Gransnet forums

Travel

How many of you have had holidays cancelled?

(85 Posts)
ExD Tue 21-Apr-20 14:18:42

Our holiday was cancelled due to the 'current situation'. We booked through Teletext Holidays and have received one communication stating that we would receive a full refund but due to ... dah-di dah-di dah .... (you know how it goes) but silence ever since. Requests for an update by email or phone go unanswered.
We are not unreasonable, but its now 4 weeks since the proposed start of the holiday, (and even longer since we booked and paid for it) I'd have thought we should be coming to the front of the queue by now.
Today we've had a communication from Ryan Air offering a voucher, but as the whole holiday was arranged through the travel agent as a package, surely we should be dealing them - not the airline? There doesn't seem to be a way of contacting Ryan Air direct on their webpage to ask them.
Should we just be patient or is it time to start making a nuisance of ourselves in order to be heard?
Advice needed.

moggie57 Tue 21-Apr-20 15:30:30

i had this .my trip to usa made the booking in feb (should have waited). anyway wanted to cancel in march. (this by british airways). you cant have a refund till we cancel the flight .so i have to wait till 31st march to see if they cancel this....then i can get a voucher to use for 12 months. so i said what if the virus lockdown not lifted for 12 months .SILENCE so all i am doing is login in to my account for them to cancel my flight (june 16th) for 3 weeks......really want a refund so i can pay my brother back as i owe him the flight money..... travel insurers say the same thing........

BBbevan Tue 21-Apr-20 15:41:36

We were due to go on a cruise this coming October. We were given the option to cancel it by P&O. I wasn’t terribly keen on visiting Spain and Italy so close to their dreadful pandemic results.
We have rebooked for another part of the world in May 2021. Just hope things are better then

TerriBull Tue 21-Apr-20 16:26:49

We booked a week in Seville in late March, booked hotels on the basis of being able to cancel almost up the actual date without incurring loss, it's more expensive, but quite honestly well worth it and given the extraordinary situation that's upon us, I would always do the same in future. Easy Jet, Gatwick car parking have both credited us back the money already paid up front. Have small breaks booked in hotels, June and July again with cancellation insurance built in. A holiday in the Algarve for husband's birthday in September, flight paid for but hotels can be cancelled, however we will have to wait until nearer the time as to whether that will be a possibility or not.

Commiserations to those who haven't had a refund, my son and girlfriend were booked with Virgin to fly to Miami in May, they're not sure of a refund either.

Susan56 Tue 21-Apr-20 16:27:06

We were due to go to Belgium and Holland at the beginning of April.The holiday was cancelled so we have rebooked for next year.We had a family holiday to the Lake District later in the month and have rebooked that too.It seems to depend on the company you book with,I think we were very lucky as a friend who had booked a similar trip at the same time is still waiting for her promised refund.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Apr-20 16:29:30

Sardinia and Corsica. Rebooked same time next year.

Cottage in U.K. in July, which we haven’t cancelled yet, we are waiting to see what happens.

J52 Tue 21-Apr-20 17:19:32

We booked a flight to France in May with Ryan Air. At first we were offered a flight at a later date, presumably after lockdown. We did not accept this and as the date of the flight has drawn nearer we now have been offered a full refund.
Although we know it will take some time to come through.
Hang on for the refund email.

Luckylegs Tue 21-Apr-20 17:25:02

You may be disappointed J52 as Ryanair have typically resorted to their basest inclinations and are only issuing vouchers to be used in 12 months of possibly will refund when Coronavirus is all over! That could be another six months! I wish I could write what I really think about the horrible people!

Soupy Tue 21-Apr-20 17:28:12

We had booked Eurostar and a few days in Europe via a local Travel agent and have now had a credit note for the full amount so long as we rebook before 31 January 2021.
We will probably go for late Spring next year.

Grandmafrench Tue 21-Apr-20 17:29:56

From the opposite side of the arrangement - we have a holiday cottage. I wrote to all our clients and refunded their deposits. Didn't want them to worry about paying the final amount, didn't want them to stress about travel and regulations when no one has any real idea of when life will get back to normal. Definitely didn't want to do the "shall we hold your deposit and book you in for next year?" nonsense, either. Everyone sad about their holidays of course, but happy to be able to start again from scratch whenever and wherever they can.

NanaandGrampy Tue 21-Apr-20 20:17:52

We were going to Florida in early May . Everyone from car hire to hotels to parking have refunded .

Just our BA flight now . I don’t want vouchers because I strongly believe they will ramp prices up next year to recover their losses and I’m not paying anymore money .

They’ve offered me a refund on the outgoing flight but haven’t cancelled the return flight yet so won’t refund in full .

I tried to explain if they don’t fly us out I won’t be out there to fly back but common sense isn’t a common plant in BAs garden !!!

So I have to wait !

Blinko Tue 21-Apr-20 21:18:46

Martin Lewis on his MSE website has some sensible advice on this.

MiniMoon Tue 21-Apr-20 21:28:46

We have planned and booked a holiday for December. Flying to New York for four days, and then sailing home on the Queen Mary 2. We've been saving up, really looking forward to seeing the Christmas stores and the sights, but now I don't want to go. We are waiting until the end of May, and if coronavirus is still a problem we will be cancelling our trip.
It's a pity, because we are both 70 in 2021 and it was our celebration holiday. sad

lemongrove Tue 21-Apr-20 23:00:20

Had a lovely holiday cancelled ( in two weeks time) to celebrate our golden wedding anniversary. Just one of those unfortunate things.

TwiceAsNice Tue 21-Apr-20 23:26:44

We cancelled a family holiday in France . We were due to go May bank holiday week. We have received a refund on the house we paid rental for and luckily had not yet booked ferry journeys. We have told the house owner we will book again when things are more normal . I haven’t flown on holiday for several years now. Have gone either to France which we all love or a holiday in the uk.

Fiachna50 Wed 22-Apr-20 01:59:34

I had to rearrange our holiday date for next year. I also think Ive lost money on a hotel, their phone lines are closed and cannot get into the website. I phoned the hotel I was meant to go to. They gave me an email address, still waiting on a reply. Given the amount of people bereaved, suffering and dying it's not important. Im just thankful to be here. Holiday or no holiday.

Sussexborn Wed 22-Apr-20 02:12:55

We had to reorganise our family trip to Norfolk planned initially for OHs 70th birthday but likely to be his 71stat this rate.

Luckily we had talked about holidays but not got around to booking abroad.

Davidhs Wed 22-Apr-20 07:53:00

Rebooking next year is the practical option because nobody has any cash to make refunds, there are not likely to be very many overseas holidays this year.

Don’t worry about higher prices next year everyone will want to get back to work as soon as possible.

BlueSapphire Wed 22-Apr-20 08:24:30

Should have been flying to the Italian Lakes on Thursday. The company cancelled and I got a refund on my credit card within a few days.
Have cancelled my cruise in July, lost the deposit, but could not afford to lose the balance, as I now don't want to go anywhere this year, even if they say it's safe. The company would not let me have a transfer to a cruise next year as I don't have their included insurance, but have my own annual one. It's 'disinclination to travel', and not included in travel insurance.

Davidhs Wed 22-Apr-20 08:32:52

On Breakfast TV this morning the presenters are saying as a last resort go to the Small Claims Court to get your money back.
At present the courts are not working, when they do there will be a big backlog so you might get a judgement before Christmas. Then you have to enforce the judgement, assuming the company has any assets that can be claimed or not gone bankrupt.

travelsafar Wed 22-Apr-20 09:37:32

I haven't as yet had my cancelled by the travel agents, but i DID cancel it a few weeks again when things started to ramp up with the virus. We were booked to go to India in the Autumn and none of us really fancied going after seeing items on the news about the situation escalating out there with the migrants etc. We knew we would loose our deposits but felt it was the most sensible thing to do. With hindsight it probably would have been cancelled anyway. I think my future holidays will all be much closer to home from now on...... if we are ever allowed to go abroad again.

Teetime Wed 22-Apr-20 09:39:16

Our holiday to Portugal next month has been cancelled by Jet2 who want us to accept a voucher. we are reluctant to do so because if they go bust who will humour the voucher? We are holding out for a refund.

Teacheranne Wed 22-Apr-20 09:53:31

I'm booked to go to Crete at the end of June - first holiday in three years! I've paid in full for the flight with TUI and paid the deposit for the hotel. I do have travel insurance.

I think once TUI cancel the flight, I will be offered a voucher which I can exchange for a cash refund after 12 months. This is acceptable to me as I understand that it's not the airlines fault and I don't plan to go anywhere else instead. The independent hotel will not be asking for full payment and I can either book for the Autumn or for next year.

I don't think I will want to fly until the vacinne is available as even with fewer seats or screens around seats ( as some airlines are proposing) I won't feel safe.

Rosalyn69 Wed 22-Apr-20 10:03:55

We have cancelled one to Madeira and rearranged a trip to the USA for September but are not hopeful.
We are now planning to visit Phoenix and Palm Springs next year but not booking yet.

Blinko Wed 22-Apr-20 10:07:56

BlueSapphire re 'disinclination to travel', that doesn't sound right to me. Everything's grounded at the moment. I'd take further advice and pursue this one..