Gransnet forums

Travel

Car servicing

(12 Posts)
Teetime Wed 15-Feb-17 12:08:52

I have put my little jalopy in for a service today - she doesn't go far in the normal course of events and has only done 1000 miles in the last year as we use DH's car most of the time and she just goes around town mainly. My question is of other low mileage car users do you bother with an annual service - its going to be £200 with the MOT - is it necessary (the car is four years old)?

Alima Wed 15-Feb-17 12:16:55

My car is 14 this year. It does less than 1000 per year. For several years it ends up with a service only every two or three years. We do nothing apart from put petrol in and windscreen wash. Last MoT it passed with no advisories. It has been a brilliant car, Fiesta.

ninathenana Wed 15-Feb-17 14:44:13

Car
Service ???
Um, er confused

Mine does about the same milage.

Nannylovesshopping Wed 15-Feb-17 15:48:13

I have beloved 12 years old Citroen pluriel, do about 1000 miles annually, and service only every two years, she's doing well to date grin

gillybob Wed 15-Feb-17 15:55:55

I would expect a four year old car to be still (or just out of) manufacturers warranty and would always have services done during warranty or you may find you are not covered for expensive defects.

However if the car is out of warranty all together I would probably just have it's MOT done at a decent (backstreet) garage rather than a main dealer and ask them to check the basics (brakes etc.)while they are at it. Can you check the oil etc. yourself Teetime ?

petra Thu 16-Feb-17 19:39:21

My car is 14 yrs old. It had its first service last week because for the first time ever, it wouldn't start. It probably won't have another one smile

J52 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:13:26

My 15 year old Beetle has an annual service at a local garage, regardless of the low mileage. I am happy to pay to keep it in good order. It has never let me down, but I do take notice of the advice for any work, that is given by the garage.
Also, I let a family member take it on a long, work related journey about twice a month. Apparently this is good for the engine, to burn off deposits.

tanith Thu 16-Feb-17 21:16:01

Mine does 6/7000 miles a year so I do have it serviced with the MOT each year, its 6yrs old but has never let me down and as I'm often on the motorway it needs to be. Last service they found a great big hole on the inside of a tyre which could of blown anytime and I had no clue as it wasn't visible until it was up on the ramps so thankful it was spotted.
I'd rather pay each year for a service so that any 'issues' are detected before a breakdown happens. Breaking down when on your own on a motorway is a very scary event which I don't want to experience.

tanith Thu 16-Feb-17 21:16:51

That should say 'needs to be reliable' smile

Coolgran65 Thu 16-Feb-17 23:25:45

My Ford Focus is 9 years old and only does about 1200 per year as we use dh car. It does an MOT each year and passes with just getting the undercarriage hosed.
On alternate years, if it's lucky, it gets a service as a 'homer' by a motor mechanic friend who does a mates rate.
I wash it once a year for its MOT. blush

tiredoldwoman Fri 17-Feb-17 05:16:29

My Suzuki Ignis is 13 years old and we're in love . But this week , it refused to start, throwing me into panic as I really need it just now . My sil came and started it , saying it was just damp (?) and laughed at us both . Yesterday the same thing happened , so I'll have to bite the bullet and take it into my local garage today.
I'm dreading what they'll tell me . I don't want another car !

Greyduster Fri 17-Feb-17 09:26:25

It's some time since we had a car that went out of warranty and service plan, but when the last one did, we used to use an ex Mazda mechanic who had a little garage nearby. He also did MOTs. We were both working then so we used to get the car serviced every year as we did put the miles on it, but rarely get up to our designated mileage these days. I sometimes wonder what main dealers do that justifies the prices they charge, but cars are so complicated these days. Gone are the days when you could take out the spark plugs to check the gaps, and fiddle about with the starter motor (or hit it with a spanner!) to get it going again.