Gransnet forums

Travel

Where in the world?

(81 Posts)
Imperfect27 Mon 09-Oct-17 19:58:52

If you could visit anywhere in the world (and you are allowed to fantasise about getting there in a blink of an eye), where would you go to and why?

I would like to go to Rome - but not in the heat of the summer. I would love to drink in the history, artwork and golden architecture, cast a coin in the Trevi fountain when all the tourist (except me!) have gone home, get neck ache looking at the Sistine chapel ceiling and dawdle across St Peter's square eating gelato ...

ffinnochio Wed 11-Oct-17 17:50:18

Coastlines. Any and all of them. Where the land meets the sea is where I find joy and freedom.

ffinnochio Wed 11-Oct-17 17:52:15

... and there’s always big sky.

123kitty Wed 11-Oct-17 20:39:10

Scotland

grannybuy Wed 11-Oct-17 23:48:28

Havana! We paid the deposit for flights there in 2002. At the time I had begun a Post Grad cert, ( my line manager pushed me into it ). This course had to be completed in my own time, apart from a few days at University for each of the four modules. I was really stressed by the work, and the deadlines, and dreaded possibly having to tell my boss that I had failed. I knew that I needed my holiday time to complete the work to a decent standard, so we didn't go. I have regretted it ever since. Ironically, by the time I had completed, and gained, the qualification, my boss was absent from work due to stress, and never returned.

cupcake1 Fri 13-Oct-17 15:26:06

Another one here for South Africa! Lucky to have been a couple of times and returning again next March. Beautiful scenery, climate and friendly locals but the highlight for me is always the safaris- I love seeing the wild animals in their natural habitat but feel so sad that many endangered species, due to mankind's greed and ignorance, will not be around for future generations to appreciate.