Gransnet forums

Travel

Over-packing

(130 Posts)
Pigeon Mon 15-May-17 08:12:05

Does anyone else have the same problem as me - a two week holiday turning into an ordeal because I can't decide what to pack? This results in me taking lots of 'just-in-case' things which I don't need and won't wear. I usually bring at least 50% of the stuff back unworn. I once took 12 pairs of shorts for a two week holiday and I daren't admit to the amount of t-shirts/tops I usually include.

This year, as always, it's a beach/sightseeing holiday on a very relaxed Greek island. No one cares what you look like, and neither do I from the minute I step off the plane, but this doesn't stop me from getting into a big frenzy and packing nearly everthing I own. I honestly think I have some kind of OCD or similar.

Can anyone share their holiday packing list/routine to try and give me something to compare with? I think this would make me see how ridiculous I am being and spare my poor DH from all my stressing (and from putting his back out dragging the luggage around)

Auntieflo Mon 15-May-17 08:26:57

YES, yes and yes. Same problem here. Panic starts earlier and earlier. Pack case/cases, close and go away. next day, open cases, unpack everything. Panic again, calm down, sort clothes, discard some, not many, re-pack case, close and lock, tie on luggage labels, go to bed. Go on holiday, bring back unworn items, launder all, relax. Next time, groundhog day. Sorry, not much help to you, but I suspect we are not alone. smile

mumofmadboys Mon 15-May-17 08:32:24

Could you start with pen and paper and write down list of what you need eg 2 swimsuits,4 PRS of shorts ,etc. Run it past a friend and check it is reasonable. Then pack exactly what is on list. You can always wash out an odd item in a hot country. I use diluted shampoo if I need to. You will feel so much less encumbered. Good luck!

Stansgran Mon 15-May-17 08:34:12

I think the mantra is put everything out on the bed and then pack half. I'm going on a cruise on a very small ship this week and I'm dreading dh starting to pack. He never takes less than 3 jackets- just in case and always insists I take a goretex which I hate- if the weather is bad enough to need it I'm not going out cos I'm on holiday.

NanaandGrampy Mon 15-May-17 08:56:07

I used to be like this but as we go to the same general location every year I have mellowed.

Now I lay out on my bed everything I think I'll take . Then I marry it up into outfits . I know there will be a washer dryer so even when I go for a month I don't take more than 1 weeks worth of things like underwear. I take 2 shorts( one on one in the wash) 2 pairs of 3/4 length ( same principle). I pair of nice trousers for evenings.

No more than 5 tops but they must be able to match ALL the bottoms and then some cheap jewellery to dress up something if we're going somewhere nice in the evening.

The only thing I always splurge on is swimsuits. I always take 3 if not 4 BUT one is always on its way out so I abandon it on the last day of my holiday. That way I never have to get into a wet swimsuit, which I hate. 1 cover-up.

I wear a pair of sandals, take a pair of flats and one pair of flip-flops.

I light cardigan or jacket.

Job done !!

Hope you have a wonderful time.

shysal Mon 15-May-17 08:57:55

I don't holiday any more, but my problem wasn't too many clothes, but 'things' which might come in useful. My list included : string, sticky tape, sewing kit, spare bikini clasp, several glues for various purposes, a small non-stick frying pan and spatula if self catering, can opener, vegetable peeler, folding cup, plastic knife, screw drivers, sponge on handle for applying sun cream to back.... the list goes on. In fact most of these items would be used, not always by me but helped out others. When I went to a wedding in St Lucia, it was suggested in the best man's speech that I probably had a fax machine in my case to receive the good wishes for the couple!

Derek100 Mon 15-May-17 09:55:38

Why do you need help to see how ridiculous you are; can't you even do that for yourself!

Kim19 Mon 15-May-17 10:02:37

I have a fixed spreadsheet list and each time I return I earmark and remove/insert what not used/could have done with. Proves invaluable for me and has worked for many years now.

Venus Mon 15-May-17 10:02:59

Pack a two pairs of trousers for the evening, and four tops to go with them, a couple of dresses, and two skirts with four tops that match. A couple of swimsuits and cover ups, two sundresses, two pairs of shorts with two t-shirts. A pair of comfortable sandals for daytime and a pair for evening, basic cosmetics and toiletries. . . . and you've done it!

noteinastorm Mon 15-May-17 10:04:19

That's a nice helpful comment Derek (NOT).
If you've got nothing constructive to say dont say anything.

To the OP, - I tend to book last minute holidays now - less time to stress about anything. I remember well taking my daughter for a week to Santorini, I could have taken one small cabin bag for all the clothes I needed - pointless taking a hairdryer with the humidity - and I felt a bit of a prune lugging a heavy suitcase out the to coach for the transfer home - really quite 'uncool' !!!

radicalnan Mon 15-May-17 10:05:13

Imagine having more than one thing that fits..wow

Lilyflower Mon 15-May-17 10:07:13

I have exacty the same problem. Packing is a nightmare. Not the packing on the way home which is easy but the deciding what to take. When I went to Venice for five days in March I had no idea what the weather would be like and packed for warm, cold and hot. Ridiculous! As it was unwontedly hot I ended up washing things in the bathroom to resuse even though I had a caseful of other clothes. I do what others have recommended and write a list which I stick to every time.

KayR Mon 15-May-17 10:08:13

I bought one of those portable clothes rails, which goes up in my spare room 2 weeks before we go. Matching items are hung next to each other so I can see the mix and match options, for both me and DH. If the rail gets too full I take some off. It works for me as it's just transferred to the suitcases the day before. After the hol the rail is dismantled til next time. Easy!

wildswan16 Mon 15-May-17 10:08:50

Be determined. Will you be able to wash or rinse through anything? I would take 10 knickers, 2 bras, 2 shorts or cropped trousers, 2 light trousers, 6 tops, 1 light cardi, 1 sarong type thing, 1 skirt, 1 or 2 swimming costumes/bikini, 2 comfy sandals. You will also have whatever you travel in.

Then start on the extras - SMALL bottles of sun lotion, shampoo etc, and minimal make-up unless you always use a lot. One or two bits of jewellery, sunglasses, a small first aid kit (plasters, paracetamol, immodium). Folding umbrella (for sunshade when sightseeing).

Then sit back and enjoy your holiday.

whitewave Mon 15-May-17 10:09:16

Cor derek I bet you've got lots of friendsgrin

marmmee Mon 15-May-17 10:14:43

I used to be the same but i now put a list on the fridge its ticked and crossed several times before the end but its helping me a bit still take a little to much but not half as bad as it used to be. Dereks wife probably packs for him!

Jalima1108 Mon 15-May-17 10:15:18

radicalnan [grin*
Thanks for a LOLon a wet Monday morning!

I was just panicking wondering about what to pack for a weekend away and wonderk g if anything fits

I keep lists on the computer: weekend/week in UK/longer trips somewhere warmer/visiting DC where there is a washing machine

Jalima1108 Mon 15-May-17 10:16:35

grin radicalnan
It's Monday!!

DotMH1901 Mon 15-May-17 10:17:11

That's not a very helpful response Derek! Pigeon, do you have access to a washing machine on your holiday? Or somewhere to rinse and dry clothing? If so you should think about just being on holiday for a week and pack accordingly, you can rinse things through if they have only been worn for the day providing you can get them dry smile You can buy travel detergent in quite small bottles so it won't take up a lot of space. Instead of packing lots of different clothes think about using costume jewellery and scarves to ring the changes, you can pick up some cheap and cheerful necklaces/earrings etc from most Poundshops. Hope you enjoy your holiday!

elleks Mon 15-May-17 10:17:27

I wear separates; choose a colour scheme and see which items go together. For a fortnight I take 4 tops for daytime,4 for evenings, 2 skirts, 2 pairs of culottes and 2 pairs of palazzo pants. I travel in slightly heavier clothing, plus a jumper and a light jacket.

Grampie Mon 15-May-17 10:17:57

Wildswan, your advice looks brilliant!

Do you provide packing services?

Or should we just use our smaller suitcase?

Blinko Mon 15-May-17 10:19:19

I try to go by Gok Wan's capsule wardrobe. Everything goes with everything else and choose one main colour scheme. My own wardrobe is about seventeen capsule wardrobes..or possibly more, so I need that discipline.

Derek's a laugh a minute, isn't he? grin

farview Mon 15-May-17 10:24:54

Just take a hand luggage suitcase...that will help narrow it down....?

FlorenceFlower Mon 15-May-17 10:29:39

I agree, it's difficult to plan for weather and know what I really need with me. I always take too much of one thing, i.e. trousers, and forget something critical, i.e. swimming costume, DESPITE the list. Tend also leave it all too late and am rushing round at the last moment ..... every time!

Very much like some of the suggestions above especially the idea of more than one swimming costume, and leaving the old wet costume behind - I always try to get one last swim in, whereas my other half won't as he hates the wet costume in suitcase scenario.

We are going away in the summer, driving to France, and know that there will be a temptation to chuck things into the car at the last moment - at least with a plane journey, there has to be a finite amount of what to take because of the suitcase weight!

Am determined to make the most of these years while we can travel, I know that health can deteriorate rapidly when we least expect it.

Good luck to everyone with the suitcase planning, and happy holidays! ?

Anniechip Mon 15-May-17 10:31:11

Hi Pigeon
I am exactly the same as you!!! I am so indecisive when it comes to holiday packing, I want to take everything I own in my wardrobe either because I like it, it's soooo comfortable, or "just in case!!" Even when I go on one overnight stop to my son in Essex I change my mind at least 10 times!!! I have tried the list and it works to a degree but I still change my mind. Last year we went on our first cruise, I had "decided" on everything a week before and then spent the week leading up to the holiday taking things out, adding more and generally getting very stressed. Of course I brought at least one third of it back un-used- all creased-so of course it had to be washed(?!?!?!) and pressed!! We are cruising again this year in July and I am already getting stressed about what to pack!! WHY?!