Gransnet forums

Travel

pets while traveling

(34 Posts)
Gr07 Thu 27-Sep-18 10:21:41

hello everyone
I was curious what do you do with your pets when you go for a trip?
I have got one cat and I just set an aquarium with 12 fishes in it. I travel quite often so if I can (eg while visiting family) I take cat with me..I think that someone will go look after my fishes when I won't be home but I also read that a few days hunger is not dangerous for them.

Lynne59 Thu 27-Sep-18 11:10:17

I've always left my cat at home, with a pet-sitter as well as family members calling in. I've also got fish, but mine are cold-water ones.

Scribbles Thu 27-Sep-18 11:32:53

My cat goes to a lovely cattery - judging by the wails of protest in the car on the way home, I think she'd be happy to live there permanently.

ninathenana Thu 27-Sep-18 11:41:01

DS lives at home so when DH and I go away we don't usually have to consider the cat. On the very rare occasion DS comes too the cat goes to the cattery.

jusnoneed Thu 27-Sep-18 11:55:06

You can buy fish feeding blocks for aquariums which release food slowly over days. I think they are supposed to last a weeks or so.

Willow500 Thu 27-Sep-18 17:02:48

The odd times we've gone on holiday my cats have gone to a cattery but we used to take them with us to an apartment we had an hour away. They were fine once there but not allowed out. Do you let your cat out when you take it with you?

Gmittens Fri 28-Sep-18 09:38:33

If you are happy to have someone in your home perhaps you could look at getting a house & pet sitter. There are a number of websites dedicated to this, and I am sure you would find the ideal sitter from one of those.

humptydumpty Fri 28-Sep-18 10:16:46

We used to have fish and I was told the main problem is that non-owners overfeed them. jusnoneed's advice sounds better!

schnackie Fri 28-Sep-18 10:30:42

I am one of many retired grannies who house/petsitters on an occasional basis. I charge a small fee (less than kennels) but if you live in a city or interesting area, there are many, many housesitters who do it for free - for the 'experience' of being in another part of the country or world. Trusted Housesitters is the main one, and they have a rather expensive joining fee (around £100 I believe) but then you have the free sits.

AllTheLs Fri 28-Sep-18 10:38:39

No, no, Scribbles. She's telling you off for leaving her in the cattery. She wouldn't want to live there permanently at all.

Craftycat Fri 28-Sep-18 10:54:11

We are so lucky! I live in a friendly cul de sac & we all look after each others animals when we go away. There are a lot of cats in the road & I also feed various fish, rabbits, guinea pigs etc & their owners feed my cats & pond fish. Plus it means the house is being looked after too & no mail sticking out of door etc. giving it away that house is empty.
When we had a dog I had a friend who boarded dogs in her own home so our lovely girl went to a house she knew with other dogs she was regularly walked with- never had to use a cattery or a kennels.
Look out for pet sitters rather than disrupt them - I'd be upset to leave them in a cattery as I would worry they thought I had abandoned them but then I am very soppy over our animals.

Tweedle24 Fri 28-Sep-18 11:02:05

My neighbours have two cats, as do I. When away for a short time, my neighbours feed my cats, lock them in at night and just look out for them. I do the same for them when they are away.
When away for a longer period, I take them to a local, very good chattery.

quizqueen Fri 28-Sep-18 11:11:13

My daughter moves into my house to look after my cat if I go away. Her cat comes to mine almost daily so he can go outside as she lives in a flat on a main road so my garden is the only outside he knows. My other daughter's dog comes to stay with me if she goes away.

We never pay for pet care as someone in the family has always cared for them. Even when my parents and in laws lived 160 miles away they would take it in turn to come to mine and treat it as a holiday while pet sitting and then have some overlap time with us on our return but they are all deceased now. We used to take our dog camping with us or to visit relatives. Our animals have always been treated as equals in our family.

B9exchange Fri 28-Sep-18 11:14:53

We also use www.trustedhousesitters.com, it has saved us a fortune on cattery fees, and we have had some lovely people to stay. You post your sit, with no personal details, and if people want a sit in the area they will get in touch. You can look at all their profiles and references, talk to them on the phone or online, and I like ours to be close enough that they can come over and see the house and the animals beforehand. That way we can entrust them to the house in confidence. Obviously hide any valuables for your own peace of mind, but we have never had a problem. We get daily photos and videos of the animals for reassurance, we come back to a clean and tidy house, happy animals, and sometimes even a home cooked meal or cake!

shysal Fri 28-Sep-18 11:16:49

Come and live near me smile! I am currently looking after house, garden and cats for 4 neighbours! I am sure cats prefer to be in their own home if possible rather than a cattery.

Aepgirl Fri 28-Sep-18 11:18:40

Why do people not consider their lifestyle when deciding to have a pet? All pets need a great deal of care and attention. Leaving them alone is not kind and is irresponsible. I would dearly love to have a dog, but my lifestyle is just not suited to the attention it would need. I walk rescue dogs, and occasionally dog-sit for friends.

Diggingdoris Fri 28-Sep-18 11:26:17

Our cat goes to a nearby cattery, our Jack Russell comes with us, usually to a pet friendly cottage. He spent his early life in a rescue centre , so he's very clingy with us and we don't want to stress him. It's only once a year so we don't mind. No chance of going abroad due to health issues.

Alima Fri 28-Sep-18 11:29:19

We have a cat feeding person who comes and feeds our three cats when we are away. Unless my DD is at home then she will feed them. They appear fine when we arrive home, not neglected at all. (They sleep most of the time anyway. Never known such tired cats!)

GeminiJen Fri 28-Sep-18 11:30:13

Like schnackie, I house and pet sit on an occasional basis, in my case with TrustedHousesitters. I agree about the membership cost, but I like the fact that sitters are police checked and have references. I also like the fact that it's based on altruism and reciprocity. No money exchanges hands. The home and pet owners get someone they can trust. The sitter gets to experience a different way of life, pets, country etc. Sits are available all over the world. After a sit, both home owners and sitters provide feedback on the experience, all of which helps when making future choices. I've met some interesting people this way, had some good experiences and made some lasting friendships.

123coco Fri 28-Sep-18 11:44:05

Our cats were utterly traumatised after 2 stays in different catteries . We never left them again. We rescuthem so our responsibility. Animals don’t know when/ if you are coming home. How can they be happy being cooped up in a small pen !!

nipsmum Fri 28-Sep-18 12:18:47

After looking after my neighbours dog for almost weeks , I missed the company so much I got in touch with Westie rescue. I have had my gorgeous girl for 3 years now. Before I got her I arranged that my daughter and family would look after her if I was on holiday or if anything happened and I was not able to look after her. It is really best to think about these things before you have a pet then you don't need to worry about what to do if you take ill suddenly, or are called away in an emergency.

Saggi Fri 28-Sep-18 13:29:59

Ive always looked after family dogs when any of them go on holiday....I don't holiday and have no pets... so am usually available, my sister has asked me to look after her latest dog Poppy...but I've had to say no as 'Pops' is THE most disobedient...yappy little ankle biter I've ever known.Ive looked after German Shepherds... Rottweilers .... And Dobermanns in my time , but this bijon-frise X poodle is a nightmare. My sisters dogs are infamous for thier total lack of discipline.....buts this white ball of fluff takes the biscuit...and the sausages of the table... and the cats food.... and the rabbits lettuce!!!!

Tabbycat Fri 28-Sep-18 13:39:48

Hello Gr7
We have always had cats and, when the children were younger, gerbils and guinea pigs. We used to do house swaps with my parents when they were both alive, instead of going on holiday - when my Dad was working they lived in Wales and when they retired they lived in the Yorkshire Dales, so both beautiful locations.
Now we have Rachel the Catsitter - one of my former pupils and my daughter's friend - who lives round the corner. She looks after both our elderly cats, if we are away, popping in on the way to work and again in the evening to feed them. We pay her, but she says she really enjoys it as she can't have pets in her rented flat.

newnanny Fri 28-Sep-18 13:39:56

We got 2 adorable puppies this year and got them pet passports so they can come on holiday with us. The kitten (belongs to my son who still lives at home) stays home as his older cat did previously. I hope they can still come on holiday to France with us after Brexit.

Venus Fri 28-Sep-18 13:48:34

My cat goes to a cattery. He has a nice balcony to go out on, so he's not cooped up. He cried when we brought him home last time, so I think he has a nice time there. Also, if I left him at home to be fed, there could be all manner of dead animals piled up in the hall, so I can't take the chance. I think he's better off in a cattery where he sees people. They also have an aviary for the cats to look at, so that must keep him amused!