Gransnet forums

Travel

Desperate for a holiday

(221 Posts)
Annie1962 Wed 28-Jul-21 13:58:48

Since the kids have grown up, myself & Hubby always gone abroad 3 times a year, Spain, Italy and France! Anyway we’re seriously considering booking a week in Spain, we’re both double jabbed! If it turned red while out there we can’t quarantine due to running our own business! We did book Majorca with TUI, as it was green, then moved to amber! I think we need to get back to some normality, otherwise there’s going to be NO travel industry left. Going to make a decision after the next review, which us next week. We live in Wales, (but airport in England) so it’s very confusing with all the different rules for travel.
Anyone going away?..

Hithere Wed 28-Jul-21 21:37:37

This pandemic will never end with the mentality of "I’m not living in fear of catching the covid flu, life too short….."

IT IS NOT A FLU!

Annie1962 Wed 28-Jul-21 22:05:41

That’s your opinion! All the vulnerable and elderly are vaccinated! So yes, it’s nearly the end!

maddyone Wed 28-Jul-21 22:15:03

Thank you Annie. I hope you have a good time too.
We’re going to a holiday house, only three on the site, that share a swimming pool. At present, neither of the other houses have been let whilst we’re there. We’re in a village, not a town, and the house is surrounded by a vineyard. We wouldn’t go into a hotel at the present time, and feel a fairly isolated holiday home is as safe as it can be. Obviously we will go out for meals while we’re there, and we’ll be shopping, taking all the same precautions that we take at home. As you say, people can catch Covid in Britain. We don’t feel that we’ll be any less safe than we are here.

Lucca Wed 28-Jul-21 22:16:43

Annie1962. I respect your wish to travel abroad. But I do not respect your view of Covid as a ‘flu.

maddyone Wed 28-Jul-21 22:20:36

I know it’s not flu Hithere. I know it’s not flu because I caught it in December. I caught from my elderly mother who had been hospitalised after a fall. She caught it in hospital. We were told, incorrectly, that she didn’t need to isolate as she had had two negative tests. We were in a bubble with her. My husband went to her flat to rearrange some furniture for her in order to accommodate her new walker. He got it from her. I got it from him. My mother and my husband were not very ill. I was admitted to hospital where I was treated for twelve days, on oxygen for all that time and treated with a mountain of drugs. I think therefore that I know it’s not flu.

geekesse Wed 28-Jul-21 22:21:43

Annie1962, you say ‘If it turned red while out there we can’t quarantine due to running our own business!’

So if you absolutely can’t run the risk of quarantine, you can’t run the risk of going abroad. Or you can feed your ‘desperation’ for a foreign holiday, and accept that if the covid-travel status of that country changes, you’ll have to accept the hit to your business.

It’s a pretty simple choice, really. What is more important to you, a holiday or your business?

maddyone Wed 28-Jul-21 22:24:02

Annie, Covid is not flu, please believe me. Your elderly parents may have not been very ill, neither was my elderly mother. But I was extremely ill. It’s thanks to the NHS that I’m still here. That’s why I want to have my holiday if I can. Life is uncertain, not just due to Covid, but to other things too.

maddyone Wed 28-Jul-21 22:25:18

We don’t run a business, and we are retired, and so we can quarantine if it suddenly became necessary.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 28-Jul-21 22:48:30

Ffs OP, you sound like Trump. It is not flu. Some people such as your parents have been very fortunate to have mild or no symptoms. Many others have died, including loved ones of some GN posters. You are clearly much younger than many on here. I’m doubtless much nearer your parents’ age than yours. I have some of those underlying conditions which have caused deaths and am sufficiently well informed to know that two jabs don’t provide 100% protection against catching or passing on this nasty virus. Don’t kid yourself that it’s nearly over or that you won’t be coming into contact with others on holiday or travelling there and back (I assume you’re not travelling by private plane and self-catering on a large private estate which you won’t set foot outside).
Fortunately my neighbours are rather like me and take all this seriously. Like me, they are in no hurry to find out just how short life can be, as you keep saying.

Saggi Thu 29-Jul-21 11:07:15

Desperate for a holiday ?!?! I’ve been carer to my disabled husband for 26 years..... and I haven’t so much as seen the seaside in England for the last 15 of those.!!
Nobody is desperate for holidays... but some certainly need them.!!

inishowen Thu 29-Jul-21 11:18:52

We won't go abroad again until things are back to normal. It's not worth the uncertainty and worry.

Jillyjosie Thu 29-Jul-21 11:22:47

Covid is definitely not just like flu. My young, very fit, very healthy daughter had it and weeks on says she still gets breathless when she tries to return to her former level of fitness. There are also around a million with Long Covid and many still needing to shield, Blood Cancer patients in particular but there are many others who don't have a choice of multiple holidays.
Along with Gagajo and others, we need to recognise the connection of this virus with climate change, the current predictions of which are dire. Only this morning, there's a new report setting out the expectation of extreme weather events for which the UK is not prepared. Flying is a major contributor to pollution and climate change.

aonk Thu 29-Jul-21 11:24:06

We won’t be travelling outside the UK this year but would very much like to do so when the time is right. We have looked forward to our retirement and the opportunity to travel more. We have had 3 breaks in the UK, one last year and 2 this year. Yes there are lovely places to go. It’s not cheap though. When the weather is good all the nice places are so crowded as there are always day trippers as well as those on holiday. When the weather isn’t nice I’d rather be at home. I know some will say that they find very quiet places but that doesn’t appeal to us. We like day trips to country places but don’t want to stay there. It’s important to us to have a break from routine and chores. We don’t feel this is available to us in this country. Of course that is our opinion.

Theoddbird Thu 29-Jul-21 11:33:03

Madness to go abroad. Spend your money in the UK. Hospitality here desperately needs your business

Amalegra Thu 29-Jul-21 11:38:39

Life is full of risks, including holidays! The plane might crash ( at worst!), you might get food poisoning or stomach upsets due to dodgy hygiene. The brakes might fail on a hire car! Amusement parks might not have the same safety standards as the UK. Yes there are always risks. Covid is another, that is why vaccination is so vital. I understand some of the more vulnerable in society will want to minimise risk at all times and that sadly ,this is a constant for them. But the world must open up again and we must try not to live in fear, at the mercy of the latest ‘expert’ advice that seems to change every five minutes. Desperate for a holiday? Yes, I’d love a break and intend to take one next year when hopefully vaccines are achieving even more of their desired effect and the bureaucracy and the hysteria has died down.

Aepgirl Thu 29-Jul-21 11:51:33

I understand the infection rate in Spain is far higher than we are being told. The French don’t want us; not sure about Italy.

What’s wrong with the good old UK? There are some beautiful towns, seaside resorts and places of interest.

jaylucy Thu 29-Jul-21 11:54:40

I last had a holiday 6 years ago, the year that I was made redundant.
Despite applying for many jobs and having some temp work, I have found nothing permanent. I can't afford a holiday.
I would love to just be able to have a long weekend away somewhere there is a beach and decent fish and chips or even a day out at the coast would do!

4allweknow Thu 29-Jul-21 11:54:44

Learned of a distant relative who had gone to Spain to her villa, fully vaccinated and no health issues. Caught Covid and has been in hospital for 4 weeks seriously ill with it. No sign of when she can be discharged to fly home. Fortunately her husband has their villa to stay in so no accommodation costs. They are though concerned about how long they will be there as they are using up their visiting allowance. Stay at home or have a holiday in UK.

marionk Thu 29-Jul-21 12:06:07

Should we all be rushing to fly anywhere? Not only is there the risk of Covid but it doesn’t help with global warming either!

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 29-Jul-21 12:13:17

We’d got fed up with airports long before covid. Covid has just reinforced our decision to travel abroad as little as possible, if at all. Certainly at the moment.

Oofy Thu 29-Jul-21 12:14:12

I have an idea the locals abroad might be less than pleased to see us, coming from the UK, other than those whose livelihood depends on tourism. And delays for testing at airports apart, am thinking holidays abroad are not going to be the carefree experiences we had previously, with attractions closed, and maybe local precautions less than UK, so would spend the holiday just worrying. So no holidays abroad for the time being. We have a provisional advance booking for the postponed Oberammergau Passion Play next year, still don’t know whether to take it up. But UK holidays are very hard to book, at least in scenic areas. We live in Pembrokeshire and beaches, car parks, are much, much busier than usual, even in late July

GillT57 Thu 29-Jul-21 12:19:15

Although the risks of being stuck in quarantine far away from home are a valid fear, surely if you disapprove of travel overseas due to irresponsibility and risk of spreading covid19, this still applies to a UK holiday? If I decided, which I won't, to take a trip to overcrowded Cornwall along with thousands of others, I am just as likely to be infected?

Nannan2 Thu 29-Jul-21 12:22:33

Supposed to be taking 2 of my grand kids on friday- monday caravan break in august- just me & them going- but its on a holiday site so I'm really nervous! (I am double jabbed) but of course kids can't have one yet- so ill constantly be nagging them to wash & gel.& ill wear a mask i think. And make them wear one if were not outdoors.(near other people) I couldn't forgive myself if they caught covid under my care, so I'm not taking chances.

Kate1949 Thu 29-Jul-21 12:29:11

Two lots of people we know had problems in Devon and Cornwall with restaurants/pubs being closed due to staff shortages. Both sets said they ended up buying sandwiches from supermarkets and eating them in their hotel rooms.

helen2020 Thu 29-Jul-21 12:31:38

we have been away a few times this year, in Scotland and England there are loads of places we haven't been in this country. I don't find it that more expensive than going abroad with the extra costs involved of airport parking covid tests etc. Sounds like OP has had lots of foreign holidays already, so have we over the years, so we can enjoy what we have on our doorstep (we live by the beaches in Poole)