Gransnet forums

Travel

Would you like a Gransnet trip?

(91 Posts)
RachellaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 17-Jan-19 12:13:05

As you know, we have recently been working with Colette You may remember the fabulous Costa Rica holiday we gave away in October. The enthusiasm for that made us wonder whether a bespoke Gransnet trip (for Gransnet users) might be something people would like.

It could be to exotic climes or closer to home. It could be a short trip or a longer holiday. It could be... Well, tell us what you'd like (and whether you'd like it at all) and we can look into making it happen

Mamissimo Thu 17-Jan-19 12:55:04

How about a GN 1 or 2 night mini break in a hotel in central England so that we could meet up en mass - afternoon tea, a cocktail or 2, dinner and then the Argy Bargy for those still standing? Somewhere with good transport links. ?

Alima Thu 17-Jan-19 14:50:19

Good idea Mamissino. Be horrid if we booked for a week or two then discovered we couldn’t stand the sight of someone. Though I doubt that would happen. Second thoughts........

Greenfinch Thu 17-Jan-19 14:55:30

I also agree with Mamissino.It is a lovely idea but it is better to start small and see how it goes.

lemongrove Thu 17-Jan-19 14:56:25

Yes, maybe just coffee and cake for an hour.

lemongrove Thu 17-Jan-19 14:56:54

In a central location.q

shandi6570 Thu 17-Jan-19 15:00:47

Sounds like a great idea, especially the suggestion made by Mamissimo. Not too long, but enough to get to know other GNs.

lemongrove Thu 17-Jan-19 15:11:38

Rachell....must be honest and say it’s a nice idea but unlikely to happen.To go on holiday with a lot of people that you don’t know and may well have nothing in common with except our age?
Mamissimo’s suggestion may work, especially where people could stay overnight for the one night.
I meet other GNers every month for a meal out somewhere,
And others from further away ( infrequently) for a coffee and cake or a meal, but the thought of being trapped on holiday with those I haven’t even met yet is a no-no.I await what others have to say with interest.

MiniMoon Thu 17-Jan-19 15:28:26

I second the idea of a weekend or couple of nights midweek somewhere central, with plenty to see or do.
I live in a town that claims to be "the centre of Britain" measuring from the Isles of Scilly to the Shetland Islands, and from East to west, but I don't propose we holiday here!??

Carolina55 Thu 17-Jan-19 15:28:32

Also consider rail links for non drivers and travelodge for cheap rooms with weatherspoons nearby for lovely breakfast etc

Pittcity Thu 17-Jan-19 15:38:03

I'd be up for a short UK break. Perhaps similar to those I've been to in Edinburgh.
We could incorporate a discussion on whether we'd like to go further afield for a longer holiday together into the agenda.

Pittcity Thu 17-Jan-19 15:44:28

Maybe a special interest trip such as 70s music or Italian art...whatever interests people... for a small group of like minded Gransnetters.
I love art galleries but DH loathes them, surely others are in the same boat.

NanaandGrampy Thu 17-Jan-19 15:47:35

I like the idea of dipping my toes in the water with a UK overnighter.

Scribbles Thu 17-Jan-19 17:01:54

What NanaandGrampy said!

Nonnie Thu 17-Jan-19 17:07:30

Yes an overnight which most can get to. Not just an hour for coffee, to far for most.

ninathenana Thu 17-Jan-19 17:21:01

Great idea.

Greenfinch Thu 17-Jan-19 17:22:02

I think that what lemongrove says is true. Many years ago there was talk of a national meet up in London but it never materialised.People are enthusiastic until a date and venue are set and then commitment becomes difficult.It is difficult enough arranging local meet ups.There is initial enthusiasm but then people have to drop out for very good reasons and the subsequent gathering can be very small.Having said that,I personally would be very keen to participate.It is a lovely idea in theory and could be successful even if the attendance is not great.It is worth a try.

bikergran Thu 17-Jan-19 17:22:41

Single supplements come to mind....confused although I suppose travel lodge/premmierI Inns may cover that.

bikergran Thu 17-Jan-19 17:28:54

(not that I would be going but its something to are in mind they might be a few of you) smile

Jane10 Thu 17-Jan-19 17:35:35

The GN conference in Edinburgh a few years ago went well. People made their own accommodation bookings so could choose type of accommodation to suit themselves.
I like Pittcity's idea of a theme/ specific interest.
We'd not necessarily be stuck together with no escape! How about a trip to York? All sorts of things to do and nice places to stay.

lemongrove Thu 17-Jan-19 17:44:09

That’s the problem.......York isn’t central for most people, but far North. grinI could fly to Spain cheaper than rail travel there and back to York.

Elegran Thu 17-Jan-19 18:03:11

"Central" means different things to different people. Edinburgh is even further North than York, which is the deep south to some of us., but we gathered 20 people for our "conference" and only a few were Scottish. ("conference" because we booked a "conference room" for it.)

Tangerine Thu 17-Jan-19 18:12:42

Possibly a one or two night break. Central UK but I appreciate that this is not convenient for many Gransnetters.

Charleygirl5 Thu 17-Jan-19 18:14:44

I agree, lemongrove for the cost of a train ticket one could add on a few days holiday in Spain for the cost to some places in this country.

Nonnie Thu 17-Jan-19 18:16:16

Or one in Scotland and one in England? Are there enough to do one each in Wales and NI too?