a few outings alone, I found I'd learned the method but not the confidence to put it into action ! I persevered but in the end I realised I was happier to accept that it wasn't for me,
Anyway, lovely visit to DD and gorgeous GS

Lizkat Sat 14-May-16 21:34:13

I've just got off the Leeds virgin train.Nearly every seat was taken in the reserved seat coach I was in,but waiting to get off the train I could see the next coach was virtually empty.They seem to work from one end only putting on the reserved tickets.Shan't bother next time