Gransnet forums

Travel

Are you planning on holidaying this year?

(160 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 14-Jan-21 08:43:21

We've been asked to speak to BBC Scotland this morning on holidays and how people are feeling about travel this year.
According to industry experts, travel bookings have begun in earnest and people are booking longer holidays and more multigenerational ones, families who have been unable to see each during the pandemic wanting to make up for lost time. What are your thoughts?

Once you have the vaccine will you feel confident about booking a holiday?

Smileless2012 Thu 14-Jan-21 09:44:12

Only in the UK. We are fortunate to own a holiday lodge and bought a motor home last summer. We have no plans to travel abroad including Australia where our son lives, even if we're able too.

Ellianne Thu 14-Jan-21 09:46:00

Not abroad, but we have a week booked in Spring and a week in August. Both are cancellable. Hopefully the UK holiday market will thrive in future.

BStP Thu 14-Jan-21 09:47:38

I am looking forward to holidaying in Pembrokeshire in June with the grandchildren?

Marmight Thu 14-Jan-21 09:54:50

I can’t believe the amount of foreign holiday adverts I’m seeing in the press & on line. I’m also gobsmacked at the amount of Brits who have been abroad over and since the Christmas holidays. Do they really think they’re immune to this virus? Going anywhere abroad for a holiday is the last thing on my mind, sadly. I should be in Australia with DD2 right now but I’m resigned to having to wait until at least this time next year or even later. DD3 has suggested we book a holiday house ‘somewhere’ in the UK in August so I’m keeping my fingers very firmly crossed that it will happen.

monk08 Thu 14-Jan-21 09:56:36

Hoping to have some time away in UK during school holidays with the family. Our Portugal holiday moved from last year to this year has now been rearranged for 2022.

Moggycuddler Thu 14-Jan-21 09:56:51

Wouldn't be even without covid. But with covid, no. Wouldn't feel like it or think it was safe enough, even with a vaccine.

tanith Thu 14-Jan-21 09:58:45

If it’s possible to visit my son and family in Gibraltar I would but it’s looking unlikely at the moment.

Luckygirl Thu 14-Jan-21 10:00:36

I have serious sea-withdrawal symptoms, having missed our annual trip to the St Davids festival both in 2019 (OH too ill) and last year. I had hoped to go again this year but it is more or less cancelled once more.

I may try to go self-catering on my own to the nearest seaside, but not till September probably.

Kate1949 Thu 14-Jan-21 10:00:36

We won't be going on holiday this year. Why risk it? Like Marmight, I can't understand those people who have been rushing to the airports during this pandemic. Why would you do that? Just wait.

aonk Thu 14-Jan-21 10:01:22

Under normal circumstances we would go abroad 2 or 3 times a year. We will make some plans if and when restrictions are lifted. Last year we had a break in the UK at the end of August and could do that again this year. One thing we definitely won’t do is book a cottage in a remote area. Would rather stay at home as I hate self catering in a strange kitchen!

mumofmadboys Thu 14-Jan-21 10:08:49

I hope we can have a self catering holiday by the sea in the UK later in the year. But will wait and see how things go.

Cheesey Thu 14-Jan-21 10:09:17

We have bookings, carried over from last year, in May and October in a lakeside cabin in the beautiful place in Scotland we have been visiting for the last 30 years.
We opted to transfer dates rather than ask for a refund because we are concerned about the lovely family who own and run this site. Goodness knows how they are getting through this.
I am very doubtful we will be able to go in May but have everything crossed it will be possible in October.
We live in a built up urban area and are desperate for some fresh air, wildlife and beautiful scenery. We would not consider going abroad.

rosie1959 Thu 14-Jan-21 10:12:08

We have moved over our bookings from last year but uk bookings and Jersey

Imaginethis Thu 14-Jan-21 10:20:57

I have lots of plans and would love to get away, self catering with family in the UK and walking in the Alps. But we won’t be making any bookings until things are a lot clearer and it maybe that we won’t go away this year

Framilode Thu 14-Jan-21 10:21:13

We have a ferry booked to travel to our holiday home in Spain at the end of March. I doubt we will make it and will have to wait until the autumn.

Missingmoominmama Thu 14-Jan-21 10:25:25

I have two walking holidays booked, in Wales and Scotland. I’m hoping they will still go ahead- they aren’t until July and August.

I lost 3 European holidays last year, but was able to go camping to Anglesey with family. That’s a precious memory right now.

Susieq62 Thu 14-Jan-21 10:26:27

Missed out on Italy, Spain, Lanzarote , India , Madeira and Margate last year as it was my 70th! India and Madeira transferred to this year!! Poked Northumberland and Scotland fir March , ever the optimist but it is unlikely to happen! Just taking it a day at a time now! More upset that cannot take my daughter away fir her 40th but we shall celebrate eventually! First port of call is NZ where friend just lost her husband to cancer! Could only attend memorial by zoom !
We love our holidays but we are being pragmatic and staying local !!

Phloembundle Thu 14-Jan-21 10:28:17

No way. Not until everyone has been vaccinated.

Tedd1 Thu 14-Jan-21 10:28:53

We are fortunate to have a static caravan in Dorset overlooking the sea. Looking forward to going back there as soon as we’re allowed with lots of books to read and a few bottles of wine.

pce612 Thu 14-Jan-21 10:29:38

No.
Not the time to make long term plans, I will be staying home but am lucky enough to live in a beautiful part of the country, a tourist area.

Rosalyn69 Thu 14-Jan-21 10:29:50

We have a flight booked for April to Madeira but I’m not sure we will be going.
The earliest I’d anticipate going away is maybe September or Christmas.
I don’t want to holiday in the U.K.

Wigtown Thu 14-Jan-21 10:31:17

We had booked our usual Greek summer holiday for September last year. When it was cancelled we were offered the chance to re book for September this year. We took up the offer expecting this to be all over by then, but to be honest don’t know how safe it will be or even if the beautiful place we go to will have survived through lack of tourists. Hoping against hope we can go .

JaneJudge Thu 14-Jan-21 10:37:49

I had a look at high season (Wales) and not much was available. I don't know if it is because people aren't advertsing or whether it is all booked up. I'm not going to book anything until nearer the time, if at all and I'm not planning on going abroad this year - husband may have to for work but I think that is different.

Annitona Thu 14-Jan-21 10:39:57

We travelled extensively during our married life until my husband fell ill and died in 2019. I had still one particular destination on my bucket list (not hubby's choice) and went for it in February 2020 - ANTARCTICA. I got back just before the big Lockdown. The memories of this amazing holiday are still with me with all the awesome photos. There are still places I'd like to visit before I get too old (81 now) but for now the uncertainty keeps me at home.

Nicolaed Thu 14-Jan-21 10:45:27

Taking a holiday is not high on my priorities and as much as I have missed my grandchildren (who are abroad) I'm not planning a trip to see them for at least another year. A few days here and there at out holiday home away from everyone is all I need.