Gransnet forums

Travel

Holidays 2016

(103 Posts)
grannyactivist Sun 27-Mar-16 15:41:07

Where are you going?

Tomorrow we're off to Minehead with two grandsons aged 3 and 6, staying at Butlins where there is a big Christian themed event called Spring Harvest.

In May we're off to Norway to enjoy the Independence Day celebrations with some dear friends. The Wonderful Man is staying on for a couple of weeks after I leave to do a cycle tour. (I declined to join him. tbugrin)

In August we celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and are deciding whether to go to Greece or maybe to somewhere different this year - Croatia, or possibly Austria where we spent our honeymoon.

I only had two holidays as a child (neither was with my own family) and so I have never learned to take them for granted, I still always feel hugely excited and privileged to be going away.

Badenkate Sun 27-Mar-16 15:58:50

I think we've finally accepted that we're retired and can go off when we like so we're off in a couple of weeks renting a cottage in the Forest of Dean (where I grew up) and taking the dogs, then in May we're going to Sicily for a week. August is time share week at Loch Rannoch, and in September we may amble down through France and Spain to Marbella where DH's brother has a flat. Finally end of October is Loch Rannoch again. Can't wait tbusmiletbusmilesunshine

ninathenana Sun 27-Mar-16 16:13:46

Weekend away in May at a Warner hotel and a weekend in Eastbourne at the beginning of September.
This may get added to

NfkDumpling Sun 27-Mar-16 16:24:51

We're planning a couple of jaunts with the caravan to Cheddar and York and probably one or two short breaks nearer home (Norfolk), but we've just booked a Big Holiday! Bhutan and Northern India. In November. I'm very excited (which I never dared to be before I was an orphan)! I just hope we stay fit enough to go!

Grannyknot Sun 27-Mar-16 16:26:31

We're off to Jersey in July on the ferry. Taking a holiday and visiting an old uncle smile

Grannyknot Sun 27-Mar-16 16:35:38

grannyactivist I meant to add, I also still get excited at the prospect of a holiday. We had holidays only a few times during my childhood, on those occasions when my mother would declare: "I'm not paying the layby accounts this month, we're going on a holiday"!

We had a wonderful holiday in Dubrovnik a few years ago.

NotTooOld Sun 27-Mar-16 17:05:47

Off for a weekend in the new camper van in April. Only a short trip but it will be our maiden voyage! If we get on alright we'll be doing lots of trips over the summer. I need to get my arthoscopy over and recovered from before making too many plans.

hildajenniJ Sun 27-Mar-16 17:13:15

In May we are going to London to the Chelsea Flower Show. We are only there for three days, but hope to see a show in the West End. I wanted to see Showboat, but unfortunately the night we wanted to go, it isn't on.

Anniebach Sun 27-Mar-16 17:32:11

Wales smile

Maggiemaybe Sun 27-Mar-16 17:50:42

We've only got one big holiday booked - the Mayan trail in Mexico in November, which I have finally persuaded DH to agree to (he's read far too much about Mexican drugs gangs leaving severed heads in water coolers, and hanging rivals from motorway bridges). But we're hoping to go to Lake Como for a week in May or June, and we are getting very good at long weekends away at the last minute - we've been to London, Bath and Cornwall so far this year and are planning to go to Shropshire and Carlisle soon. And at least a couple of trips to see my sister in my old stamping ground near Whitby. And whatever else comes up that we might be able to afford. I love being retired.

JackyB Sun 27-Mar-16 18:12:31

Now that my husband has retired from teaching, we are finally able to enjoy off-season holidays. We plan to go to Andalusia in September but haven't booked yet.

After all those years of going away with small kids, holidays don't really seem special any more to me. It just got tiring, organising everything and trying to remember all the stuff you had to take.

I'm trying to re-learn the art of getting excited about going away. The first step is to make the journey part of the holiday and to try and relax and switch off on the way there. This involves good planning - e.g. so you don't panic and wonder where your passport is, or have conniptions worrying if you switched the iron off.

annsixty Sun 27-Mar-16 18:50:12

Since I have been on GN this thread has come up each year and every year I repeat my mantra, holiday each year as much as you have the time and the finance to do so.
When, like us you can't do it you will so regret it if you turned down the chance. Go , enjoy it, and make the memories for when you can't any more.

Maggiemaybe Sun 27-Mar-16 18:58:10

I always do think of your advice, annsixty, and I intend to follow it. We're not well off by any means, but I'd rather use the money to travel while we can rather than have it sitting in the bank when we're unable to go.

numberplease Sun 27-Mar-16 19:02:53

So far, we`re going on a cruise to the Norwegian fjords in April. Then if funds allow, maybe a few days away in the UK around September.

suzied Sun 27-Mar-16 19:13:34

Italy in a months time, Scotland in May/ June. France in the summer. All of these trips are to visit family.

Teetime Sun 27-Mar-16 19:27:11

Lake Garda for us in May the Pembrokeshire in September

annsixty Sun 27-Mar-16 19:34:24

Out last holiday abroad was
Lake Garda 5 years ago and it is wonderful. We stayed in Limone which to be honest is a bit away from other places in the south of the region.
However the ferries to any other resort are frequent and very scenic so oef is win win. You will love it.

kittylester Sun 27-Mar-16 20:38:08

We have only booked one holiday yet this year and are going to our favourite hotel in Suffolk. It's our place to go for complete rest and relaxation and we try to go at least once a year. We will go away at least once more but are not sure where or when.

Jane10 Sun 27-Mar-16 20:46:17

Madeira again end of May to mid June. Total R&R. Lovely! Trying to think up something exciting for next year to celebrate DH retiring and 40th anniversary. Am enjoying the holiday window shopping.

Margsus Sun 27-Mar-16 21:18:03

A week in Menorca in May with DH, DS1, DiL and the 2 grandchildren. It will be the first time we've all gone on holiday together, and I'm so excited, especially as it was their suggestion! I'm sure that some babysitting will be involved though......
Then DH and I are off on a Mediterranean cruise in June to recover!

lynnie1 Sun 27-Mar-16 21:25:34

We have booked a Med cruise in June also. I am incredibility nervous about it. My husband has wanted to do this for a long time and it's unfair of me to keep putting it off. I will be the one wearing the life jacket at all times ;)

Tegan Sun 27-Mar-16 21:37:10

A week in Northumberland with DD and the boys and then a couple of months later a week with my son,DIL and the granddaughter. I'm so excited about it...I just finished the boy's room today complete with cuddly puffin. We're going to have breakfast on the beach and stargaze at night with eldest grandson's telescope.

petra Sun 27-Mar-16 22:01:12

Taking the Motohome to Spain, don't know for how long. Cape Verde later in the year.

rubysong Sun 27-Mar-16 22:50:58

California to see DS1 & family in June. It will be lovely to see them all in the flesh instead of Skype. Then a rail holiday in August based in the Midlands. Also I have won the WI bursary to go to Denman college, I'm currently browsing craft courses and deciding what to choose.

Coolgran65 Sun 27-Mar-16 23:37:23

Portland oregon in May via San Francisco to visit ds, ddil and our gorgeous dgs 3. Can't wait to see them though we do use Skype.
Only hiccup will be the first 11hour flight to SF as I suffer from very severe restless legs syndrome which affects my arms as well. We book the worst seats at the very back so that I can stand out near the toilets and do leg stretches without being in the way of the dolly trolley.
All worth it for real hugs.