Gransnet forums

Travel

These boots are made for walking

(11 Posts)
middleagespread Fri 02-Jun-17 15:54:58

I entered a competition sponsored by Gransnet, I often do, it’s just a click of a button. But I never expected to win it. If I win a raffle then it’s the final one drawn and I collect the dented box of bath salts of dubious origin. But the email was addressed to me. Dear Christine from Gransnet, my favourite website. It plopped into my inbox - I looked at it suspiciously thinking scams, but it all looked good. Congratulations, you’ve won a holiday, it said. I checked the details; I’ve won a walking holiday. After flicking onto HF Holidays website and confirming they existed and that I had a choice of location, and a wide range of availability time wise and a full board week for a family of four I did a happy dance around the kitchen.
Telling my husband was another matter; I chose my time carefully, over lunch, after The Archers podcast. He has mild MS and is definitely not a walker. I walk in the mornings – I am taking part in the Walk 1000 miles in 2017. Doug turns wood in his lovely new workshop. In the afternoon I write and Doug fashions a dull chunk of wood into something of beauty.
‘You’ll never guess what?’ I started. His eyes narrowed, (he knows me too well) and his eyebrows creep up to meet his creased forehead.
‘Ok so it’s not ideal,’ I agree, ‘but just take a look.’ I showed him the iPad with the locations. Once he realised that we could do self guided walks his enthusiasm grew. I meanwhile continued my happy dance. Lots of walkers and I assumed that some of them would have less than enthusiastic partners and a lovely hotel, with full board.
‘I like the look of St. Ives.’ Well we agreed on that. When we showed the ‘children’ they were all thrilled for us and suggested a range of grandchildren we could take along, ranging from 12 down to 1 – we have nine now and another two on the way. We declined though we were tempted to take our two daughters but guessed that their partners and small babies might miss them. So I phoned and booked and got the location I wanted and the week that suited too – excellent.
We bought new walking boots; mine had lost their grip. My walking challenge was taking its toll on my body and my footwear. Doug just needed something to replace the ones he’d had for thirty years or more, sturdy leather ankle bracing boots heavy enough for moonwalking should he decide to flee the galaxy.
We packed, having decided that his pride and joy his little old two seater BMW would get us there. We reminisced over those days of car seats, restless children, and packing for wet weather and heat waves. The picnic box packed last with a thermos of tea... But now we just flung a couple of bags into the tiny boot and headed for the coast. Even the dog had been packed off into kennels.
With the top open we set off and headed to St Ives. The hotel was well placed for lovely views of the sea and though our room was compact and situated under the main sitting room we settled in. The joy was meeting so many new faces. Big tables of ten or more accommodated us so there was ample opportunity to make new acquaintances, most were about my age, or older. Several had travelled alone, being widows/widowers or single. It was a new world for me - walkers. I’m more used to wacky writers who keep odd hours, dress often without recourse to a mirror, and make notes continually, often about their companions- to be used or misused in an upcoming storyline. Walkers I’ve decided are grounded, sensible but the more I talked to them the more I liked them. Sadly, early on in the week, my husband succumbed to a bug and his MS, which generally causes him fairly minor problems surfaced and he retired to bed, for days. It was then I discovered the benefits of group travel, I would eat in the dining room and meals were deliver to my husband by immensely kind staff going that extra mile. The food was splendid, a well rounded inventive menu with enough options to please everyone followed by yummy, indulgent puddings that we all felt justified in scoffing down as after all we had probably walked it all off, if not today then we would tomorrow. I’m sure I put on weight though, my walking limited by regular trips to the bedroom to check on Doug. My OH just needed to sleep and I did take advantage of grabbing a map and tying out the self guided walks. I can thoroughly recommend this kind of holiday for Gransnetters, it offers a holiday with a purpose, and that link provides a way to mingle with others, the first sentence was often, ‘which walk are you doing tomorrow?’ What a great opening. The walks were graded, from easy to only try this if you’re an experienced walker. Picnic lunches were laid out after a hearty breakfast, just grab a bag of goodies and go. I felt cossetted – and didn’t miss those trips to supermarkets. Weather reports were always available and the guides informed, friendly and, yes, if I were to go again, then I would choose the guided walks to push me that little bit more. But maybe I’d go alone, leave OH to go off on one of his wood turning courses.
But I can’t thank you enough for opening up a tiny corner of the walking world that I had no knowledge of before and it was a really great way to meet people.
So thank you Gransnet, very very much.

DanniRae Fri 02-Jun-17 16:27:55

Thanks Middleagespread for your post - I really enjoyed reading about your walking holiday.
And I am sure I felt a little fitter afterwards!!
Off now to enter a few comps.........grin

Jalima1108 Fri 02-Jun-17 16:53:46

It's lovely to hear of someone who has won a prize like this and how much they have enjoyed it.
Thank you middleagedspread!

nanaK54 Fri 02-Jun-17 16:56:41

How lovely...

annodomini Fri 02-Jun-17 18:37:44

What a lovely post, Middleagespread. It reminded me of the many Ramblers holidays I've been on in the past and all the friendly people I met then. You now know that there is nothing to fear about going on your own; so I do hope that now this door is open to you, you'll have many more happy experiences on foot.

trisher Fri 02-Jun-17 19:00:01

Thans for this middleagedspread I have just been looking at HF holidays and was wondering if I was too old and what would happen if I found it a bit tiring. It sounds as if the whole thing is quite relaxed. I shall have another look smile

mumofmadboys Fri 02-Jun-17 19:05:44

We went on a first HF holiday this year to Whitby. It was great fun! We have booked another for a week in Northumberland later in the year. I would recommend them ++

shysal Fri 02-Jun-17 19:29:49

I have been on several HF holidays as a single travellor, and can thoroughly recommend them. The food is fantastic, especially the packed lunches! They don't only do walking holidays, they have special interest and family breaks too.
I am pleased you enjoyed your prize, middleagespread.

middleagespread Sat 03-Jun-17 11:13:39

Oh I thought they just did walking holidays - I must take another look. I especially enjoyed the packed lunches too and now have a Child's mix in my kitchen too to dip into.

middleagespread Sat 03-Jun-17 20:44:28

Do it. Enter

singingnutty Mon 05-Jun-17 22:16:30

Well done for this, cousin Christine! On your recommendation I signed up for Gransnet. Perhaps I will enter some of the competitions now I know they can actually be won!