Gransnet forums

Travel

Holidays anyone had one

(64 Posts)
overthehill Sat 05-Sep-20 15:59:26

We've had two holidays so far since lockdown ease. First one, booked pre CV was to a static caravan in a holiday park at St Osyth. We had DGC with us for a couple of days. Sweltering hot but had a nice time. No one wore masks except us and you'd think everything was as normal. Second one to Canterbury in our caravan good weather other than the Tuesday had 47mph winds....very scary but luckily van and awning weathered the storm.
We have 3 more trips out in the van. They're bunched together as they've been rescheduled from earlier on in the year.
We even braved the buses in Canterbury.

HAZBEEN Sat 05-Sep-20 16:35:05

We had an Warners weekend a month ago to Hayling Island and next week we have a caravan booked in Somerset. That will we it for us this year, I start treatment the next week and then of course the weather will be closing in for the winter.
We enjoyed the weekend away and felt very safe with all the precautions in place but we did have a chalet rather than a hotel room. I only hope the weather is kind next week!

Missfoodlove Sat 05-Sep-20 16:41:46

Two, one in North Yorkshire and the neon Norfolk, just perfect.
Back to North Yorkshire on Monday for more walking and eating.

rubysong Sat 05-Sep-20 16:50:20

We would like a few days away, just a change of scenery, definitely not abroad. However going to the shops etc with mask in place is just so weird I'm not sure how enjoyable it would be.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 05-Sep-20 17:07:09

We had a break in the week before lock down. Then a week in the middle of July and booked last week of September -1st week in October. All cottages in various parts of the country.

I was concerned and took a load of cleaning materials, but quite honestly it would have been totally neurotic to clean as the cottage was absolutely pristine.

We behave as we would at home. So eating in -easy delicious ready meals and walking in the fresh air. Very pleasant.

overthehill Sat 05-Sep-20 17:08:36

Rubysong
We found being away lovely you forget about the virus, or we did anyway. Of course follow the guidelines but we loved just talking to different people and a change of scenery

EllanVannin Sat 05-Sep-20 17:29:05

Nope. Don't see the pleasure in going anywhere wearing masks. I'd rather give it another year---God willing, as I'm still hankering to do long-haul to D's Ruby Anniversary so must remain virus-free from now on.

Annapops Sat 05-Sep-20 17:34:55

We had a lovely break in a lodge in Cumbria last month. Felt very safe indeed. We had one meal out in a local pub which we had booked in advance. We unfortunately had to complain about the table where we were first seated ( my DH was back to back with another customer, not enough space to breath). We were placed at a more acceptable socially distanced table but I did feel quite annoyed at the time.
In just over a week's time we're off to stay in a pod in Northumberland. We're planning on visiting the Farne Islands and also spending some time on Lindesfarne. Fingers crossed it all goes to plan.

ginny Sat 05-Sep-20 20:21:13

We have been to Cornwall and Yorkshire in our own touring caravan. We have our own toilet and shower so not much different to being at home. New scenery and we avoided anywhere that was crowded.
We are off to Ely later this month with friends who also have a caravan.

Georgesgran Sat 05-Sep-20 21:22:16

Oh Annapops - you’ll love this side of the Country!! Don’t tell anyone how utterly stunning it is, or we’ll be inundated!

I managed to get to Dubai at the end of February with DD2 then DH took a turn for the worse at the beginning on March, so I’ve no idea if or when I’ll get another break.

Auntieflo Sun 06-Sep-20 08:31:32

We haven't had a holiday this year, so have decided to have all our radiators upgraded and replaced!

Annapops Sun 06-Sep-20 09:07:32

We live in County Durham Georgesgran so fully appreciate the areas beauty. I totally agree with you, shhh..... or we'll have an invasion greater than the Roman one!

Newquay Sun 06-Sep-20 09:13:21

We went to Cornwall with local DD1 and family (been our bubble throughout) beg July-postponed from May and then Menorca August again with family bubble. They’re our annual family jollies. All precautions were taken-too long to list-and all is well. Planning to go to Cornwall again October. We thank God for our good (enough!) health every day

Ellianne Sun 06-Sep-20 09:16:17

October, can't wait. Hope the weather is kind.

Sarahmob Sun 06-Sep-20 09:21:47

We had a couple of days in north Yorkshire back in August and next week travel down to Cornwall for a cottage stay booked pre pandemic. Hoping the weather is kind, but it’ll be a change of scenery and we’ll get to see our lovely niece who lives down there.

Chewbacca Sun 06-Sep-20 09:22:12

Booked a few days away mid September in an hotel and then another few days at a spa resort mid October. Looking forward to the October one because I know how clean and pristine it will be; not so much the September one.

grannysyb Sun 06-Sep-20 09:28:08

Been to a hotel in Chipping Campden for three nights, lovely and clean, now looking for a b and b in Devon near my stepdaughter for later this month or early October.

TonysBride Sun 06-Sep-20 09:44:46

Had a holiday booked (in UK - Somerset) at the very beginning of covid, and just at the start of when the government were starting to close things down, but prior to the full on lockdown, but as I was one of the shielded, we decided to cancel it. We've finally just booked a few days away for later this month to Yorkshire, which I love. I am so looking forward to it. I'm still using sanitiser, face masks etc but I am determined to have a nice relaxing time. Even though I don't work, it is very true the old saying that a change is as good as a rest. I'm just hoping our area (in which the numbers are rising) and / or Yorkshire don't have a lockdown before we go

Coconut Sun 06-Sep-20 09:45:19

Apart from spending some weekends with both sons who live in different parts of Kent, I’ve no desire to go anywhere as yet. I so miss my holidays tho.

Disneyfan Sun 06-Sep-20 09:48:53

We've just got back from the Lake District. It was lovely to be surrounded by countryside and lakes. We wore masks in shops and going in to restaurants but most of our time was spent out walking . It was good to feel some sense of normality for a while.

Jaxjacky Sun 06-Sep-20 09:52:14

Off soon for a couple of nights in Poole, staying in a b&b, recent reviews note all COVID precautions and it has 5 stars on review site. That will be us then; plans for this year were train trips up to Scotland and a couple of weeks to the village we lived in p/t for 4 years in France, all abandoned. Never mind, worse things happening to others in the world.

Jan16 Sun 06-Sep-20 09:54:02

We are on holiday now in a rather damp Cumbria! Lovely self catering cottage and have eaten out in pubs/cafes etc and everyone was sticking strictly to the rules. Going on to the Yorkshire Dales tomorrow where we are certain everyone will also be extra careful. Had a few days on the Norfolk Broads last month once again in a self catering cottage and found no problems there either. We feel we can’t shut ourselves away for ever and if we take every precaution possible all will be well and worth the very small risk

Newquay Sun 06-Sep-20 09:56:20

I was v pleased using motorway services too-when we drove to Cornwall I felt that could be a weak spot-absolutely spotless, well organised, everyone following well marked “pathways” to and from loos. We were masked and washed hands with hot water and soap and “drip dried” on way back to car

SueLindsey Sun 06-Sep-20 09:56:28

This was the year I decided not to have a holiday but spend the money on doing up my flat. Little did I know!!

Bazza Sun 06-Sep-20 10:01:10

No holidays for us this year. It just seemed too griefy. We have decided to rent a house on the Isle of Wight for Christmas for all the family instead.