Gransnet forums

Travel

Suggestions for good places to visit in Wales, please.

(42 Posts)
Parsley3 Sat 30-Jul-22 18:21:11

Mr P and I are planning a road trip in August and realise that the only place we have visited in Wales is Conwy Castle. Can the Welsh grans please suggest places that we shouldn't miss on our visit? We are interested in all things historical and will be travelling from the Portsmouth direction after visiting the Mary Rose museum.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 30-Jul-22 18:28:05

Portmerion is beautiful and interesting, not cheap to stay there but worth every penny. (The Prisoner was filmed there)

Parsley3 Sat 30-Jul-22 18:29:18

Thank you, GG. I had forgotten about that.

Grandmadinosaur Sat 30-Jul-22 18:32:21

I was going to say Portmerion too. You can just visit for the day. Bodnant gardens, Betws y coed and Llandudno worth a visit too.

Casdon Sat 30-Jul-22 18:32:22

There’s so much to see in Wales, I live here and find it very hard to choose.
You must go to Portmeirion, it’s totally unique, beautiful setting and just a lovely place in every way.
portmeirion.wales/
I’d also recommend Laugharne, hangout of Dylan Thomas, you can visit the ‘shed’ he wrote in, and it has lovely views.
For beaches, my favourite is Three Cliffs Bay on the Gower.
Another historical and haunting place is St David’s cathedral, the city of St David’s is also very pretty.
For castles, my favourite is Manorbier - and another lovely beach.
Sorry if I’ve gone on a bit!

Parsley3 Sat 30-Jul-22 18:34:22

Thank you all. I am making a list.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 30-Jul-22 18:46:12

Betws y Coed is beautiful

Sapphire24 Sat 30-Jul-22 18:55:00

Having visited Wales a few times and stayed in Angelsey when travelling to Ireland, I'd recommend Beaumaris, Red Wharf bay and Bets-y-coed. I also remember Abersoch beach being delightful.

annodomini Sat 30-Jul-22 19:07:39

Bodnant Garden, a National Trust property near Conwy, is beautiful and well worth a visit. Early in the year there are many different varieties of magnolia and, in early summer, you can't miss the laburnum tunnel.

Sweetpeasue Sat 30-Jul-22 19:08:08

I agree about Anglesey. It has beautiful bays and beaches. Llanddwyn Island off Newborough Beach is gorgeous. Admit, I'm not Welsh. Just loved visiting.

25Avalon Sat 30-Jul-22 19:08:15

St Fagans National Museum of History an open air museum with reconstructed buildings from all over Wales showing life as it was.
Caerleon the Roman legion museum with a big amphitheatre near Newport.
Big Pit National Coal Museum at Blaenavon if you want to go down a real coal mine.

MrsKen33 Sat 30-Jul-22 19:25:18

Plas Mawr in Conwy, Llanberis , The Miner’s Hospital. Roman Copper Mine in Llandudno. Just three of my favourites but we go there a lot, living in South Wales Quite honestly , choose your area and there will be lots to do and wonderful scenery

LauraNorderr Sat 30-Jul-22 19:25:36

I live on the beautiful Isle of Anglesey, I know, very lucky. Beaumaris is a beautiful old town with castle and old gaol, very pretty and interesting, good pubs and tea shops. Menai Bridge has nice shops, Cemaes Bay and Rhosneigr are pretty villages with shops, eateries and good beaches. Holyhead is a busy port town, not very pretty but with a nice marina and an interesting maritime museum.
On the mainland are the castles of Conwy, Penrhyn and Caernarfon. Betws-y-coed is gorgeous, there are great antique shops and a lovely art gallery at Llanrwst with a cafe that sells cakes to die for.
Hope you have a lovely time and find a great Welsh welcome.

Parsley3 Sat 30-Jul-22 19:40:23

Thank you so much everyone. I have a long list of suggestions and I am looking forward to visiting lovely Wales on a fortnight's time.

Shinamae Sat 30-Jul-22 19:46:58

I recently went on a coach trip to Wales… absolutely loved it… amazing scenery…

AGAA4 Sat 30-Jul-22 19:55:46

Caernarfon Castle is good to visit too. I live in North Wales and know how lucky I am. Beautiful Llangollen is worth seeing.

Casdon Sat 30-Jul-22 20:06:41

We excel at quirky too, if you’re in Wales on 28th August don’t miss this!
radseason.com/event/world-bog-snorkelling-championships-wales-united-kingdom/

Cabbie21 Sat 30-Jul-22 20:09:56

There are also a number of heritage railways, a good way of seeing different areas. Two depart from Porthmadoc.

Libman Sat 30-Jul-22 20:20:10

Georgian Aberaeron is small but very pretty.

Casdon Sat 30-Jul-22 20:20:57

Another interesting and eccentric place is Llandrindod Wells. It has a week long Victorian street festival at the end of August when the locals dress up, and there are lots of free concerts, street music, barrel organs, etc., really good fun. There’s also the National Cycle museum which mixes serious with fun, and at the lake they have races with motor controlled boats every week, which are very competitive. It’s all round unusual and alternative.

MrsKen33 Sat 30-Jul-22 20:21:02

LauraNorder. We visit Llanrwst a lot. Which gallery are you referring to and which cafe? We can’t think of any in Llanrwst

midgey Sat 30-Jul-22 20:28:29

You need to base yourselves in Machynlleth, a lovely town and bang in the middle so North and South are reachable. Castles in North Wales are out of this world.

Parsley3 Sat 30-Jul-22 20:34:17

Thank you for those suggestions. Very helpful indeed.

tanith Sat 30-Jul-22 20:39:59

The Llýn Peninsula is stunning, lots of quiet coves, Criccieth Castle is worth visiting too. Love Wales but I too say don't miss Portmeirion its amazing.

mumofmadboys Sat 30-Jul-22 22:34:11

Llangranog is our family's favourite