Gransnet forums

Travel

I am thinking of Croatia

(35 Posts)
GrannyMilly Tue 03-Jan-17 19:32:23

My sister and I try to have a holiday together once a year and we are thinking of Croatia or Dubrovnick any suggestions my sis has a little trouble walking so t=need to bare that in mind.

SuzieG Sat 07-Jan-17 15:20:01

Probably best to avoid the period 15th July to 15th August when many Italians go on holiday to Croatia and prices soar and it can get very hot. June and September are good months. Bus and ferries are cheap. Zadar has an airport, an interesting old town and ferries to islands such as Dugi Otok and Uglian, Pula airport can be used to explore Istria, and Split airport is very close to Trogir a Unesco world heritage site. Split ferries take you to the islands of Brac, Hvar, Vis and Korcula (Split bus station is a bit lairy). Many Croatians involved in the hospitality trade speak some Italian, German and English.
We love Croatia but refrain from talking politics.

SuzieG Sat 07-Jan-17 15:30:32

Rovinj has hotel accommodation near a pebbly beach with good tree cover and a good range of restaurants by the shore, but a very steep climb up to the church. If you need health care i Croatia ask for the "ambulent" (walk in clinic), you will have to queue with the Grannies who make sure no one pushes ahead but someone normally speeaks English. I had excellent prompt care in Biograd one year after being bitten by a dog and another year when I dislocated my shoulder.

granma47 Sat 07-Jan-17 15:37:01

We have had 2 very enjoyable holidays in Croatia, the first being close to Dubrovnik and the 2nd last year to Makarska. We use Jet2 holidays and are booked to go again this year to Rovinj. Makarska has lots of walks on the flat promenades with beautiful mountains behind the town and marinas with boats coming and going. Lots of lovely restaurants and market stalls. The sea is clean although you would need shoes to walk on the pebbles and the sunsets are georgeous.

Crystalgrandma Sat 07-Jan-17 16:16:52

We had a wonderful 'Island Hopping' Holiday with Saga (In the land brochure - not cruise brochure.)
Very reasonably priced. Small boat of about 30 people. Planning to go back and do again.

Boolya Sat 07-Jan-17 18:09:21

Although Croatia and indeed Montenegro are beautiful, we found them not easy going for my husband who has mobility issues. He had to "push" himself at times, but having said that, we did enjoy ourselves. The area is hilly and rocky and often we were faced with flights of steps. However, take your time and don't rush!

Jalima Sat 07-Jan-17 22:56:58

The Makarska coastal area is quite flat with promenade walks; it does not have the history of some other places but I am sure trips would be available from there to historic sites and to some of the islands.

Granjan06 Sat 07-Jan-17 23:12:35

We loved Porec so clean and the water was crystal clear and remember the Jet2rep, she was lovely Allidoll

Lewlew Sun 08-Jan-17 10:33:24

All interesting info...thanks!

Caretaker Mon 09-Jan-17 17:39:06

Croatia is famous throughout the world for its plentiful naturist resorts. Since the days of the old Yugoslavia naturism has flourished in this Mediterranean country. With an attractive, although often stony, coast line and fascinating medieval towns and villages, it offers a great welcome to naturists. Flights are available to Pula on most Saturdays and Tuesdays, and this airport serves most of the resorts. Flights to Pula are available from Gatwick, Stansted, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds Bradford and Glasgow. A fascinating train journey across Europe is also possible, spending 3 days or longer each way speeding through wonderful scenery, much of which is mountainous.

We have been 15 times and love it. Very clean and friendly.