Gransnet forums

Travel

Flying to Australia /New Zealand

(31 Posts)
Emma1850 Wed 30-May-18 23:51:25

Hello all advice needed been asked by friends to go on a holiday to the above destinations week in Australia then a cruise to New Zealand sounds lovely but my worry is the long flight from London to Sydney 20hrs ? we are all 75 but in good health should it be a yes or a no ... thinking of all the things that could happen is driving me crazy and the want an answer soon .

Eglantine21 Thu 31-May-18 00:07:42

I went to New Zealand last October and I’m only a bit younger than you.

I only had an hours stop over in Hong Kong and just kept walking round the airport to keep the circulation going.
Coming back I stayed for three days as part of the trip.

I wore compression stocking for part of the journey and took an inflatable footrest which raised my feet.

Just get up and down and walk about a lot on the plane. It’s a bit boring but don’t miss this great opportunity ?

grannyactivist Thu 31-May-18 00:10:40

Eglantine's advice about compression stockings and footrest is spot on. I would only add that you should keep well hydrated and take advantage of the free leg massage chairs at the airport if your stopover is in Singapore.

NanaNancy Thu 31-May-18 04:40:42

Say yes to those ugly stockings and comfortable pants/outfit and it is recommended that you move about/stand/walk every hour although I think that is excessive. Get an aisle seat so you don't have to crawl over anyone. My hubby and I take aisle seats opposite each other rather than one of us be in the dreaded middle seat. You can even just stay where you are and stand which makes a great difference.
I always take a couple of longer visits to the WC and do things like brush my teeth (use bottled water never drink on flight water) and a little face cloth wash about. Make a big difference to ones outlook on landing too.
I have invested in a head rest that looks like a neck collar and ends the fear of mouth agape snoring and head snap.
You can do it!!!

NfkDumpling Thu 31-May-18 05:22:51

A couple of days stop over in Hong Kong and/or Singapore may be an idea if you can afford the time and money. Both are wonderfully interesting. I met a lady en route who always stayed a couple of nights in Singapore airport to break the trip. It has everything! In Hong Kong we stayed at the BP International Hotel. We thought it might have something to do with the petrol industry. But it stood for Baden Powell and there’s an enormous portrait of him in the marbled, chandeliered foyer! Very smart scouts trotting about!

BlueBelle Thu 31-May-18 05:41:14

Personally I don’t recommend a stop over I go to NZ every few years and just find that a stop over doesn’t refresh me but makes it all a longer experience
It is a heck of a long journey, door to door to NZ including getting to and from the airport is usually 31 hours for me and the only terrible part is the boredom, not so bad if you are flying with others, up until last trip I d done it alone.
I watch the films, talk to everyone that listens and follow the crowd when stopping off anywhere
I wore the compression stockings part way and had a toilet visit every few hours I have a wash and brush up in the loo and the water is fine I never thought about bottle water cos you don’t drink it when cleaning teeth or washing face etc
I rarely sleep, apart from catnaps wish I could that would pass the time better
If you’re travelling with the friends as apart from meeting them there you ll be fine you ll have a blast and the time will pass fast with chats and giggles
Good luck

Besstwishes Thu 31-May-18 07:33:00

I’d certainly agree with booking the aisle seat if you can, but many Airlines won’t allow the aisle seats to be booked unless the inner seats have already been taken, it might be an idea to try to book seats with extra legroom .

stella1949 Thu 31-May-18 08:32:27

Try to book "exit row seats". I did this the last few times I flew long distances and it made such a difference. You have nobody in front of you, it's wonderful.

TwiceAsNice Thu 31-May-18 08:45:12

I think aisle or exit seats are a good idea . I took clean pants and T shirt in my hand luggage and had a wash and change in the airport toilet on the fuel stop and cleaned my teeth. I also took one of those face sprays to spray fine water onto your face and some moisturiser for my face, your skin gets dry. Drink loads and walk around. Take lots of things to amuse, kindle or book, magazines, crosswords etc and an iPod to listen too is relaxing, you can only watch so many films, at least I can. Ideally a stop over is better, we did one on the way over and not on the way back. I was very stiff getting off the plane but I do have a spinal problem. Holiday was great though, have a lovely time.

Willow500 Thu 31-May-18 09:15:09

I couldn't do it one hop - we stayed over in Singapore one night both ways to NZ but it was very hot and humid which my husband couldn't cope with. He went again on his own the following year and did it in one go - he had a 10 hour layover in Kuala Lumpa on the way out so booked a room in the airport - basically just a bed with a shower. He had a sleep and then was off again - coming back he only had an hour so couldn't do that and was very stiff by the time he landed. He doesn't sleep on the plane so the 3 hour drive home from Heathrow was very difficult. As everyone says get up and move about and take things to do on the flight - book, music, iPad - probably the boredom is the worst part.

Say yes and go with it - you'll have an amazing time.

Grammaretto Thu 31-May-18 09:36:50

Having done it 3 times now, I would agree about aisle seats. Keep hydrated though you usually get given water constantly.
Are you going on the new Boeing non stop to Sydney?
I haven't done that but if not then there's a swimming pool at Singapore airport if you have time. If not time then take a shower. I showered with legs up the wall to relieve the puffy legs.
Personally, I prefer a stopover as I suffer from restless legs and can't sleep unless I'm horizontal.
On the plus side, I was upgraded on the last lap to business class despite being dressed in trackies.
Have a great time and tell us how it went.

Emma1850 Thu 31-May-18 09:48:31

Hi grammaretto no flying with emerate in Nov if I decide to go at 75 still a bit concern with the long flight to Sydney it has and 1hr stop over in Dubai .?

Grammaretto Thu 31-May-18 10:33:26

Yes I have done the Emirates one via Dubai but I think ours stopped in Singapore too.
All airports look the same to me!
As someone said, you'll be with your friends so lots of chatting to make the time go quicker and get up and walk about whenever the passing trollies allow you to.
I got very envious of the young Spanish girl next to me who put the blanket over herself and slept the entire journey.

NfkDumpling Thu 31-May-18 11:49:04

Dubai has the longest concourse of any international airport - apparently. When we went via Dubai to India last year I opted for assistance to get from one terminal to the next as I knew I’d never walk it in the one and a half hours we’d got and was concerned my bags would get there and I wouldn’t. You don’t need to be seriously disabled, just unable to make it! Worked brilliantly. You, your travelling companions and hand luggage are all whisked through on buggies. They just needs to know how unabled you are. Asking for assistance also gets you priority on aisle seats.

goldengirl Thu 31-May-18 12:28:39

My trip to Australia was a one-off so I saved up and had a 'bed' plus tracksuit. It made it an even more exciting journey! We stopped off en route but not for long so stayed in the airport - no problem.

Emma1850 Thu 31-May-18 22:24:16

Thank you all you have inspired me and been very helpful making final desisions this weekend will keep you posted !

Purpledaffodil Thu 31-May-18 22:36:59

Echo advice about Special Assistance. DH had it on recent trip to South Africa and it made it possible. He could never have coped with the standing and long distance walking at Dubai.
My understanding is that Emergency Exit row seats can only be occupied by ABPs, Able Bodied Passengers as they need to be able to open aircraft doors etc in an emergency.

NannyG4 Thu 31-May-18 23:03:08

Travel Business Class!! Have had two trips to New Zealand, once via Singapore and then Australia. Travel in comfy clothes, take plenty of reading material and there are usually some good films etc to watch. We travelled with both Singapore Airlines and Emirates....both very good.

Wonderful experiences, lots of travelling around so quite tiring but the scenery in New Zealand is absolutely breathtaking ....go for it Emma1850

allsortsofbags Thu 31-May-18 23:20:43

What a fantastic opportunity, go for it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat but DD1 no longer lives there, happily back in UK.

When you know your airline and the aircraft type/s you'll be flying on go onto a site called Seat Guru they give you a map of most airlines aircraft and show the best and the worst seats. Try no to get near the loos, even if you don't get any smells there is a lot of traffic so resting isn't easy.

I've done Emirates via Dubai and had to run through that great long concourse so going for assistance sounds like a great idea.

Flown with Singapore Airlines vis Singapore many times with stop offs and without. Love the swimming pool and the terminal hotels that can be booked for 6 hour slots. The massage chairs a great and if you are stopping over look on line to see what the airport has to offer.

I used to book a stopover with hotel slot and a full body massage both ways for most of my trips but it depends on how you book the flights.

Kuala Lumpur only once with a stop over, not my favourite routing.

Haven't done the new none stop flight so don't know but all of the above is good advice.

Hydrate, move, be comfortable, have entertainment, washing kit and change of clothes all good things and make a real difference.

Plus I still take my sweets and water. Airlines offer plenty of snacks and drinks but I like to have my own bits incase the crew are on a rest and the cabin is quiet.

I also fly with small first aid kit, headache tabs, tummy tabs, to helps to stop bloating, decongestants as I get sinus problems on long flights, face spray, a Pashmina, an inflatable foot rest (aircraft ones are usually in the wrong place for me) and a neck support.

Plus I wear support socks but the ones with holes in the toes and I always have an eye mask.

Only done business class a couple of times to and from NZ thanks to the frequent flyer program and it was such a bonus.

Think about what will make you feel most comfortable, what you'd like to have on hand while you are in your seat then go and have a really wonderful time.

B9exchange Thu 31-May-18 23:24:12

Make it a round the world trip. Have one or two three day stopovers each way, we did Las Vegas and Fiji going out, and Hong Kong and Singapore coming back, not much more expensive if booked as part of the flight. Incredible experience and we were not jet lagged on arrival. Have a wonderful trip!

NfkDumpling Fri 01-Jun-18 06:41:09

A round the world ticket can work out cheaper. It would have been on our first trip, but then we ended up staying away for three months so it wasn’t cheaper in the end, but a fantastic experience.

Nanof5 Sun 03-Jun-18 03:39:35

Stop worrying about all the 'what ifs' and just go if you want to go. If we worried about all the things that could happen we would never walk out the front door.

NotAGran55 Sun 03-Jun-18 06:28:14

Just do it !
We have been to Oz twice with Emirates via Dubai and loved every second of it .
As my sons say to justify their escapades - ' YOLO' smile

Emma1850 Sat 09-Jun-18 08:37:01

Thank you all for your advice you have put my mind at rest trip all booked ! OZ / NZ here I come ?

Eglantine21 Sat 09-Jun-18 08:49:39

Good decision! Have a wonderful time ?